Style
    Shorin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stepping onto the welcome mat...

Am a new member. Thought I'd introduce myself and maybe start a worthwhile thread.

Am 58 yrs old, with about 30 yrs experience; starting with TKD/Tang Soo Do (3rd degree black), Aikido (Nidan), BJJ (yellow belt), and Chen TaiChi (3 years). Currently training off and on in Aikido again, and visiting my local pistol range to make up for it.

Getting to be an old ninja. I'm thinking more lately about weapons, and what is practical and effective to carry. Yes, I know guns are good. I own a couple, as well as a carry permit, but firearms arent always practical or lawful to carry. Blades are good too, but have similar problems. So, I'd like to sample opinions out there -- do you ever carry a weapon other than a pistol or blade, and if so, what? What's good or bad about it? Ever use it?

I'm talking about such things as pepper spray, kubotans, batons, metal pens, walking sticks, rolled up newspapers, sharpened credit cards, whatever. Whaddya all think?

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the forum.

BJJ yellow belt? Isn't that just a rank for kids?

I usually carry a folding knife, because sometimes you just need a knife. I like a sturdy metal frame, because I broke a folding trainer on someone's fencing mask, and it was the frame itself that failed, not the lock (the frame broke from the pivot screw to the edge).

When I'm out hiking or backpacking, I carry a walking stick and I keep a big survival knife in my pack. I like them because they can be used to fend off people or animals. The big stick I carry lends itself to bunkaw techniques (Filipino spear), and can hit hard. The knife has a saw on the spine and the blade's about a foot long, and can pretty much do whatever you want a knife to do. I kinda like that it's intimidating looking, because if I run into some crazy on the trail, I'd like a weapon that can scare them off without having to shed any blood. Mostly though, I like that both of them are actually useful items when out and about.

Style
    Shorin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I shoulda made it to blue belt, but I changed schools halfway thru and had to start over.

When I'm hiking I usually carry a pistol, if I'm in VA, 'cause I have a permit. If I'm not in VA, I carry a decent folding knife and pepper spray (probably a better bet for four-legged animals). I agree that a walking stick is a good idea too; even helps with stepping on slippery rocks.

I'm more concerned about what I can carry in the City. In D.C., pistols and blades are illegal -- which is ridiculous given that's where I'm most likely to ever need one. I'm not sure about pepper spray, but its not always a good idea if you're in close range, or in a headwind. Best ideas I've seen so far are "combat pens" and steel rulers. Makes you look like a kung fu accountant, but its better than nothing. I've learned that no matter how good your empty hand technique is, you're always better off with some kind of weapon.

Style
    Kickboxing (student)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, you can find all sorts of wonders with the search function up-top. Enjoy your time here.

I usually have a guitar with me, but failing that, I carry a newspaper or magazine rolled up. Better than nothing, and Ma, isn't SD weapon friendly.

Style
    tai chi chuan, poekoelan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome Capn. What part of VA are you in? I had a relative in the Shanendoah area and was born in Lynchburg (south I know).
    Ever hike North Fork or Dolly sods? Were doing a two day trip there in a few weeks.

Style
    Shorin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd take my guitar too, but it'd prob take at least minute or two before my playing drives the bad guys away (I've been practicing).

Style
    Shorin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in Alexandria. I've hiked/camped in Dolly Sods, tho it was about 5 yrs ago. Nowadays I mostly go for day hikes, either to Shenadoah Park, the GW Natl Forest, or parks in the No Va area. Do you ever feel like its necessary to carry anything for protection when hiking?

Style
    tai chi chuan, poekoelan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ever get out on Skyline drive? Lots of nice day hikes out there, although, many are like a day at the mall. It is possible however to get off the trails or scramble and get some privacy.

I don't generally carry any kind of weapon on the trail. I may take along some mace but that's more for bear than a person. I know a *lot* of hikers who have collectively logged tens of thousands of trail miles (many having hiked the AT and/or PCT solo) and have never heard a single story of anyone being accosted on the trail. I tend to think many of those stories are totally exaggerated. Or entirely fabricated. Now, in all fairness, I also don't hike by myself all that often either. I tend to go with groups, which of course offers an added sense of security.

Style
    Shorin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been hiking along Skyline Drive for about 25 yrs, been on pretty much all of the trails in the north and central sections of the park. SNP is my favorite hiking area within a day's drive, and it is mostly safe, but I can recall at least 2 or 3 real news stories involving homicides in the park over the last 20 yrs or so -- one of them a double homicide of 2 women campers. In at least 1 or 2 of those cases, no one was ever arrested. You can probably research these online. Granted, more people may have been killed from hypothermia or falling off the rocks in the last 20 yrs, but I'd say at least some pepper spray is a good idea. It don't weigh much.

Style
    Weight Training
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the site!

Probably a good idea to do that I guess. I'll be hiking through part of the Canadian Rockies soon. Really looking forward to it.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido