Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Limalama, Judo & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So do we have any hobby farmers out here?

As much fun as it is training, sparring and rolling, not to mention breaking things, I find the need for balance by tending the land and raising my own food. I've done a great deal of hobby farming and have a great deal more planned. What about the rest of you? Got a garden? Keep any livestock? Or do you just enjoy growing your own pot and need the tomatos to hide it in? ;)

Style
    BJJ/MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    As much fun as it is training, sparring and rolling, not to mention breaking things, I find the need for balance by tending the land and raising my own food. I've done a great deal of hobby farming and have a great deal more planned. What about the rest of you? Got a garden? Keep any livestock? Or do you just enjoy growing your own pot and need the tomatos to hide it in? ;)
    I keep trying to get the tomatoes and the pot to crossbreed so I can make salsa that gets me hiiiigh...

Seriously, though, I sort of have a garden. In reality I have a piece of dirt in the backyard that I am not allowed to **** with unless an anti-rabbit cage needs built to protect the carrots and greens. It's my girlfriend's territory and I'm fine with that as long as I get a share of the salsa, marinara and spinach dip that it produces.

Edit: She wants chickens, too. Dammit.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have some acreage and raise goats (meat and dairy), sheep, chickens, rabbits, have a garden plus strawberry and raspberry patches.

Ben

Style
    Boxing.MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a potted tomato plant.. I'm a regular old Macdonald
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I grow 3 types of tomato, eggplant, chilis, 2 types of avocado(on one tree), mango, papaya, lychee, long-on, tangerine, starfruit, lettuce and herbs :).

I'm currently drowning in starfruit actually.
    I also grow orchids.

Style
    Limalama, Judo & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bet Hawai'i has some interesting growing options. I've got about an acre and a half of land myself. My hobby farm is situated on the back 1/4 acre of it. I've got a BOC orchard with a little bit of everything and a nice collection of rare heirloom apples. Two gardens with about 2000 square feet of planting space, one for veggies and one for grains. I also keep nigerian dwarf dairy goats, pilgrim geese and guinea fowl. This year I am adding a bunch of new goodies too. I've built a top bar beehive, I am going to plant a cider apple fence, fodder crop living fences of honey locust and tagasaste for my goats, I am building chicken tractors to raise my own meat chickens and I might raise turkeys in the orchard again. Its a constant experiment out there for me and as soon as winter hits all I can think about is what I want to add to the farm. I also want to build a worm bin and get a biopod.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a lot of work! I want some chickens for eggs/fertilizer/meat and maybe a couple ducks for the slugs that eat my orchids. Bees would be nice too.
    It is very easy to grow stuff in my area, other parts of the island not so much.
    A couple miles away in Kailua the soil is all sand, devoid of nutrients and salty.
    I live a stones throw from the ocean but have rich, clay-ish, dark red soil.
    Turning in a little organic matter is about all i need to do here.
    Hawai'i is all about the micro-climates, we have lush rain-forests right next to desserts.

..oh and a client gave me a "topsy turvy", i'm gonna put tomato and herbs in there too and hang it from the rafters. :)

Style
    Limalama
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I grow oranges, strawberries, and lemons, I know, super exciting.

Style
    BJJ and MT at the moment
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when I was a little younger and my grandparents were in good health we often used to go to our village home(where my grandparents lived) and it had its little own farm. (we also used to have 3 other farms)

it was awesome. Working was fun and also we paid for nothing. Fresh milk, fresh eggs from "real" chicken every morning.

none of them are left now...good times...

Style
    brazillian jiu jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we always have a full garden and we have 5 chickens (black australorps)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last