Thread: noob in Modesto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

noob in Modesto

I'm moving to Modesto, CA, and would like to get started in Martial Arts, both for self-defense and exercise. I'd like to learn both groundwork and standup, though an emphasis on groundwork would be fine. Google turns up some possibilities; know anything about any of them, or have any other suggestions?

1) Ultimate Athlete Fitness Center, which teaches Guerilla Jiu-jitsu. Their site implies affiliation with Dave Camarillo, though I didn't see a list of Instructors. I do like what Dave says about fundamentals and such in the videos.

2) Charles Gracie Academy BJJ chain with 6 locations in CA and NV. No list of instructors.

3) Cortez Martial Arts They call their system Kosho-Ryo or Kenpo Ju-jitsu. Also teach BJJ. Affiliated with Charles Gracie Academy

4) Dynamic Mixed Martial Arts BJJ/Muy Thai/Karate/MMA/boxing. Chief instructor Paul Mendoza, Ralph Gracie TA certified BJJ instructor level #3.

5) DeGrendelus Medieval Martial Arts Dagger/sword/shield/spear/axe. Chief instructor Sir Gemini.

6) Oakdale MMA Kajukenbo(Gaylord)/kickboxing/BJJ(Behring). Chief instructor Tom Theofanopoulos.

Thanks

Style
    ASU Aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.aikidoofmodesto.org/

It doesnt sound like you would be interested in aikido, but if you are this is a good dojo.

Mr. Ken Nisson, 6th Dan, Aikikai, is affiliated with ASU (Aikido Schools of
    Ueshiba). He began Judo training in 1958. In 1961, while in the Air Force Reserve, Mr. Nisson assisted in teaching the Strategic Air Command Judo Team. After leaving military duty, in 1964, Ken began Aikido training under Koichi Tohei, Sensei.

Mr. Nisson was awarded shodan by Yoshimitsu Yamada, Sensei in 1967. In 1976 he began his training and long association with Mitsugi Saotome, Shihan.

I think there is some BJJ trained there also.

Style
    BJJ and MT at the moment
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

How about checking these gyms first, maybe attend some free classes, and join the one that feels the best?

But since you are a beginner, you can try the 4th one I suppose. So you can join all of those classes and see what feels the best for you.

(Dagger/sword/shield/spear/axe? come on bro. Not saying you cant do those, but if you were THAT interested in all those medieval things, you would have joined without asking anyone anyways.)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus View Post
    Welcome to Bullshido.

How about checking these gyms first, maybe attend some free classes, and join the one that feels the best?

But since you are a beginner, you can try the 4th one I suppose. So you can join all of those classes and see what feels the best for you.

(Dagger/sword/shield/spear/axe? come on bro. Not saying you cant do those, but if you were THAT interested in all those medieval things, you would have joined without asking anyone anyways.)
    :icon_mrgr

What you suggest sounds good. I was hoping that someone had some specific info about the local options or their backgrounds...

Thanks

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BSONE View Post
    http://www.aikidoofmodesto.org/

It doesnt sound like you would be interested in aikido, but if you are this is a good dojo.

Mr. Ken Nisson, 6th Dan, Aikikai, is affiliated with ASU (Aikido Schools of
    Ueshiba). He began Judo training in 1958. In 1961, while in the Air Force Reserve, Mr. Nisson assisted in teaching the Strategic Air Command Judo Team. After leaving military duty, in 1964, Ken began Aikido training under Koichi Tohei, Sensei.

Mr. Nisson was awarded shodan by Yoshimitsu Yamada, Sensei in 1967. In 1976 he began his training and long association with Mitsugi Saotome, Shihan.

I think there is some BJJ trained there also.
    So the OP list a bunch of MMA/Jujitsu schools with the purpose of learning self defense and getting exercise and picking up a ground game and stand up(assuming striking here) and you suggest to him an Aikido school? That "may" do some bjj?
    I would suggest that the Aikido school most likely is not exactly inline with what he wants.

To the OP most of those schools looks good for what you are asking for. It really is going to come down to you going and seeing who you click with the best. You will learn far more at a school that you enjoy going to then one just because xxxx has a cert from yyyy.

ps is it ok to troll people who are not the OP in the newbie town area?