Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/18/2010 1:26am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New weight training plan I've developed: 3 steps forward, 2 steps back

First of all, let me make it clear that I am not a personal trainer, nor do I have a degree or any sort of certification in physical training. I am not a competitive powerlifter, just a hobbyist. That said, I've been weight training for a while, and have read up a lot of the subject, and after hitting the same wall on linear progression over and over on my squat, I finally sat down, looked over some old training notes, and came up with something that has really blown me away, so I thought I'd share it here.

Periodization strategy

Week 1

Start with X weight. Train X for 3 sets x 5 reps
    Next training day, use X+5lbs, train for 3x5
    Next training day, use X+10, train for 5 reps, 3 reps, 3 reps

Week 2
    Start with X+5. Train X+5 for 3x5
    Next training day, use X+10, train for 3x5
    Next training day, use X+15, train for 5,3,3

Continue indefinitely.

Benefits of periodization style
    -Constant progression: Because of the employment of microcycles and “softening”, the trainee is in a constant state of “building up”. The trainee never stays at the same weight for multiple training sessions in a row, and there is no “grinding out reps”
    -Constant success: Every training day is some sort of victory. On the first, you are making a weight that was once previously your “light weight”. On the middle day, you get a rep PR. On the heavy day, you get a weight PR. Good motivation.
    -Built in deload: No monitoring necessary. Every week has a deload on the first day in terms of weight, and on the final day in terms of volume.
    -Heavy weight prep work: Final day of training cycle prepares trainee for the heavier load on the middle day next week without forcing a trainee to grind out reps at a new weight. The reduced volume for the heavy day allows practice without burnout.
    -Only 1 “hard” day: First day is light weight, final day is light volume, not mentally draining

Work capacity/hypertrophy sets

After final set of exercises, perform 1 set of maximal reps with around 40-60% of working weight. Trying for 10-30 reps, using 2 rest pause breaks. Do not utilize with squats. Use glute ham raise, trap bar lifts, or deadlifts (in that order) instead

Purpose

WC set will improve the lifters work capacity and maintain hypertrophy while allowing the lifter to increase volume and groove the movement into their CNS without heavy CNS taxing that would come from more heavier sets. Functions as a cooldown, and can still provide measurable strength increases.

Program

Squat
    Bench
    Chin

OR

Squat
    Strict press
    DB/Chest supported row

Or any combination, as long as there is 1 squat, 1 vertical press, 1 horizontal press, 1 vertical pull, 1 horizontal pull

In Practice

Lifter can employ the above mentioned periodization on the squat only and simply trade off each training day, progressing on the upperbody movements linearly at 3x5 while utilizing a work capacity set. The lifter can also pick 1 workout day and train it with the above mentioned periodization for every lift, and utilize the alternate exercise as a work capacity set in order to train all planes of movement.

Disadvantages

-Lack of deadlift: Could potentially be remedied by utilizing deadlifts as work capacity set post squats, or one heavy set of deadlifts. Be cautious with high rep deadlifts, but the lack of spinal loading and ability to rest between reps still makes it more ideal than high rep squats
    -Potential muscular imbalance if sticking with only one set of movements: lifter must be aware of their weaknesses and train to benefit them, or take proactive measures to combat imbalances

Accessory movements

Work capacity sets will take care of the majority of muscles, but abs can be trained in addition to prehab stuff
    For those that are unable to view my training log, my current plan is structured like this

Day A
    Safety squat bar squat
    Pin press off chest
    DB row

Day B
    Safety squat bar squat
    Pin press off chest
    Weighted chin

I am using the above mentioned periodization strategy for both the squat and the pin press, while progressing linearly with the DB row and Chin. I think the pin press is more ideal for this styel of periodization compared to the bench, as you can more readily employ a style of resting between reps to meet your volume goals, while attempting this with the bench tends to be disasterous. This week I am working up to 410x5 for my safety squat bar squat, which is an all time high for any manner of squat, let alone with the SSB, and I don't see any signs of slowing down.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    12/18/2010 12:31pm

Style: bodybuilding

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    are you specializing in the squat motion or are you trying to build up overall leg strength and muscle mass?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/18/2010 2:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This program specifically builds a bigger squat, which will in turn develop overall leg strength and muscle mass, especially when paired with the work capacity GHR.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    12/18/2010 8:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So how have your results been on this program? How do you pick X weight to start with? I'm guessing you don't start right away with the most you can lift 3x5 if you've been stalling at that weight.

What kind of linear progression are you talking about with your squat?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/18/2010 10:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I said, I'm working up to 410x5 for the safety squat bar this week, which is not just the most I've ever squatted for 5, but it's also a safety squat bar squat, which is a harder movement, and I am doing this at an all time low bodyweight of 185. I lost 20lbs while being on this program, and still made strength gains.

I started at 335x5. Usually you're going to pick a relatively light weight so you can build up momentum, ala Stuart McRobert.

I don't understand your question about what kind of linear progression. I only know of one kind of linear progression.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 7:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Had a few drinks when I wrote that. I meant what kind of wall did you keep on hitting on your squat?

The workout sounds pretty interesting.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 7:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would build up to 400lbs every time, fry out, have to reset, only to hit 400lbs and fry out again. All the constant grinding at high 3s just tore my CNS apart.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 5:38pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, this is actually good timing for this. I'm having to adjust my training to involve more calisthenics and cardio, so I think I may use this on my strength days to lift heavy, but not burn out. Good idea, bad idea? May try just to see what happens.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 11:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See what happens is probably the best course of action. What is driving you to change your training exactly?
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 11:46pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacked Frost View Post
    See what happens is probably the best course of action. What is driving you to change your training exactly?
    Change in focus. At the behest of my local dive motivator I'm following the physical training guide here. It's not very specific aside from a "sort of" circuit program advisory (and the previous .txt file version actually just said "do strength training as you see fit"). I figured I needed to change up my loading scheme as grinding out reps and adding weight each time just isn't going to cut it. So really I'll only be squatting 2x per week now and your built in deloads seem like they would would out well for what I'm going to be doing.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast