Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 1:56am

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, one goofball said I didn’t know Grandmaster Don Angier. In 2009 I went to his aikijujitsu seminar.
    We've already got some ammo, lads.
    Originally from the Shaolin Monastery and called simply Shaolin Boxing. Boxing in the Orient meant to strike with all body limbs. Therefore, punching with the fists, kicking with feet, and striking with open hands or elbows were considered to be boxing. Shaolin Boxing is the oldest form and is our original martial art now called Shorinji Karate (Shaolin Temple Chinese Hand and Foot Boxing). Mr. Skornia trained in Shaolin Boxing in China.
    Using real and authentic techniques for the best aerobic and cardio kick-boxing workout. Power Kick-Boxing gleans from our original Chinese boxing (using front and side bo stances) passed down from Thailand (Thai boxing) and then down to the present, adding American boxing to karate kicking. It teaches the best moves for great power blows and is an exciting aerobic workout. In addition, yoga stretching, hand focus mitts plus heavy bagwork (where available) and positive mental attitude to punches, strikes and kicks will give you a great toning workout. Our special high tech aerobic floor protects your knees, ankles, and feet from injury. Lots of fun. Ladies like this one, too. Light contact sparring with safety gear available. (Caution: Doctor warn: Never risk permanent damage by doing kick-boxing on a wood floor or carpet over cement).
    So it's a karate guy trying to pawn off Thai boxing. Smooth.
    Last edited by helmutlvx; 12/19/2010 2:04am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 2:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sent an e-mail already. The guy we're looking at is Phillip M. Skornia and guess what.

He's the FOUNDER AND CEO of ZENDOKAI INTERNATIONAL. Isn't that great?
    http://www.zendoryukarate.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 4:41am

Style: Judo, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He doesn't actually claim to have invented MMA though. He says that one of his students 'found the title attributed to him' and then he basically explains that he didn't, without saying it directly albeit.

EDIT:

On one hand

"We did not, and do not now, mix up all the martial arts to make a new style. I personally have never claimed to have made up a new style"

But at the same time:

"I would like to explain my training background in the mixed martial arts and kick-boxing (I learned Muay Thai in Thailand) in more detail, and how we taught all these “mixed” martial arts at our national headquarters school."

Stupid TMAers, 'mixed' does not equal doing more than one style.
    Last edited by callum828; 12/19/2010 4:48am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 4:56am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by callum828 View Post
    Stupid TMAers, 'mixed' does not equal doing more than one style.
    sure?

i don't really think mma is a style, really. Isn't it more like a ruleset or something?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 5:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also love the fact that even his essay attacking bullshido is written like he's trying to sell something.

'Scam warning!!!'

'NOW EXPOSED!!!'

And of course gems like:

"I was born snowbound in a small cabin in the woods of the North."

"Of course, in my decorous life"

And finally:

"Iím sure they have a lot of fun committing internet bullying and cyber terrorism...Itís like these defects want to set a terrorist bomb to get noticed and then hide in their comfortable anonymity."

I love this guy! Not only was he born in a simple log cabin, people who criticise him are terrorists.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 5:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus View Post
    sure?

i don't really think mma is a style, really. Isn't it more like a ruleset or something?
    Well originally it was basically just a spectacle, but the sport has evolved so much that it can be considered a style now.

What I mean to say is, having a dan grade in more than one style does not make you a mixed martial artist.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 6:16pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus View Post
    sure?

Hate to hijack the thread, but by that token, Western Boxing isn't a style either but just the Queensberry ruleset.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 6:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, so I took a look through this stuff. The guy only names who he learned karate from:
    My first training with a master was in 1959 with Grandmaster Eizo Shimabuku, 10th Dan. I started with him just after he received his 10th Dan promotion
    He later talks about learning boxing:
    My Uncle Rod was a doctor's assistant and knew all about joints and pressure points which was so applicable in Aikijujitsu. My training commenced with my military and combat-experienced uncles in 1948. . The boxing part I caught on to quickly because my father, who was a high school champion in his day, taught me. Also, my high school superintendent gave me pointers, since Mr. Bray had been a Golden Gloves college champion.
    I can't confirm the existence of "Mr. Bray" because there are apparently a bunch of guys named Bray who were Golden Glove champions, but I'll look into it more later.
    Fortunately, my experience did me well with hand-to-hand combat classes when I joined the Army. Later on, I so impressed my instructors that I was made an assistant instructor in Military Police School. Again, though, these were just hundeds of miscellaneous self-defense and attack techniques. It was not a cohesive, organized system of martial arts. I remember a book I was given in 1949 called Combat Jujitsu, published in 1946. It was written and demonstrated by a Sargeant Cohn, a Marine combat instructor. It is a priceless collector's item, one of many I keep in my library to this day.
    Was it common for someone to go and study the combat styles of a nation they were going to war against? I'm not sure. In any case, I can't find any record of such a book existing other than this:
    Amazon.com: Combat Jiu-Jitsu (9780865681903): Norman Leff: Books
    I did much of the same thing over 60 years - traveling to the Orient to discover great techniques and ideas from great martial ars masters. I also trained in many other martial arts and received black belts or equivalents. These martial arts include, but are not limited to: judo, jujitsu, aikido, aikijujitsu (see American Aikijujitsu Association.com), kendo, sumo, ch'uan-fa kung-fu (many styles related to the original Shaolin). There are many great stories about masters and adventures, as I traveled and trained in different countries on the following website and in my upcoming book. It seems my destiny was to study philosophy with an open-minded attitude, to become a Zen priest, and affect karate history forever.
    Zen priest, huh? In any case, he doesn't say who trained him and how this correlates to:
    I stayed loyal and trained with Master Shimabuku for 30 years. I have always revered him as my first main master. I travelled back to Okinawa and across the county when he went to America on teaching tours.
    So that leaves me to wonder how much time exactly did he have to reach shodan (or equivalent) in these martial arts?

Furthermore, are there any further details to be shared about his "Zen priest"hood? Or his destiny to "affect karate history forever"?

His website where he claims to have further details of his ranks is (OOPS!) down. There's this little mention here:
    http://zendoryukarate.com/Grandmasters_.html
    He earned his first degree Black Belts in Shorinji-ryu Karate and Ryukyu Jujitsu the following year.
    That's a new one. Anybody else ever heard of that?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 8:17pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I first started training Kickboxing, I had a hard time figuring out what Mixed Martial Arts was. If it was the organizations allowing all different styles to fight, hense mixed martial arts, or if mixing the different arts themselves to make a fighter with mixed styled. Hmm.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 8:26pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Carl View Post
    When I first started training Kickboxing, I had a hard time figuring out what Mixed Martial Arts was. If it was the organizations allowing all different styles to fight, hense mixed martial arts, or if mixing the different arts themselves to make a fighter with mixed styled. Hmm.
    Mixed Style was not MMA in its current form. Yes, there was a point, decades ago, where mixing styles was "mixing martial arts." Almost all were called mixed or open style competitions. In no way shape or form was it MMA. Hell a majority of so called Mixed schools were mixing multiple striking arts.

I do find it funny how this semantics battle surfaced when MMA took off. I have also noticed how the common refrain of "jack of all trades master of none" has been replaced with "OMG I did it first."
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast