Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2002 2:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been training for almost 20 years and still am nowhere close to being able to do a side split... I can however do a full front split. This really shows in my kicks. I can only throw side kicks and round kicks shoulder height while my cresent and axe kicks are well over my head.

I watch new students starting out and within a year they pass me in flexiblity.....Granted, I'm an old bastard (38).

Any ideas would be well appreciated.

(I know, you BJJ guys are thinking "Why in the hell would anybody want to kick that high anyway."

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    11/15/2002 2:44am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my hips just don't like a stretch to a side like that... front its not a problem though....

Hey, why kick high when you hands are up there already? or if you MUST kick his head put his head down to meet your foot, not bring up your foot!

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2002 2:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're right.... No reason to have to kick that high for self defense....... My poomsae has all these high side and round kicks in it... Just trying to improve that aspect.
  4. Michael

Posted On:
    11/15/2002 2:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grab 3 sumo wrestlers. 2 will hold your feet in split position while the 3rd jumps on your back...this is no joke man I've seen it on video.

Two guys walk into a bar....ouch that's gotta hurt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2002 2:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty flexible, just born that way. lately though I've been doing more dynamic stretches, instead of the static stretches where you just sit there and stretch. It's really helping a lot. For example, when you are doing your side splits you push your legs into the ground(imagine trying to stand up from the splits by squeezing your legs together)as hard as you can for a good amount of time. Then you relax and try to sink lower into your splits. You keep repeating this and eventually your muscles become to tired to resist you lowering. Some general rules for stretching that you probably already know: warm up before you stretch(a good way is leg lifts), do not bounce, and make sure you actually feel the stretch. In my class I see too many people look way to comfortable when they stretch. Stretching is going to be uncomfortable and your going to want to stop, but you need to keep going. Anyway, I hope this info can help, it's helped me a lot in my training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2002 3:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks bluesky...Sounds good, I'll give it a try.

Hey Michael, I don't know any sumo guys...Could I just have a fat chick sit on my back while I stretch?

"Remember to get lucky, go ugly early."

Edited by - LAWPILOT on November 15 2002 02:02:40

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    11/15/2002 3:56am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be careful to not hurt your hips!

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    11/15/2002 4:48am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Theres a REALLY good book called "Stretching Scientifically" but Tom Kurtz. This guy is like THE authority on flexibility. I've taken some excersize physiology classes and some of that book was STILL Greek to me. Very hard book to understand. The video is much better.

He describes that he way most of us stretch is wrong. Stretching BEFORE a workout is to prevent injury. You want to stretch when your muscles are WARM. He has specific excersises for specific goals and MAN do they work. Its not even that much stuff either. Its a warm up and then stretching a certain way. One thing that helped me out alot is when in a split you try and "pinch" the ground with your feet. Like you want your legs to CLOSE. You hold this for 10 seconds and then relax and let your body sink a little lower. It really works man. Another thing he comments on is that you shouldnt stretch hard every day. I always noticed that sometimes I would be LESS flexible when doing heavy stretching. He goes into why this is. If you really have a goal then get his video. He helped a 52 year old man achieve a full split. He really knows what hes talking about.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2002 10:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bluesky and peedee, the stuff you say about pushing your feet into the ground/pinching the ground sounds like chi kung. I've done some chi kung and have to say its great for flexibility and relaxation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2002 11:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in TKD we do loads of stretching. This type is great act like you have a beach ball between your knees and when you are in a stretch try and squeeze htis imaginery ball with your knees and try and hold it. go a bit lower in your stretch and repeat. If you do this three times in box splits then left and right then relax and repeatthe whole process again twice you will feel really stretchy if you do this evert three days with light stretching every other day you will advance very quickly. Remember to warm up first tho.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast