Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2010 3:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bodyweights and failure

Hi,

For you guys that do bodyweights do you do multiple sets (say 3 reps of 20 pushups) or do you just do one set to failure? What are the pros/cons of each way?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 10:33am

Style: Poor mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IsThisRight? View Post
    Hi,

For you guys that do bodyweights do you do multiple sets (say 3 reps of 20 pushups) or do you just do one set to failure? What are the pros/cons of each way?
    What are your goals?

I recently improved my woeful pushup count with a Pavel inspired daily pushup routine. Every single day, many sets a day, going nowhere near failure. It worked a hell of a lot better than anything else I've tried, and I used to think I wouldn't have a worthwhile workout without hitting complete muscle failure. I want to try it with pullups/chinups next.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 2:46pm

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chi-conspiricy View Post
    ... Every single day, many sets a day, going nowhere near failure. It worked a hell of a lot better than anything else I've tried, ...
    Just be careful = do a load of rows or something, you know, opposite muscle groups 'n that.
    A good friend of mine has knackered shoulder joints from 2000 pushups a day for ... well ... years I think.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 3:34pm

Style: Poor mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster View Post
    Just be careful = do a load of rows or something, you know, opposite muscle groups 'n that.
    A good friend of mine has knackered shoulder joints from 2000 pushups a day for ... well ... years I think.
    I did pullups 3 times a week. I can definitely see how it can mess up the shoulders in the long run if done in isolation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 5:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess my goal is increasing my functional strength (is that even a helpful description) and so in turn improve my MA performance, I've started the trainforstrength workout #1 and am just looking for an alternative to hindu squats because i dont wana mess up my knees even more. My legs are pretty powerful in comparison to my upper body anyway, I can just about do 38 pushups :/

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 5:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is wrong with your legs that you think hindu squats will mess up?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 5:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to do alot of high impact high stress stuff on the knees (mainly capoeira and running with load and boots). It got to the point where if i ran for more than a few minutes it would hurt to walk for a while, roughly 2 years later and now im pretty much rehabbed but I get lots of painless clicking and grinding and jamming up in my knees.
    I would just rather not tempt fate by going as far over my toes as you need to in hindu squats.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 6:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hindu squats helped REHAB my knees from the symptoms you are describing.

What leads you to beleive that knees going over the toes is tempting fate?
    "Emevas,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 6:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty much every person/coach/instructor says in their class that you shouldnt put the knees over the toes in lunges or squats. Plus it just makes sense that the further you go over your toes the more stress would be on your knees since that joint would get further away from your centre of gravity.
    What was wrong with your knee? Was it structural damage like a torn ligament? Or just something chronic like tendonitis?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 6:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Think of how many olympic lifters squat with their knees over their toes. And when you do a lunge, where is your back knee in relation to your toes? WAAAAY over.

It's an old fitness myth. The real goal of it was to teach lifters to initated a movement with their hips first, rather than their knees, but it mutated into it's current retardation of "knees NEVER go over toes"

Like I said, it was literally the same symptoms and causes that you listed. No capo, but lots of running with weights and ****. Now I can squat well over 450 raw.

You get your knees stronger by training them, not neglecting them.
    "Emevas,
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast