Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 8:37pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ketto Ryu Ju-Jitsu

Hi,
    I have been looking for a place to take Judo. Unfortunately, all of the judo clubs I can find only run from Sept-May. I figured, no big deal, I'll just take some JJ until Sept to tide me over. I know of a couple BJJ places but was looking for alternatives when I found this:

http://www.combatjujutsu.ca/

Checking out the website, initially seems okay. Then red flags begin to appear... "reality based", "ultimate fighting", one of the instructors that he trained with is a fat white guy (brocius), another one is a fucking ninja (millis).

Apparently, he trained with Carlos Newton. While that's pretty cool, it doesn't cancel out the fucking ninja.

I thought to myself "Maybe I'm not giving this guy a fair shake, the least I could do is go and check it out. It can't be as bad as I think." Keep in mind that I'm currently on a bit of a budget so $50(CDN)\month made me think it might be worth it.

As I'm about to call them to set up an appointment, I notice a big, red star with the words "View Our Combat Video". Awesome, that'll save me a trip to the dojo. Given that I haven't consistently trained in the martial arts for about 20 years maybe some of what I saw isn't as bad as it looks though, I doubt it.

For now, you can view the video on the website (click on the courses button, see the star). I will add a youtube link later fro those of you who prefer.
    EDIT: Linky

Also, on the "courses" page be sure to click on the "3 rules of JJ" and "4 rules of combat".

EDIT: I almost forgot, their motto appears to be "Train the way you fight and you will fight the way you've been trained."
    Last edited by huge; 2/13/2007 10:12pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 9:14pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    some of it looks OK, most of it looks retarded--but it's impossible to tell just from a website. regardless, you'd be insane to train there if you have BJJ available nearby.

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 9:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They do have sparring but only at higher levels. I took a look at their gallery. I'm a little skeptical of standing armlocks/wristlocks, I'm very skeptical of them for women's self defence and I'm super skeptical of them as knife defence. I would never reccomend this over BJJ if that is availible, and I say this with regards to both street and sport applications. The BJJ you do for a few months will give you a headstart in judo newaza.

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 9:19pm

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brosius? Avoid!

Do a search of the site to discover why.....if you like seeing images of disaster.......
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 9:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Believe me, I have every intention of taking BJJ. I found this looking for BJJ schools. I thought website and video were hysterical and decided to share the entertainment with you lot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 10:26pm

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say be wary of this place. Once you see a guy listing all the people he trained with on his website, I get cautious. He proably did a seminar with most of those guys and listed them on his site to look good. I hate people like that.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 10:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All must fear the Bear-fu!

Last edited by winnersguard; 2/13/2007 10:43pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2007 11:38pm

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got to admit I'm really digging the blue gi with the jeans, quite a fashion statemant.

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 4:17pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give it a chance, see how it goes. BJJ is not the be all end all. Most of the stuff you probably learn BJJ you will not use in a real fight. They seem to teach an all around style: striking to ground work. You make yourself the fighter not the style.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2007 8:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sempaiman,

I'm looking for something that will be fun for me to do. Based on what I've seen in the video, I'd feel like an idiot doing a lot of what whitebelts appear to do (see 1:55 in the video).

20 years ago I took Judo fof 2 years and more recently I took boxing and BJJ (I didn't continue due to my financial situation at the time, but I'm done school now so I actually have some money), I like aliveness in my training, and it doesn't look like I'll get it anytime soon with Ketto-Ryu.

BTW, I basically knew where I was going to go to train when I couldn't find any Judo until september, I was just looking for possible alternatives. I want to be able to compete so a sport martial art as opposed to a self-defense class seems like a better fit for me. Besides, I have a great knife defense... running :icon_bril .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast