Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... Last

Style
    Open Combat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yanagi-Ryu Succession In Question

Does any one knows what is going on at Yanagi-Ryu. The Soke Don Angier appointed
    Mr. Jeremy Breazeale as his successor. Mr. Angier had many senior students like Mr.
    John Clodig, but for some very strange reason Mr. Breazeale who is an unknown just came to be the future head hancho of Yanagi-Ryu. We do not know where he came from, his past is a big question mark and how can you become a future Soke after a few years, when Mr. Clodig and other senior students had been training with Mr. Angier for a long time. Who is
    this Jeremy guy? What did he do to gain such honor and in a short period of time. Some
    say it is none of our business but if you give a great Martial Art style to a person who is
    mysterious like a ninja, the future of Yanagi-Ryu is sadly uncertain. In closing, and I do not
    mean this to disrespect, why do they call Mr. Jeremy "buttercup". I think is rude to call him
    names but we all wonder. May God help Mr. Jeremy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please provide us some links to this organzation and their schools.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM Join us... or die
    Style
    Fucking Prost
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We need to institute arial spraying of prozac. . . .

--J.D.
    Why yes, I still have sand in my vagina! It is because I am a lying cowardly child who got buttfucked by MEANIE Doctor X! I also do not know the Latin and it makes me cry!!--Phrost

Style
    Kickboxing/Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zengun9
    Does any one knows what is going on at Yanagi-Ryu. The Soke Don Angier appointed
    Mr. Jeremy Breazeale as his successor. Mr. Angier had many senior students like Mr.
    John Clodig, but for some very strange reason Mr. Breazeale who is an unknown just came to be the future head hancho of Yanagi-Ryu. We do not know where he came from, his past is a big question mark and how can you become a future Soke after a few years, when Mr. Clodig and other senior students had been training with Mr. Angier for a long time. Who is
    this Jeremy guy? What did he do to gain such honor and in a short period of time. Some
    say it is none of our business but if you give a great Martial Art style to a person who is
    mysterious like a ninja, the future of Yanagi-Ryu is sadly uncertain. In closing, and I do not
    mean this to disrespect, why do they call Mr. Jeremy "buttercup". I think is rude to call him
    names but we all wonder. May God help Mr. Jeremy.
    I have no idea what your agenda is, but an art's soke is not always the most technically proficient member. This is true in a lot of situations where a blood relative is supposed to inherit but is not necessarily interested in martial arts. In such cases, the custom is to have an organization of technically proficient members assume directorship of that part of the art.

Style
    Fucking Prost
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the reasons I find "sokeships" ridiculous in modern martial arts like karate. Is there a "soke" of Judo?

--J.D.
    Why yes, I still have sand in my vagina! It is because I am a lying cowardly child who got buttfucked by MEANIE Doctor X! I also do not know the Latin and it makes me cry!!--Phrost

Style
    Kakutogi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    I have no idea what your agenda is, but an art's soke is not always the most technically proficient member. This is true in a lot of situations where a blood relative is supposed to inherit but is not necessarily interested in martial arts. In such cases, the custom is to have an organization of technically proficient members assume directorship of that part of the art.
    Eyebeam is 100% correct on this.

The term SOKE generally means HEAD OF THE HOUSEHOLD and, as stated, not always the most proficient member. Prime example is Hatsumi of the Bujinkan. Even by his own words he stated that he wasn't the best of Takamatsu's students but was the best suited to carry the art(s) on. The reaso for htis is that the best student is often challenged or will take up the challenge for the house thus running the risk to be killed or injured. The house most be protected at all cost so often the soke is the one that will keep the house in order while others fight for the glory of it.

Is there a "soke" of Judo?
    Nope. Soke is something for KORYU arts because they are mainly family oriented. Gendai (modern) arts really don't have a need for it because often it is spread primarily outside the family.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Style
    Fucking Prost
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    Nope. Soke is something for KORYU arts because they are mainly family oriented. Gendai (modern) arts really don't have a need for it because often it is spread primarily outside the family.
    Exactly! My point exactly . . . you grow in wisdom My Lord of Asia.

Anyways, this "soke" has become yet another piece of gold braid the gaijin seek in modern martial arts like "judan" and the various menkyo titles.

When my style's Glorious Grand Poohbah died, his students pretty much recognized his son--Imperious Grand Poohbah--as a sort of "soke" out of respect to him and his father. IGP was a good guy/teacher in his own right, so it was not controversial. However, the original students of GGP all had their own schools, and some had their own little organizations. When IGP passed, that pretty much ended the whole "soke" idea.

The only "sokes" I have encountered have been what you have mentioned--involved in legitimate koryu--or a bunch of gaijin who have bought "soke certificates" for their own "ancient" martial art.

--J.D.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option. supporting member
    Style
    BJJ, Unauthorized Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    Eyebeam is 100% correct on this.

The term SOKE generally means HEAD OF THE HOUSEHOLD and, as stated, not always the most proficient member. Prime example is Hatsumi of the Bujinkan. Even by his own words he stated that he wasn't the best of Takamatsu's students but was the best suited to carry the art(s) on. The reaso for htis is that the best student is often challenged or will take up the challenge for the house thus running the risk to be killed or injured. The house most be protected at all cost so often the soke is the one that will keep the house in order while others fight for the glory of it.

Thanks for the info. I was curious about the history of that term as I hear all these people claim "soke" and being part of a "sokeship".

Style
    Judo & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just FYI: Yanagi-ryu is a legit koryu art and Angier is the legit soke of the art through Kenji Yoshida. It's an amazing story. http://www.bugei.com/angier.html

Style
    Fucking Prost
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Huh . . . how can you be a "Soke" when you are not in the country of origin. Has it died out in Kyushu?

--J.D.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... Last