mma review ratings
    Aliveness: 7

Equipment: 6

Gym Size: 7

Atmosphere/Attitude: 10

Striking Instruction: 7

Grappling Instruction: 5

Weapons Instruction: 5

The WHITE club in the Palmiye mall of Balçova, Izmir, Turkey includes a heck of a lock of stuff: a lifting/cardio gym, yoga and spin rooms, Wing Chun, and so on. Except for location, this review addresses only the Muay Thai kickboxing classes.

Adult classes are Monday thru Thursday 20:30 - 21:30. I've been told of a class at 18:30 on Sunday but I have not been to it. Private and semi-private lessons are available. Tuition for muay Thai is 120 TL a month and is separate from the rest of the facilities. Some adults go to earlier classes but I have not figured out that part of the schedule. Classes are in Turkish but there's always a student or instructor around who can translate to English.

The instructors and students are all very kind and welcoming. It's my understanding that both instructors have kickboxing, boxing, or muay Thai competition experience.

Classes are usually structured as 1) a brief warm-up of running, getting the joints ready, and shadowboxing, 2) technique or pad work, 3) conditioning. Muay Thai sparring occurs in probably half the classes; it is sometimes run under boxing rules. Classes frequently run later than 21:30.

There are a half-dozen heavy bags, including a full-length Thai bag. They have plenty of Thai pads, some boxing mitts, and a few gloves and shinguards to borrow.

Neither grappling nor weapons are taught. I tried to not give those a rating but it insists on having something.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    12/18/2013 6:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some corrections:

The weekend class is at 18:00 and may be on Saturday. I'm not sure.

Tuition is 120 TL for 2 classes a week, an additional 80 TL (200 TL total) for more. You must pick a Monday-and-Wednesday or Tuesday-and-Thursday schedule.

Wednesday has been sparring night recently, mostly pretty light contact. Other nights generally don't have sparring.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates