228150 Bullies, 4388 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    1/01/2011 11:12pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Infant Swimming Survival

Not sure where to put this so here goes. I consider this my sons first Martial Arts class because I will be having him continue to train with instructors of some kind in gymnastics and Martial arts.

Water kills, so Leo started learning to float on his back at around 18 months old. I took him to ISR sessions and this is his test in full winter clothes. I am very excited about this program and I wanted to share it. Children under 4 years old have larger heads compared to their strength and torso size, so it can be impossible to tread water as older children and adults do. Since they imitate what they see, in an emergency they will try to tread water or remain upright so they must be trained to float on their back. I'll paste in the Youtube details below for more info.

YouTube - ISR_Test.wmv

My son has completed his first coarse as an ISR trainee. He had swam in a pool with a float or life vest about 15 times before his lessons, and I had taught him how to go underwater and hold his breath (or at least not inhale!!) We seem to have around 80 drownings in this area a year, though the number is down due to free life floats at river beaches. It is very import to learn to survive on water as soon as possible.

Leo began this coarse in water interaction and survival at around 18 months. ISR involves 10 minute intense sessions of focused training followed by around 15 minutes of parent bonding. Leo started this later then we would have liked as the younger learners get much faster progression. Leo wanted to swim, he did not want to train!! This extended his coarse.

Most situations that we are afraid of involve a child in clothes falling into water. This was the training focus. As a Martial Artist I respected the system immediately for it's systematic process of conditioning, but as a parent I also recognized the need for the bonding during drying off to calm the fright and make it an enjoyable event.

Leo has done this material for about 30 ten minute sessions. Do not be alarmed, but it is still hard for many people to watch.

I consider this his first Martial Art Training. I taught him myself how to do rolls, the shrimp, the wheezer, etc..from as soon as he was crawling enough to need them. This however is instruction from a Trainer. This is all the things we do as Martial Artist when we drive for half an hour five times a week to see the man and spar with the fellows, when we come up with more money then we can afford to get it done, when we are afraid and embarrassed and we show up anyway. and then it works, and we survive.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Posted On:
    1/03/2011 4:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: EBMAS, LWS

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That great Jeff. I will definitely have to look more into this since my son is almost 10 months now. I really want him to learn to be safe around water since the next house will have a pool.

Happy New Year!

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    1/03/2011 9:11am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have an 8 week old son and that is super hard to watch. Maybe if I had the sound off...

I taught swim lessons, was a lifeguard and swam competitively for years. I plan to get my son in the water as soon as possible. This program looks really awesome. I remember my own clothed swimming tests as a child and again as a professional rescuer. They sucked then too so he's doing pretty great IMO.

Posted On:
    1/03/2011 10:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I commend you on taking steps to educate your child.
    That said i can't help but feel that was unnecessarily traumatic.
    Seems to me the kid would hate the water as a result of all that fuss.

While i know it is obviously a regional thing, kids here learn in the ocean.
    It becomes play even though the ocean is rougher than any human would be.
    I was a regular Weismuller by the time i was three. (not me)

By then i was bodysurfing regularly and keep it up until today. (Ok, that's me)

Ftr i have also been a lifeguard and competitive swimmer.
    I have taught adults to swim who were panic stricken and saved 6-7 lives in the ocean, plus one toddler in a canal.
    (I don't even count the endless assholes i've had to pull out of swim races that couldn't hack it.)
    I say make it fun.
    The idea that kids can't swim is silly imo.
    They love it if they have a chance.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    1/03/2011 8:12pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He actually always wants to go in again once he warms up. On this test day, once dressed, he started for the pool steps to go in again!!! Not in your dry clothes!!!

I took him into an indoor heated pool over New Years at out hotel. He did great and loves the water. My next ISR session will be to go in with him and the instructor and learn the Play Methods to keep it fun but also reinforce the training.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc