Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/06/2011 5:25pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sent him an email inviting him to defend some of his claims.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/07/2011 7:29am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bet that went down like a dose of herpes.

I hope you constructed a slightly better means of wording the email.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    1/13/2011 12:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was quite polite (IMO)…

The legitimacy of your rank claims are the topic of discussion at bullshido.net.

Perhaps you'd like to explain what many perceive as questionable and misleading claims.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/13/2011 1:47pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    .. No disrespect intended but, I wouldn't hold your breath.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2013 3:05pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good news. Apparently this dude (Kunin) or one of his students is now teaching their Ju-Jitsu at the Judo club I just join up with. I will sit in on one of the sessions and report back. Not that it will speak to his rank legitimacy necessarily, but it will show if he is a "grab the finger! Break the finger! Strike the groin! VICTORY!" dude or not.

I did see he has a video about a Sambo ceremony or something on his sight, and one of the other guys at the Judo club mentioned a Russian guy. So I am hoping it will end up being a Russian guy teaching Sambo under the name Ju-Jitsu so as to get in the door of this Japanese Cultural Center. But I don't have high hopes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 9:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I will be attending one of Alexey Kunin's Jiu Jitsu classes tomorrow. I talked with one of the Judo instructors at the club where the Ju Jitsu classes are also head and said that they do live rolling etc. Apparently said Judo instructor also has wrestling/sambo experience.

I will report back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2013 6:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just got back from the JuJitsu class. It was pretty much super-basic Judo with a few wrist locks and a realization that you should probably be ready for punches in "teh streetz". There was no live rolling or standup randori, though that may very per class.

Kunin did have a pretty realistic understanding of what is reasonable in a real fight (boxing style triceps stop of a hook to o soto gari... not "catch the jab, flying wrist lock throw") but there was very little aliveness. We had one resisted guard passing drill, that was really it.

I will probably attend when I can for the extra break falling and throws, and who knows if we'll ever get to actually roll. Supposedly he is supposed to be bringing in some Sambo guys to cross train with. So that may be cool.

None of this really speaks to the legitimacy of the ranks he claims, but he is operating within a USJF school so at least he is surrounded by legit guys. And the club as a whole seems to appreciate the variety of arts out there (Sambo, wrestling and BJJ have all been praised by the instructors).

Ok, I can stop posting in this mostly dead thread now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2014 10:15am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just thought I would do a little follow up on this after talking with a few of my training partners (we are no longer hosting Kunin at our club and have since linked with a nice Fadda lineage BJJ/MMA club instead).

The best phrase that was used to describe him was "his technique was fine, but he was mostly just an amazing self promoter". As the ridiculous translation of his title implies, he is full of Bullshido when it comes to rank etc. There are nice things he is trying to do (expand Combat JuJitsu and get various martial arts interacting) but I am not sure that outweighs the weird rank and lineage claims.

Seems to me he is a pretty typical case of "took many years of various martial arts, might even be pretty good, names self Soke of exciting newly discovered JuJitsu lineage and shamelessly self-promotes".

Posted On:
    4/29/2014 2:27pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Minor point - I missed this first time (or didn't read it properly).

I think you'll find that a number of senior JJ Dans have cut their links to him and I can think of one genuine 8th Dan who posted a notice on his own FB page saying that this Kunin geezer is a fraud and had taken a lot of people in (methinks that they should have known better).

His AIJJF org also credits one chap with 8th Dan but I know that he was 6th Dan (but angling for recognition of 8th Dan).

Anyway, I'd give him a miss - based on my respect for the genuine 8th Dan who shelled him out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2014 5:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    Minor point - I missed this first time (or didn't read it properly).

I think you'll find that a number of senior JJ Dans have cut their links to him and I can think of one genuine 8th Dan who posted a notice on his own FB page saying that this Kunin geezer is a fraud and had taken a lot of people in (methinks that they should have known better).

His AIJJF org also credits one chap with 8th Dan but I know that he was 6th Dan (but angling for recognition of 8th Dan).

Anyway, I'd give him a miss - based on my respect for the genuine 8th Dan who shelled him out.
    Sounds about right when I compare that with the opinions my coaches and training partners now hold toward Kunin.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123