Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2010 2:49pm

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    I can actually see an advantage in this more intuitive approach, in that the very highly codified ukemi approach can get overly academic.
    Which is one of the reasons I believe we still have Zempo Kaiden. (that and so that your Uke can do rollouts from a projection throw instead of face-planting when you do semi-compliant two-person drills).

I can't remember the last time I was thrown backwards in such as way that I could execute a double-arm slap breakfall. In practical terms the throwee is almost always still in contact with the thrower, very often with one or both hands/arms, as they're being thrown. In combination with the knack of bridging and taking most of the impact into the soles of the feet, maintaining that connection effectively serves the same purpose as slap falling, dispersing the impact over a large surface area.
    This is something I'm looking into. But I need to do more research before I can even speak intelligently on it much less come to any sort of educated conclusion.

There's also the Glima approach, which favors contortionistic turnouts in mid-air and posting the hands against the floor if necessary. I don't know how they avoid wrist injuries, but they do seem to. Does Josephsson have any advice on falling, per se?
    Dunno. Haven't thought to look.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/16/2010 4:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which is one of the reasons I believe we still have Zempo Kaiden. (that and so that your Uke can do rollouts from a projection throw instead of face-planting when you do semi-compliant two-person drills).

The only equivalent I can think of in the European tradition is the standard gymnastic forward roll, but then, the concept of the projection throw isn't typical of European wrestling either.

Early film of catch wrestling exhibitions show them frequently being thrown heels-over-head, but again they tend to turn out if possible and/or bridge into a foot landing. OTOH that style kind of assumes soft mats:

YouTube - Ringkampfrekord (1906)
    YouTube - Old School Wrestling: YMCA footage
    YouTube - Catch-As-Catch-Can (1903)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12