Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 3:42pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Yep, that sounds like a survival of the old faction fighting tradition (see also "Gangs of New York", etc.)
    Ay I'm in my 20's, it was probably more influenced by American gangs than some old Irish ****.

on a side note Ddlr if you were willing to pay me money, I would accept you as my student in my ancient secret Irish martial arts systems, called drunken boxing and leprechaunitsu I will also accept cute sisters and hot girlfriends as payment, and you will refer to me as "sensei Pimp" or just plain ol "Pimp"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 3:48pm

Style: Karate/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never heard of a Blackthorn Stick before so i had to look it up on Google.

I did however find this website: Irish Cudgel (Back in 2005 I met up with an Irish cudgeller who was taught to wield a blackthorn stick in the Irish fashion by his father) http://dirkdance.tripod.com/id10.html

Doesn't say too much but they do have another page on medieval martial arts too! (not related to the blackthorn though)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 3:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I meant the movie, "Gangs of New York", which is about the faction fights that took place between largely Irish street gangs in New York City during the 1800s. It would be kind of ironic if the wars you took part in as a kid were actually inspired by that movie ...

Thanks for the offer, sensei Pimp.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 4:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For general reference, these two videos represent what are claimed as living lineage styles of Irish stick fighting:

YouTube - Irish stick fighting, An Maide Mear (Antrim school)

YouTube - Doyle Irish Stick Fighting (Various Clips)

This one is a modern reconstruction/revival based on the Walker/Allanson-Winn material from the 1800s:

YouTube - mvc 001w

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 4:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shaolin pimp View Post
    Shut up Odacon, I smell money mofo! The Irish Americans will love it lol
    Oh.. OH YEAH! Now I remember, my dad taught me our families secret Irish stickfighting style, it was used long ago knock the shite out of anyone who robbed our livestock etc. Just send your money to me and I'll send you our video series:

Part 1 Basic Fundamentals: "Stop swinging like a fecking eijit, today!"

Part 2 Techniques against multiple opponents: "Baiting the head off those shitehawks out there"

Part 3 Advanced techniques: "giving that bollox a hiding he wont forget"

and Part 4 Dealing with a more skilled opponent: "I'm not fighting him he'll smash me up. I'll go after his ma instead and slap her up and down the place."

Order today!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 4:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon View Post
    Oh.. OH YEAH! Now I remember, my dad taught me our families secret Irish stickfighting style, it was used long ago knock the shite out of anyone who robbed our livestock etc. Just send your money to me and I'll send you our video series:

Part 2 Techniques against multiple opponents: "Baiting the head off those shitehawks out there"

and Part 4 Dealing with a more skilled opponent: "I'm not fighting him he'll smash me up. I'll go after his ma instead and slap her up and down the place."

Order today!
    HAHAHA and it'll be narrated by eamo dunphy! **** gracie combatives they're donkeys.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 4:51pm

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm one of "those guys" who practices the attempt at a reconstruction. That's what it is: A reconstruction based on (limited) extant information and a dose of experimental archeology, similar to what has been done with Medieval Longsword, etc. We don't claim that it's a living lineage.

However, I do know of at least three people who claim to teach from a living lineage. One is a major wanker, though passionate about his work. Another is believable, or at the minimum it is 100% in my estimation that HE believes he is practicing a (now modified by him) family style. The third is, likewise believable but I have very little information on him; he is believable because what he is teaching looks a great deal like what is recorded in the period material.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Posted On:
    12/21/2010 6:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon View Post

Order today!
    Authentic vernacular. I can hear my parents even now...

The Blackthorn. As an aside, it was often carried by Officers in Irish Regiments such as Royal Dublin Fusiliers, Connaught Rangers, Munster Rifles, Leinster Rifles, Royal Irish Fusiliers - you get the idea. Today, I think it's the successor (Infantry) Royal Irish Regt. I don't think the Irish Guards carry the Blackthorn.

"Hit dat Big Fecker!" :laughing7

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/28/2010 11:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The documentary is now available as an instant stream in three parts from http://live.tg4.ie/main.aspx?level=Faisneis .

It concentrates on the phenomenon of 19th century rural faction fighting from the cultural point of view, but includes some discussion of stick fighting as a martial art and many re-enactments of shillelagh brawls, etc. Well worth seeing if you have any interest in this stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2010 8:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bad luck odacon looks someone's got their first! Good call Ddlr, looks interesting enough and I have no interest in this shite, cheers bud.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast