--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanukkah-Jime View Post
    I want to leave Judo sir.
    Good heavens, man, why?
    IT'S DANGEROUS, SIR!

Pushups for the Monty Python Reference!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2010 6:43pm

Style: Shaolin, Goshin Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes do Judo, and do the Combat Sambo. But, at the risk of angering the Judo god, also really DO try to make it to that boxing gym that was mentioned earlier at some point. Even if you only pick up the basics, doing a pure striking art will give you a crisp and polished stand up routine quicker than training it in tandem with other skillsets. Not simply because you'll be spending more time on striking, but because you'll be focussing solely on learning to move and fight with strikes. While you will have to re-integrate this with your grappling, you'll gain basic skills much quicker if you learn under a separate (legitimate) instructor without having to worry about the added elements of grappling.

Also, boxing requires really really good fitness, trains you to be tough as hell, and is probably one of the simplest and quickest arts to pick up (not necessarily to master, but to become proficient in). If you really want to learn to fight, and you have access to a decent boxing gym, you need to find a really really good excuse if you're not going to go. Just make sure you don't end up doing fitness oriented fad stuff... you want to box competitively, as a sport.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2010 1:35am

Style: Judo super noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battheo View Post
    Yes do Judo, and do the Combat Sambo. But, at the risk of angering the Judo god, also really DO try to make it to that boxing gym that was mentioned earlier at some point. Even if you only pick up the basics, doing a pure striking art will give you a crisp and polished stand up routine quicker than training it in tandem with other skillsets. Not simply because you'll be spending more time on striking, but because you'll be focussing solely on learning to move and fight with strikes. While you will have to re-integrate this with your grappling, you'll gain basic skills much quicker if you learn under a separate (legitimate) instructor without having to worry about the added elements of grappling.

Also, boxing requires really really good fitness, trains you to be tough as hell, and is probably one of the simplest and quickest arts to pick up (not necessarily to master, but to become proficient in). If you really want to learn to fight, and you have access to a decent boxing gym, you need to find a really really good excuse if you're not going to go. Just make sure you don't end up doing fitness oriented fad stuff... you want to box competitively, as a sport.
    Well the gym is not to far away but its a matter of money and traveling expenses at this point. I don't have my own car yet but i usually can borrow a family car to drive. so I want to go to that gym after my financial situation gets better and I get a car.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910