Page 4 of 8 First 12345678 Last
  1. #31
    DdlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,802
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I'm not Irish, just interested in various Western martial arts.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Shaolin Temple
    Posts
    339
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    No, I'm not Irish, just interested in various Western martial arts.
    Okay fair enough!

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shaolin pimp View Post
    why the interest?
    Ummm... "Western Martial Arts Discussion Forum"???

    ;)

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

  4. #34
    You have to work the look. supporting member
    CrackFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bat Country
    Posts
    3,077
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It just occurred to me how much like the booj this is.

    I've been told that Japanese people find it weird that people want to train to become ninjas. As an Irishman, I can tell you you'd get some pretty funny looks if you told people around here that you wanted to learn Gangs of New York Shillelagh Faction Fighting.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Shaolin Temple
    Posts
    339
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    It just occurred to me how much like the booj this is.

    I've been told that Japanese people find it weird that people want to train to become ninjas. As an Irishman, I can tell you you'd get some pretty funny looks if you told people around here that you wanted to learn Gangs of New York Shillelagh Faction Fighting.
    True that lol, @ lawson, I thought this was YMAS, well I must've just assumed, but still it's not a martial art, it's fella's hitting each other with sticks.

  6. #36
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,092
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shaolin pimp View Post
    True that lol, @ lawson, I thought this was YMAS, well I must've just assumed, but still it's not a martial art, it's fella's hitting each other with sticks.
    Fellas hitting each other with sticks isn't a martial art? Damn, I've wasted a lot of time then.

  7. #37
    DdlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,802
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    It just occurred to me how much like the booj this is.

    I've been told that Japanese people find it weird that people want to train to become ninjas. As an Irishman, I can tell you you'd get some pretty funny looks if you told people around here that you wanted to learn Gangs of New York Shillelagh Faction Fighting.
    It's mentioned in the documentary that during the 20th century, the faction fights came to be widely seen as a shameful aspect of Irish history. It's understandable that re-interpreting 19th c. shillelagh fighting in positive terms is going to be a pretty strange idea for anyone raised in that culture.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Shaolin Temple
    Posts
    339
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Fellas hitting each other with sticks isn't a martial art? Damn, I've wasted a lot of time then.
    I guess so. I've freed you from your burden.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shaolin pimp View Post
    but still it's not a martial art, it's fella's hitting each other with sticks.
    So your definition of "Martial Art" includes a requirement that the source must be Asian?

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

  10. #40
    Keeping you safe from Mongolians

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,326
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watched the documentary. It was quite interesting. One thing that struck me was when they were talking about the largest faction fight that put an end to them for good. 2000 men were involved and yet there were only 20 fatalities and some of those were from accidental drowning (they were fighting on the beach). Those cudgels look pretty deadly, and with hags throwing rocks at blokes heads, I was pretty suprised at this. Do you think this was because the participants weren't out to cause serious injury (i.e not beating on the uncontious, focusing on bodyshots etc) or are the blackthorn sticks just not as bad as they look/sound?

Page 4 of 8 First 12345678 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO