Posted On:
    12/23/2010 9:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo / Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Getting back to judo after injury - my recovery program

Hi,

Sorry, this will be a long post, apologies for that.

Early November, I partially ruptured an LCL and damaged the femur articular cartilage when my partner tripped and felt full-force on my right leg during a judo randori.

I had my leg immobilized for a month, and started physio two weeks ago, which mainly consists in safely learning how to walk again, cycling and doing leg extension / bend. I will be (to be confirmed by the doctor next week) able to start again some moderate physical activity in January. Probably I will be back to judo training end in March. As for kendo... well, given the strain kendo inflict on your right leg and knee, I will forget about it and get back to it in 2012...

I would like to prepare during January and February for Judo so I am confident on my legs and not afraid to break something again, do not die during training and do not wish I died the day after when I feel the pain of my sore abs, shoulders and quads.

I therefore looked into my conditioning programs, and extracted some specific exercise to make a workout program I can use for January. I would happy to receive anybody's opinions / suggestions / comments about it.

First a couple of personal data:
    I am 1m70 / 5'57'' tall, and weight 74 Kg / 163 lbs. Before the accident, I was training judo 3 times a week, in a school with a heavy focus on competition. One of the training session is focus on newaza and pure technique, the other two are on physical conditioning and randori (full, taichi-waza and newaza). I also worked-out 2 times per week, doing 6 weeks programs, with a focus on fortifying abs and back (30 min), upper torso (30 min) and legs (30 min) and alterning programs of endurance and programs of strength. I was also running an hour in the week-end.

Ok, now the program objectives:
    #1 Do not stress or damage the ligament and enable recovery to continue (avoid excessive bends with weight, do not twist or rotate the leg, etc)
    #2 Fortify muscles which support the knees, as well as hips and lower back
    #3 Get back in a condition that allows me to progressively and confidently start again a lighter version of my usual work-out in February, start the newaza / technical class in March and full training program again in April.
    #4 Do not discover a new form of pain due to soreness when I start training at full intensity again...

The program:
    The idea is to start light and soft, and using mainly the swiss ball (or stability ball) as I think it would allow me to fortify the areas I need while avoiding risks of injuries on the ligament.
    So I think to adjust the frequency as follows;
    Week 1: 2 sessions, no weight (except where specified), half number of reps / time, doing all exercise with the two legs
    Week 2: 3 sessions, start to increase number of reps / time, otherwise as above
    Week 3: 3 sessions, no weight (except where specified), doing the 1 leg version of each exercise, where applicable
    Week 4: 3 sessions, using weight (tbd), doing the 1 leg version of each exercise, where applicable

The session
    - warm up: 10 minutes cycle, low tension, ~60 rpm
    - Swissball V sit-up (3x 10), alternate with Swissball squat (3x 20)
    - Swissball hamstring curl (3x 20 reps), alternate with Swissball knee tuck (3x 12 reps)
    -Swissball dumbbell press (3x 12 reps, 2x 10 Kg), alternate with sitting on the ball (arms crossed on the chest, legs up, 3x 1minute)
    - Swissball back extension (3x 12 reps), alternate with Swissball leg lift lat crunches (lift the ball with the legs, touch each of your foot with the opposite hand with keeping the legs straight, 3x20 reps)
    - Push ups (3x 50 reps), alternate with leg extensions (3x 20 reps, 10Kg attached to each leg)
    - Pull-ups (3x 10 reps), 1 minute rest between reps, alternate face-palm and face-back grips
    - 10 minutes stretching

What do you think?
    - Does this program seems appropriate for my primary objectives?
    - Do you see other exercises which are a better fit?
    - Is there any flex and strech exercise for the legs I should add?
    - Anything else based on your experience

On a side note, I am also considering going to the Ju-Jitsu kata class in March, to complement the judo technical class in order to get my marks in a safe ways.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the looooong post.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/25/2010 8:06am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just in case, I also found this for general advices and exercises on knee rehab;
    http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8119...bilitation.htm

Here the use of a resistance band is more indicated than the use of weight, so I will try that first.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    12/25/2010 8:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to consult with a professional (MD and physical therapist) about how to best rehab your knee, not the Internet. I'm surprised you did not have to have surgury to repair your knee given your brief description of the injury.

Ben

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/25/2010 9:33am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ben,

Thanks. I am also followed-up with a professional, which of course I will consult about the program before getting into it. The thing is that I like to make some up-front work first, and coming with a proposal, rather than ask him out of the blue "what should I do to be able to go to my usual work-out routine and judo?".

I was probably not clear or specific enough in my explanation; actually, this is not a "rehab" program, as I am currently doing this with professionals, but more a "get back in shape and have self-confidence to go back to work-out and training" once rehab is done and I can start again moderate physical activity. Sorry for the confusion.

As far as I understood from the doctor, you rarely need surgery for an LCL, and it is usually only if it is completely ruptured, which wasn't my case (20-25% torn).

Edit: to make my intent more clear

Regards
    Last edited by bakdosh; 12/25/2010 9:59am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/25/2010 10:17am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bakdosh View Post
    Just in case, I also found this for general advices and exercises on knee rehab;
    http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8119...bilitation.htm

Here the use of a resistance band is more indicated than the use of weight, so I will try that first.
    I ment "reinforcement" instead of "rehab" (perhaps because I was half-thinking about it and there was the word "rehab" in the url). I see where the confusion comes from... My apologies.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    12/26/2010 7:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad to hear you are not just internet surfing for rehab advice!

I'm not a professional trainer, so I'll have to bow out on giving fitness training advice.

Ben

Posted On:
    12/26/2010 1:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It does not sound very goal oriented tbh.
    There are many knee exercises out there, but you need to consult your professional because some may be contraindicated for you.

...rather than ask him out of the blue "what should I do to be able to go to my usual work-out routine and judo?"....
    I think this is exactly what you should do.

If this is accurate:
    I had my leg immobilized for a month, and started physio two weeks ago, which mainly consists in safely learning how to walk again, cycling and doing leg extension / bend.
    i have to say that this objective:
    #3 Get back in a condition that allows me to progressively and confidently start again a lighter version of my usual work-out in February, start the newaza / technical class in March and full training program again in April.
    ...sounds overly optimistic.
    Ligaments take a long time to heal, i wouldn't set too many lofty goals just yet.
    Being specific and focused day by day will take you further than any speculation on your or our parts.

Posted On:
    9/23/2012 9:49am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi
    I had a lot of knee injuries, arthroscopy and ACL reconstruction on right leg. I think is very important to start with exercises the day after surgery or injury. The best exercises for me was exercises in the water (flexion, extension). All exercises you mast do very slowly and controlled.
    With my exercises I rehab in four month after ACL reconstruction.