Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/18/2010 3:37pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Maybe perhaps this means the skills are more valuable then str and con?
    Hey throw your points into dex. Fighter thieves are where it's at!
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/18/2010 5:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    When you are a pro with all day to train, your regimen is going to go off the standards for a normal person, obviously
    This quote needs to be preserved for everytime one of these threads comes up.

"X pro fighter does Y"

Guess what, he does that NOW. Don't do what these guys do NOW, do what they did back when they were in YOUR position. If you aren't a pro-fighter, don't train like one, train like someone with your lifestyle that is doing well in their training.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 3:13am

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all GSP lifts. He says he does it to be more marketable and to look a certain way. I'm sure his S&C coach(es) have different ideas. All of the countdown shows have him doing lifting, plyometric drills, and some form of cardio.

I'm not even sure that GSP totally believes what he himself says on the basis that he has said he would require more muscle to compete at 185. How would one gain that?

Secondly GSP says that he prefers to train for efficiancy. Anyone who knows squat abouts squats knows that strength training is ALL about efficiancy. Clearly you want to find things with a high carry-over value to fighting (sport specific blah blah) but large compound exercises have a fairly high carry-over to just about everything. That's why most high level sports teams do the stuff.

Moving big weights isn't going to make you a good fighter as examplified by Pudz, but it may help to make a good fighter more capable. Read some of the articles by Martin Rooney on the subject. He trains the Miller brothers, Ricardo Almeida, Frankie Edgar, etc.

GSP has been one of my favorite fighters for ages, but he's either wrong or being misleading.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2010 6:44pm

Style: Poor mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YouTube - GSP Workout

and

YouTube - GSP training for UFC 94

and

YouTube - ufc primetime gsp training UNAIRED

There are many more, but this pretty much sums up the answer to this.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/26/2010 12:21am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All the PT I do when training for fights is speed and agility work. I find that with all the things we do, strength training just takes away the energy you have for the more important stuff. Fight training and in between fight training is different, though, and being stronger is probably a good thing. I don't do strength training ever, but that may be because I don't get paid lots of money to try and have every edge I can to beat my opponents.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    12/26/2010 3:26am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At your weight class with pads on you're not exactly going for knockout power though.

I hate S&C with a passion but I've noticed real benefit by adding it in for the last couple of fights.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    12/26/2010 8:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strength, like endurance and skill, is a massive advantage in any fighting sport. Anyone who doesn't do strength training is depriving themselves of it.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/26/2010 9:17am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    At your weight class with pads on you're not exactly going for knockout power though.

I hate S&C with a passion but I've noticed real benefit by adding it in for the last couple of fights.
    Hey now, I only fight with pads for tournaments >:[

The guy I train does a lot of strength work, though I basically had to scream at him to cut it out for the last few weeks leading up to his fight since he so often didn't have the energy for the training we did because he burnt himself out from trying to do our fight training and strength training on the same day. Then again, if you've conditioned yourself to be used to that kind of training schedule then I guess you can probably hack it.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2010 11:31am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drmarrello View Post
    Go to youtube, search GSP workout! Then realize how dumb this thread is.
    Better yet, read the linked article where one question is

Rogan: You lift weights for looks?

GSP: Yeah, I lift weights for looks. Yeah, I am gonna admit it. Sometimes after Im training, Im gonna lift weights, but Im not doing it because Im gonna punch harder or Im gonna be stronger, because it has nothing to do with it. Im doing it because I want to to be like, you know, have a good shape. I do it for myself.
    (Emphasis mine)

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/26/2010 11:44am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It should also be mentioned that when someone rolls and conditions all day, they obviously have less time for weights.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast