Style
    N/A
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is it bad if you can only buy gear through the school?

Hey guys, so I've been wondering, do you agree that having to buy gear directly from the school is Mcdojoish? Like you can get the same gear from a different place but with a lower price but they insist you buy it directly from the dojo? Back when I lived in san jose over two years ago, at the Taekwondo mcdojang I used to go to, we did light continous sparring, no hits to the legs or head, no grappling, but had to wear arm pads, gloves, hogus, shin guards, kick boots, and helmet. All of these together cost $200. I got my gear from ebay for $110 but they only let me wear it once because of something about insurance since my gear left my fingers and toes exposed.

Now just think about how ridiculous that is for a second. We only sparred occasionally, you couldn't even aim for the face, legs or even hit hard enough to do any damage, and if you didn't have gear you would just hit the bags with mortal kombat music playing. Long story short, $200 dollars sounds way too damn much for gear we weren't even using to its full potential. All the more reason why it sucked that they insisted it had to be bought through them.

But what do you guys think, did you have to buy your gear(bags, sparring gear, gi, etc) through your dojo or no?

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This has already been more or less covered in this thread:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=125687

I suggest you read through that and see if your answer is there. I know it may not have come up in the search function, I couldn't find it that way. I had to go through the forums page by page to get to it.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vanguard103 View Post
    But what do you guys think, did you have to buy your gear(bags, sparring gear, gi, etc) through your dojo or no?
    I wouldn't necessarily say that it is bad, but it is typical. I began training in a pre-internet (1981) world and at that time, there were a few wholesale companies that actually had catalogs. Most of the people who had local schools worked exclusively with Century or AWMA and they were the only game in town.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The insurance line may be valid.

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys, so I've been wondering, do you agree that having to buy gear directly from the school is Mcdojoish? Like you can get the same gear from a different place but with a lower price but they insist you buy it directly from the dojo? Back when I lived in san jose over two years ago, at the Taekwondo mcdojang I used to go to, we did light continous sparring, no hits to the legs or head, no grappling, but had to wear arm pads, gloves, hogus, shin guards, kick boots, and helmet. All of these together cost $200. I got my gear from ebay for $110 but they only let me wear it once because of something about insurance since my gear left my fingers and toes exposed.

Now just think about how ridiculous that is for a second. We only sparred occasionally, you couldn't even aim for the face, legs or even hit hard enough to do any damage, and if you didn't have gear you would just hit the bags with mortal kombat music playing. Long story short, $200 dollars sounds way too damn much for gear we weren't even using to its full potential. All the more reason why it sucked that they insisted it had to be bought through them.

Was the organization ATA?

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got my gear from eBay for $110 but they only let me wear it once because of something about insurance since my gear left my fingers and toes exposed.
    The way I read this is you didn't get the same gear so it is not really apples to apple comparison.

I think as long as you are actually buying the "right" gear it shouldn't have to be through the dojo. Nor would I go someplace that had such a policy.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like the places that require you to buy sparring gear in-house usually insist that you use kinda crappy gear. Dipped foam headgear that covers the whole head, those stupid instep booties etc.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    The insurance line may be valid.
    Agreed. If it's a liability thing, you don't really have recourse other than to look for another school. It sucks that there are places like that, but having personally been on the receiving end of several corporate law suits, I understand it. My advice is this: as much as possible, don't enter into a contract with a school that starts your relationship as adversarial.

Style
    Judo - Bjj noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bad habit yet common (in many other MA) with a full list of merchandize following.