Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 8:30pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New Judogi advice.

Right , need an IJF approved Judogi under 100 ($150) for competition.

Sounds easy right. Im at approx 48 inch chest, and 38ish inch waist. 6"0, 270 ish, you know the rest.

And before my fellow brits pipe up with Blitz, Im in a 185cm heavyweight at the moment and its just not cutting it.

Where the **** can I get a gi to fit a massive fucker like me?

P.S, This is in YMAS because id feel like an asshole not giving doofaloofa the oppurtunity to get a fat joke in.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 9:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard good things about Fighting Films gis, not sure about the fatty aspect though.

Danhro offer different cuts for each gi, they might be worth checking out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2011 4:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have not tried the Toraki Gi myself, but they may be worth a look as they do custom sizes.

http://www.toraki.com/eu/en/asp/dept.asp?id=110

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2011 4:31am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These Guys have a pretty good range and there is an oversized section.

Posted On:
    9/27/2011 5:00am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Juggernoob, aren't you a white belt? Why on earth would you need an IJF approved gi?

Don't know about the cheaper versions, but the Fighting Films master gi is cut slim.

I bought a Toraki Gold 4.5, weighing 95kg at 6ft. I call it my fat suit, because its quite roomy.

Its supposed to be for people from 5'10" - 6' 1" and 86 - 100 kg, but you could probably get up to a 110/115kg person in there.

So their 5/5.5 will probably give you enough room in the jacket. However, their trousers are long. In fact I don't wear their trousers because they're two long and I have two other sets of trousers that I wear on rotation with it and my FF kit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2011 11:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Juggernoob, aren't you a white belt? Why on earth would you need an IJF approved gi?

Don't know about the cheaper versions, but the Fighting Films master gi is cut slim.

I bought a Toraki Gold 4.5, weighing 95kg at 6ft. I call it my fat suit, because its quite roomy.

Its supposed to be for people from 5'10" - 6' 1" and 86 - 100 kg, but you could probably get up to a 110/115kg person in there.

So their 5/5.5 will probably give you enough room in the jacket. However, their trousers are long. In fact I don't wear their trousers because they're two long and I have two other sets of trousers that I wear on rotation with it and my FF kit.
    Not anymore, and because I want one for the sake of cutting out any possible bullshit with comps. I've only got my Blitz at the moment and I think the sleeves are just a bit too short. Need to get them pulled.

I can always get spare trousers from blitz, they fit just fine.

This may sound odd, but im basically the same dimensions as a lot of the Jap heavyweights, why is it they can find gi's that fit them, but I cant. Its irritating.

****, have people forgotten what Yamishita looks like, whats with all the skinny love.

Also do Jits, so need a good solid gi. Dont like those faggoty scout patch ones. Like proper solid judogis.
    Also, doofaloofa still hasnt taken the bait.
    Last edited by The Juggernoob; 9/27/2011 11:42am at .

Posted On:
    9/27/2011 11:27am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juggernoob View Post
    Not anymore, and because I want one for the sake of cutting out any possible bullshit with comps. I've only got my Blitz at the moment and I think the sleeves are just a bit too short. Need to get them pulled.
    Congratulations on the promotion.

I think you're a little confused.

You seem to be conflating two issues.

Your gi needs to be 'contest legal' that is to say it needs to meet certain minimum dimension criteria. These criteria are generally based on the criteria set by the IJF and simply copied into the NGB's criteria.

There's is a completely separate issue of 'IJF approved Judo gi', this has nothing to do with dimension criteria and entirely to do with extracting money from manufacturers for rights to have a manufacturers gi allowed to be worn by athletes at IJF events.

These two things are not one and the same.

You can have a contest legal gi, that isn't an 'IJF approved Judo gi', because 'IJF approved' only applies to the manufacturer not to the cut or dimensions of the gi.

So you can enter a local kyu grade comp with a gi from an 'IJF approved' manufacturer and still fail the dimension criteria if your sleeves are too short etc...

If you're a 6th-1st kyu competing at a local comp, no one is going to get out the sokuteiki and measure you. You'll only be pulled up if your sleeves are halfway up your bicep or something equally ridiculous.

You don't need a gi from an 'IJF approved' manufacturer to be legal in British kyu grade comps, but your gi needs to be roughly ok.

If you can fit significantly more than three fingers between teh bone of your wrist joint and the edge of your sleeve, with your arm fully extended, then its too short - otherwise its fine.

I can always get spare trousers from blitz, they fit just fine.

This may sound odd, but im basically the same dimensions as a lot of the Jap heavyweights, why is it they can find gi's that fit them, but I cant. Its irritating.
    Because they get them specially, measured, fitted and tailored...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2011 11:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post

Because they get them specially, measured, fitted and tailored...
    The Toraki Gold looks awesome, I used the fitting option to check. The only issue is the price, which is reasonable without VAT and shipping. My poor student ass may have to get another blitz.

Posted On:
    9/27/2011 12:10pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Toraki Gold looks awesome, I used the fitting option to check. The only issue is the price, which is reasonable without VAT and shipping. My poor student ass may have to get another blitz.
    Yeh the VAT and shipping really whacks it up a bit, I think they come from Holland and they must have some high tax mark ups over there.

Trying to think if there are other makes that are roomy, but only Toraki springs to mind and that's only from personal experience.

Other makes you may want to look into are Matsuru and Adidas both are good makes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2011 1:45pm

Style: Judo noob, BJJ uber noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To further what judoka_uk was saying, my favourite gi which I wear to comps (an Essimo Ippon, but it's a slim cut, can't speak for the man sized ones) is so old that the sleeves have shrunk to hilariously illegal. Like 1/4 of my forearm is exposed illegal. Never been called on it at a comp, even though I was at one on Sunday and the refs noticed I had a tear in the patch on my back which someone could have snagged a finger in so it had to come off. Checks for safety, yes. Checks for sleeve length, no. Yay!

Oddly, I have the opposite problem to you. As a beanpole (6' 3", 85kg) I find most basic gis are made for super fat men. My Blitz gi looks ridiculous on me. I have a comfy Rei gi (to pimp my coach's line) but it's more of a BJJ one so can't say what the judogi fit is like.