221326 Bullies, 4037 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/31/2010 12:55pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thai liniment questions

Okay, so, I got some free samples of Thai liniment that I've started to use.

I notice the sensation is similar to using Icy Hot and it seems to be working well. But, I've already put in more use than I normally would on such a product without knowing its exact composition. And everyone guards their family recipe.

Basically, every time I try one of these unregulated products I think back to the fact that herbal sleep aids often contain known carcinogens and then I get nervous and stop. Does anyone know in general if I'm rubbing cancer oil on my boo boos?

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    12/31/2010 1:46pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampa View Post

I notice the sensation is similar to using Icy Hot and it seems to be working well. But, I've already put in more use than I normally would on such a product without knowing its exact composition. And everyone guards their family recipe.

Basically, every time I try one of these unregulated products I think back to the fact that herbal sleep aids often contain known carcinogens and then I get nervous and stop. Does anyone know in general if I'm rubbing cancer oil on my boo boos?
    I am going to make an assumption that your thai liniment is similar to the dit da jow that we use in our Hung ga training. I think it is essentially the same stuff (bruising liniment)

I have seen some of the steps on how it's made (not really familiar with the full gamut of ingredients) but I know the most abundant is ethanol/alcohol which gives it that balm/icyhot sensation (the alcohol is absorbed into the skin quickly giving you that cooling sensation). Absorbing relatively small amounts of ethanol into the skin is probably safe, considering it is the same type of alcohol you'd drink, and is probably metabolized or sweated out of the body quickly.

As far as all the other herbs, I think you're exactly right: who the hell knows, it depends on the family/lineage formulas. Some of the more public recipes I have found online include common medicinal herbs that are found in bruising treatments, basically all topical analgesics of one form or another.

I have personally gotten allergic skin reactions to using jow a few times, but not every time and this is probably because I came in contact with residue from a particular undissolved herb in the jow. Even then the skin reaction was minor and more due to my own body chemistry than the liniment.

Overall I've been using da jow for about a year with no (obvious) ill effects. As far as carcinogens, you are probably taking in way more in the air you breath than from occasional uses of herbal ethanol.

Edit: Just don't drink the ****.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/31/2010 2:00pm at . Reason: lol

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/31/2010 2:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lampa, next time i see you, i'll give you some thai liniment and some dit da jow that i made (you can either have my sigung's secret recipe or tom bisio's public one.)

in my opinion (and i have been using both for almost 10 years now) they are not similar at all. the thai stuff is very good for muscle strain, and the dit da jow is better for bruising.

edit: and no i have no idea if the thai stuff will give you cancer, or is bad for you. the stuff in tom bisio's dit da jow seems safe and you can look up every ingredient if you like.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    5/04/2011 3:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampa View Post

I actually did a bunch of research on this stuff back when I tore my MCL in July... It's crap. It just makes it hot, but doesn't do anything. The main ingredient is methyl salicylate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_salicylate) which can kill you if you OD on it.

I was so sick of liniments not working that I actually made my own and now sell it online. I won't post the name or the link, because that's more or less spamming.

I honestly think the only stuff that works are the chemical-free ones and even that is a guessing game unless you have a solid dit da jow recipe.

If you wanna give my stuff a try, I'll hook you up with a bottle since you live no more then 5 minutes from me (Freeport)

Posted On:
    5/04/2011 4:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use this stuff all the time, so do a lot of people I know, never thought of getting cancer from it, sure everything gives you cancer these days...

Posted On:
    11/18/2011 10:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thai Liniment used in martial arts is called "Namman Muay". The active ingredients are all natural from regional botanicals and the container is glass. Glass is known to be BPA free; watch out for those xenohormones found in plastics. It has been used for generations during intense training and fighting; it is most likely the most time tested product considering the amount of professional Muay Thai fighters that exist in Thailand alone using it daily.

We agree with Ming Loyalist with a twist, Namman Muay is very good for strain, pain, warming up, and massage therapies; Dit Da Jow is better for bruising.

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    11/19/2011 10:10am

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by destrolio View Post
    I actually did a bunch of research on this stuff back when I tore my MCL in July... It's crap. It just makes it hot, but doesn't do anything. The main ingredient is methyl salicylate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_salicylate) which can kill you if you OD on it.

I was so sick of liniments not working that I actually made my own and now sell it online. I won't post the name or the link, because that's more or less spamming.

I honestly think the only stuff that works are the chemical-free ones and even that is a guessing game unless you have a solid dit da jow recipe.

If you wanna give my stuff a try, I'll hook you up with a bottle since you live no more then 5 minutes from me (Freeport)

So you did research and found it to be crap?

Where is your research report with this information?

What primary and secondary sources of information did you use?

You were so sick of liniments not working that you started to make your own and sell them?

Which liniments did not work for you?

Where did you purchase them from?

Where did you get your traditional herbal training? Books or did you get actual instruction from someone?

Who taught you how to make Thai Liniment or Dit Da Jow?

I am just curious, as you do not give your name, where you live or where you learned how to do this.

Making liniments is not the easiest the thing. It is not rocket science but you need to understand some concepts as well as having clean herb sources.

Many of the liniment formula that are floating around the internet are mistranslated or contain some seriously deadly herbs and substances. Let me know if I can help as I read and write Chinese and can translate formulations correctly.

One should always check in with a professional acupuncturist and herbalist when they are not professionally trained to ensure they do no harm to themselves or others.

There are some Dit Da Jow formulations that are better for pain, while others are more for bruising, arthritis, etc.

You can custom make a formula by adding certain herbs to do certain things. This is where having someone who knows what they are doing, can show you how to customize.

Let me know how I can be of service to anyone here with Herbs and Dit Da Jow. I have been making it for over 20 years.

I have sent many people here on Bullshido my medicines and they seem to find them decent quality. Here is a link to the review section where some well known Bullies reviewed my medicines.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=108329&page=1

I also make an oil based medicine that can be used for sore and painful muscles as well as getting a better massage treatment.

I advertise my services here on Bullshido with a paid business subscription, as well as being internationally and professionally well known so no worries about buying from an unknown net ghost with questionable products.
    Last edited by Mor Sao; 11/19/2011 10:23am at .