All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/24/2010 1:55pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Any experinces with Fox knives?

I keep hearing this brand mentioned in reviews and threads on emerson products as being quality competition at a lower price, and I noticed they make some folders which ship with extra blades and are designed to have their blades changed out...this has some obvious appeal for training...they are italian is my understanding which is better than made in china I guess...
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    12/24/2010 2:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no direct experience with Fox knives. But once upon a time I use to work as a knife wholesaler. So I have a fairly reasonable understanding of things to look at when looking at a knife.
    Looks like they like to use G10 for handles this is a good thing.
    Looks like they like to use N690 steel for blades this is a good alloy holds an edge pretty well.
    Now to the important thing, the lock
    L.A.W.K.S. locking system.
    To me this is a big seller as it is a decent locking system that is not likely to fair as you thrust your knife into something.
    So all and all it has good components and materials. I can't comment on the actual fit and finish or production quality obviously.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/24/2010 11:28pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah you're echoing my thoughts - on paper, there's a lot to like.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    12/24/2010 11:56pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    N690Co Steel is supposed to be very high grain, so it should be able to hold a more fine edge than most steels close to that of a VG-10 or so. I don't have any personal experience with this steel, but if it's as close to VG-10 as it sounds then it should be a very good performing blade steel. Easy to sharpen and good hardness.

That said, I just checked out their prices and they really don't seem that much lower than Emerson's. If I wanted a great knife for less that had an emerson wave style opener on it, I'd get a Spyderco Delica 3 with the Emerson Wave. I already have a standard Delica and the VG-10 steel is great, plus the knife is very well put together. One of my absolute favorites.

EDIT: I do have to say, the more I look at the COL MOSCHIN on their website the more I like it... It's much better looking than an Emerson IMO. Grip looks more ergonomic, plus it's got that cool looking pommel on it (not that its particularly useful, but I like it).
    Last edited by IMightBeWrong; 12/25/2010 12:02am at .

Posted On:
    12/25/2010 12:13am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speaking of tatical folders I like that are cheaper then Emerson
    I like SOG knives a lot(or at least 10 years ago they where very good).
    Usally made with VG-10 or Aus 8 on the cheaper ones
    Once again I tend to worry more about the locking mechanism and I like SOGs.
    http://sogknives.com/store/PE14.html
    I love me the Pentagon its a good poking knife at $150
    VG-10 blade
    and the arc lock is pretty damn strong.
    Biggest draw back is perhaps legal issues with the 4 inch blade.

Its a shame REKAT appears to not be around they had some nice folders.

Posted On:
    12/25/2010 12:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually currently carry a Pentagon Elite I. I think it was SFGoon that had recommended the Pentagon Elite series. I had thought it was made with AUS-8 and when I found out it was VG-10 I went out and got one. But it isn't 150 dollars. I got mine for 100+tax and that was with a slight mark up.

Posted On:
    12/25/2010 7:33pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    I actually currently carry a Pentagon Elite I. I think it was SFGoon that had recommended the Pentagon Elite series. I had thought it was made with AUS-8 and when I found out it was VG-10 I went out and got one. But it isn't 150 dollars. I got mine for 100+tax and that was with a slight mark up.
    Your right I just did some shopping around and you can get a Pentagon Elite into the $80 range. I always liked that knife. Very simple very effective.
    How long ago did you pick it up? I am curious as to if SOG still has a decent fit and finish to it?

Posted On:
    12/25/2010 7:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got it about a month and a half ago, maybe 2 months at most. They upgraded the pocket clip on it now as well. Used to be fixed and come out of the bottom of the grip and wrap around to the right side only, no way to swap it out. It's now screwed into the side with one large hex screw and two small phillips head screws and can be put on either side. The finish is a light matte gray and stays on really well. Not that it really needs a finish on the VG-10 blade, but it looks nice. It opens smoother than any of my other knives.