Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 6:40am

Style: Gracie Barra BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Self defense program for the elderly

In september this year the state of Rio de Janeiro created a law that provides free self defense classes to citizens above 60 years old. The text of the law says the main goal is to improve this citizen's awareness in the street so they won't be easy targets for the muggers, as well as to give them some practical tools in order to prevent domestic accidents, like falls.

The link bellow shows some material on the subject, and the controversy that it rose. It shows a 75 year old krav maga practicioner telling that he does it for the health benefits, not the fighting ones. The krav maga instructor has actually a sensible opinion, saying that taking this classes will be really more like a hobby to the elderly, and that it takes "several years of practice to be able to react to an act of violence".

I think this is dangerous when it gets to the fighting aspect of the term self defense. Informing the citizens about the dangers on the streets, giving technics that will improve their awareness and stuff like that are good things, but once you start trying to tell them how to properly push someone's head 'till he falls to the ground things will get really complicated. It's a huge responsibility telling little old ladies that they can put that crack head to his knees using a krav maga technic...
    Has anyone heard of such program/law attempt in other place?

http://video.globo.com/Videos/Player...+NO+RJ,00.html

http://g1.globo.com/rio-de-janeiro/n...sos-no-rj.html

________________________________________________--

Here's the law text:

Lei 5.822 do Estado do Rio de Janeiro

Lei nº 5822 de 14 de setembro de 2010 dispõe sobre a criação do programa "Defesa Pessoal para Idosos" no âmbito do Estado do Rio de Janeiro.

O Governador do Estado do Rio de Janeiro Faço saber que a Assembléia Legislativa do Estado do Rio de Janeiro decreta e eu sanciono a seguinte Lei:

Art. 1 Fica criado no âmbito do Estado do Rio de Janeiro o programa: “Defesa Pessoal para Idosos”.

Art. 2 Considera-se idoso, para o disposto no caput do art. 1º, pessoas de ambos os sexos com idade igual ou superior a 60 (sessenta anos).

Art. 3 Caberá à Secretaria de Estado de Turismo, Esporte e Lazer em conjunto com as Prefeituras, a implantação deste Programa.

Art. 4 As aulas de defesa pessoal deverão ser ministradas por professores de educação física, especializados em artes marciais ou profissional com curso técnico em Defesa Pessoal reconhecido e comprovado, além de notório saber em artes marciais.

Art. 5 O Poder Executivo poderá firmar convênios com entidades públicas e privadas, ligadas aos segmentos de esporte, artes marciais e defesa dos idosos para a devida consecução desta Lei.

Art. 6 Esta Lei entrará em vigor na data de sua publicação, revogadas as disposições em contrário.

Rio de Janeiro, 14 de setembro de 2010

SÉRGIO CABRAL

Governador

Last edited by BoogieJitsu; 12/13/2010 6:47am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 11:55am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, there are plenty of "self defense for seniors" courses around, but I don't think I've ever heard of a program like that happening at the state/legislative level.

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 12:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think its a clever way to get them old people out and moving about and exercising.

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 12:06pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the hell is this elderly ****? :biggrin:

I turn 57 next month and have been training BJJ for a little over 2 years now. I think you can train realistic self defense to people over 60. Part of that will include something like rolling.

DerAuslander108 did a thread on that already.

Alive Training For Seniors or Dead Training Cuz Old People Suck - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 12:31pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogieJitsu View Post
    I think this is dangerous when it gets to the fighting aspect of the term self defense. Informing the citizens about the dangers on the streets, giving technics that will improve their awareness and stuff like that are good things, but once you start trying to tell them how to properly push someone's head 'till he falls to the ground things will get really complicated. It's a huge responsibility telling little old ladies that they can put that crack head to his knees using a krav maga technic...
    Has anyone heard of such program/law attempt in other place?
    I think that most people over 60 have enough life experience to avoid going out and playing Batman.

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 12:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I think that most people over 60 have enough life experience to avoid going out and playing Batman.
    Your not accounting for dementia :icon_chee

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 12:39pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess if I was in a room with a war veteran having a flashback, I would prefer it if they weren't trained in krav maga.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 10:59pm

Style: yellow bamboo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the hell ever happened to bingo?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 11:39pm

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diducdat? View Post
    What the hell ever happened to bingo?
    shut up

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 11:55pm

Style: Kyokushin, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I think its a clever way to get them old people out and moving about and exercising.
    So they can be more efficient and challenging prey!

Mwaha haha hahaha!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast