Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Paulo Castro Cavalcanti - BJJ

Hello all,

I'm trying to find information on this BJJ professor.

He's new to the area and has teamed with with a rinky dink martial arts school in town. The city is Colorado Springs, CO. The gym is Iron Forged Martial Arts (Sorry, I can't post links yet).

You can see he lists his tournament accomplishments as such:

1988 - Amazonense Champion - white belt​
    1989 - Amazonense Champion - white belt
    2013 - Copa America Champion​ - blue belt​
    2013 - South American Champion​ - blue belt​
    2013 - Amazonense Champion - purple belt
    2014 - Amazonense Champion - brown belt
    2015 - Copa America Champion​ - brown belt
    2015 - Open Manaus IBJJ Champion​ - brown belt​
    2015 - Amazonense Champion - black belt

I did some research and noted his Copa America Championship in 2015, he was listed as a brown belt, and his win was when he had no one else in his division.

The biggest oddity is this list. In 2013 he competed as a blue belt, in 2015 as a black belt. That's pretty damning.

He's supposedly a Omar Salum black belt. Does anyone know anything about Paulo?

There's also a video of him demonstrating techniques on the Iron Forged website, and it doesn't look good to me.

TK

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tenknuckles View Post
    The biggest oddity is this list. In 2013 he competed as a blue belt, in 2015 as a black belt. That's pretty damning.
    He's not currently listed as IBJJF black belt, but that is not necessarily damning.

It's a long, long time as a white->blue progression, but I don't really see anything wrong with that - he could have been a hobbiest during that time; also, those are only his wins, not his rank dates.

Let's say he was a 4-stripe blue in early 2013; getting to black by late 2015 would be quick, but not unheard of.

Why don't you shoot Maestro Salum an email and ask about Cavalcanti? That would be the quickest answer to your question.

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    judging by the timeline he has 28 years experience. The mats dont lie, go check him out.