I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 11:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Spinal Decompression therapy

Who has done it, and how long did it take for you to see any effects. I am on treatment number 5 and I am not sure.

FYI 5 years ago I herniated a disk in my back and had an acute case of sciatica.

I did chiro and physio and recovered about 80% but that 20% to full recovery has always eluded me.

I have had an MRI done and my back is not bad enough for surgery.

So I am being strapped into this thing twice a week

And being pulled apart,

anyone try this any anecdotes?

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 3:28am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a disk bulge in my neck that caused excrutiating pain in my chest cavity and gimped up my left arm. For a couple of months, I went in a couple times a week and got strapped to a motorized, articulated table that would stretch me out, hold me there a while, release, and then repeat the process automatically for about 20 minutes. They put a "kill switch" in my hand during each session that I never ended up having to use.

My therapy did me good and got me on the road to a 100% recovery. Hope you fare as well.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 11:33am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    subd , i had one about 4 months ago and sometimes when i get taken down it feels like it may go again. If this works , ill try it.
    King without a crown

Posted On:
    12/23/2010 10:53am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am up to 90 pounds of pull and doing angled stretching where they twist and pull, it's starting to fell like that's having some effect.

I am thinking of maybe doing some Moksha hot Yoga as well to try and get the whole core section to loosen up.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    12/23/2010 1:09pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    I am thinking of maybe doing some Moksha hot Yoga as well to try and get the whole core section to loosen up.
    Talk to your Physical Therapist about that first. The worst motion that you can do with a herniated disc is a seated/legs-bent torso rotation. Yoga has a lot of that depending on the style.

(Warning: long story ahead)

I've had 2 back surgeries: 1 microdiscectomy and laminectomy on L4/L5 and L5/S1, and another microdiscectomy and laminectomy (redo) on L5/S1.

The pain started suddenly. I woke up one morning, stood up, and my leg felt like it caught fire. I immediately called our orthopedic surgeon who set up an MRI and then referred me to a spinal surgeon.

My PT leading up to the first surgery consisted of hip adjustments, stretching, and about 5-6 sessions on 'the rack' (traction table). For me, none of those alleviated the pain.

Before opting for the first surgery, insurance required that I attempt at least 2 epidural injections. They consisted of a steroid and a numbing agent which was intended to 'calm' the nerve down and speed any healing in the area. I felt relief for the first 2 days after each injection, but then the pain came back with a vengeance.

The first surgery went well. It was out-patient so I was at the surgery center at 7:30am and then home by noon the same day. I felt immediate relief; I could stand without pain, straighten my legs with any twinges, and my leg no longer felt like somebody had doused it with kerosene and set it ablaze.

It started to regress after about 6 months. Apparently a piece of the disc broke off after my first surgery and lodged itself between the disc and the nerve.

I bought an inversion table to do some at-home traction, but it didn't address the problem. The chunk of disc was detached and couldn't be 'sucked' back in with traction therapy.

I also started Pilates to try to address any issues with my core. The nice thing about Pilates is that, if you are on the reformer machine, there is minimal load/stress on your back. Any twisting exercises can be easily modified to reduce strain. The weight on the straps helps with control during the range of motion of each rep.

My second surgery went off without any hitches.

I continued Pilates for another year (I think it helped my BJJ game enormously). I have a prescription for an anti-inflammatory (mobic) which helps if I ever feel any twinges (very rare).

Right now, I feel like I am fully 'recovered' (whatever that really means) and have been back to training 5-6 days per week since 4 months after that last surgery.

Sorry for the long story, but I have no control over my hands. Banana hammock. Damnit hands stop that.

Posted On:
    12/23/2010 6:12pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not bad enough for surgery, and when I did PT the exercise hat worked the most was the torso bend twist.

Also did it on the machine at 90 pounds and finally noticed a difference.

My herniation is on the lower posterial side.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/23/2010 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was reading an article awhile back that stretching is one of the best ways to keep you moving young when getting old.

Sometime I'll get my 2" belt out, make a harness and hang off the kid's swing set by my neck with knees on the ground. Helps decompress the spine from problems associated with an old injury. Problem with this, is it seems to work mostly on the upper spinal column.

Anyone have other decompression "home" stretches?

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    12/23/2010 6:36pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by anthracite View Post

Anyone have other decompression "home" stretches?
    I was put on a protocol that involved 'cobra pose' stretches

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/471

I was told not to push into the stretch because it does put pressure on the lower back, but rather ease into it until you feel your lower back begin to 'compress' and then hold for 30 seconds for 5 sets.

The other stretch that I still do which helps me the most are 'egg rolls': lie on your back, bring your knees to your chest, connect hands behind knees, rock forward and backwards. That gets me loosened up the fastest now and feels really good.

The inversion table helped to stretch things out quite a bit, but it would have near the same effect as your belt & swing-set stretch and be MUCH more expensive. :-P

Posted On:
    12/23/2010 9:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a pilates ball that I lie backwards on that helps. I looked into an inversion table as it's much cheaper than this therapy but I thought I would give this a shot, if ti works it will be worth the money, if not I'll be angry and poorer.

Anyways its starting to have an effect, which measn I'll probably stick with the full 20 treatments.

My issue is between sessions, I want to find something complementary that I can use to keep going forward so I am leaning towards Yoga

Posted On:
    12/23/2010 9:48pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa Gnaws View Post
    I was put on a protocol that involved 'cobra pose' stretches

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/471

I was told not to push into the stretch because it does put pressure on the lower back, but rather ease into it until you feel your lower back begin to 'compress' and then hold for 30 seconds for 5 sets.

The other stretch that I still do which helps me the most are 'egg rolls': lie on your back, bring your knees to your chest, connect hands behind knees, rock forward and backwards. That gets me loosened up the fastest now and feels really good.

The inversion table helped to stretch things out quite a bit, but it would have near the same effect as your belt & swing-set stretch and be MUCH more expensive. :-P

Thats one of the stretches my physical therapist came up with working with me to squeeze the herniation back into place, it defintily helps.

The more I look into things the more it looks like Yoga would be perfect for me.

Step 1. Decompression therapy
    Step 2. Yoga
    Step 3. Core strengthening
    step 4. ?
    Step 5. Profit

and by profit I hope to return to BJJ and get my blue belt
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast