Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2011 4:53pm

Style: Judo, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

TMAers trying to teach MMA

Goddamnit this annoys me so much.

So tried out this place today, wanted to get some training in before term/semester started. It's run by a JKD guy but there are other coaches so I hoped one of them might be half good.

I was wrong.

First I turn up for the grappling session, he says I can't really join in because this is the 'advanced' class. Then he lets me join in anyway since it's cold. Unfortunately we didn't get to roll but drilling with resistance all his students were useless. They were all about my size but it took them all far too long to do any mount/side control escapes, especially when my 'resistance' consisted of basically being a dead-weight. They all seem pretty shocked that their 'grappling' isn't working.

Then we move on to the beginner's MMA class. First half of the hour was a circuit, which I hoped would at least give me a good workout, considering how bad the teaching seemed to be. Again, wrong. I didn't even break a sweat. There was lots of grunting and 'OSU's (not to mention all the bowing) but hardly any actual work. The worst thing is, I did **** all over Christmas and am in terrible shape, so I expected to struggle, but apparently I was the only one who wasn't.

Then we get to some Thai pad drills. He tells us to do this weird thing where you switch stances to fool the other guy into thinking you're backing off, then step in for a jab/cross. Basically you punch while running. Apparently it's a karate trick that 'is what makes Machida so effective'. Then we do a 'parry, bob+weave, inside leg kick, outside leg kick, elbow thing. Now, I haven't been training that long, but I can't believe that you'd follow one leg kick with another one on the opposite leg, it just felt unwieldy.

Finally we got to spar a little. Boxing sparring in this case. First we did bodyshots only, where the other guy spent a lot of time punching the air while I waded in KK style. Then including headshots, where I spent most of the time chasing him. I didn't even bother holding my guard up.

Now this isn't one of those not-so-subtle 'I'm amazing' posts. I'm terrible to be frank. I'm pretty out of shape, with too much of a belly and very little experience. If I'm the best guy in the class, that's not a good sign.

The main coach wasn't there, but the guy taking this class took no time in bragging about all the people he'd trained with in America (bearing in mind I live in the UK) including 'the guy who did the stunts for the Matrix. I checked on the website and it seems the guy has been to a few seminars and has added an MMA class to his gym since that's what's cool now. This isn't the first time I've seen this. One of my first threads was about a WT guy doing the same.

How come these TMAers who put so much stock in belts and lineage are so happy to teach MMA with very little training and no fight record. Pisses me off!!

This is the website:

http://www.martialartsunlimited.net/
    Last edited by callum828; 1/04/2011 5:05pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/04/2011 4:58pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought this was a thread necro. Yes, it has and will continue to happen. We have multiple thread in MABS with these people. Trying to figure out why will just give you a headache. Basically, just like the ninja craze, schools will latch on to whatever pays the bills.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2011 5:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I thought this was a thread necro. Yes, it has and will continue to happen. We have multiple thread in MABS with these people. Trying to figure out why will just give you a headache. Basically, just like the ninja craze, schools will latch on to whatever pays the bills.
    Yeah I knew it was prevelant, I was basically just ranting. I paid 7 for something I could do better at home with a heavy bag and a friend.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/04/2011 5:06pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just think there are people paying double that monthly in the states for one of these idiots.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2011 5:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Just think there are people paying double that monthly in the states for one of these idiots.
    Yeah I never understood why you guys pay so much. Most classes in the UK are cheaper and you usually don't have to pay monthly.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2011 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem of unqualified people teaching 'MMA' is going to get a hell of a lot worse before it gets any better.
    I expect to see schools pop up that are giving out MMA 'belts' very soon..
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/04/2011 5:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's amazing is many of these people spent the entire decade of the 90s trashing MMA and saying how it wouldn't work against what they tought, and now they're coming full circle.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have no conscience. That thing is really holding me back.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    1/04/2011 5:39pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    The problem of unqualified people teaching 'MMA' is going to get a hell of a lot worse before it gets any better.
    I expect to see schools pop up that are giving out MMA 'belts' very soon..
    And then it will be time to show up for the intro period and roll with the guy in front of his class if it wasn't already. I'm just glad the only two instructors who do 'MMA' in my area are pretty legit. I'm sure that will change in the near future.

Posted On:
    1/04/2011 5:40pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have no conscience. That thing is really holding me back.
    I think I might steal and .sig that, if you don't mind.

Posted On:
    1/04/2011 5:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This sounds like the start of a great YMAS video...
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast