Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/21/2010 1:09pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's becoming a thread derail here, but...

the gist was that I said I don't get to many Aiki seminars since having a Kid.
    You said there weren't many instructors particularly worth the effort, so i'd asked you to recommend some that were to help make sure I don't waste any of my reduced trips.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/22/2010 4:12am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL.. I remember, I was kidding.

I'll sit down this evening and PM you, the list won't be particularly long but, what method of aikido do you normally study and do you have any preference in terms of how you study IE with a martial attitude.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 9:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } Hello. My name is Justin Kagan. I ran across this posting by chance and felt it necessary to clear my name and clarify this situation. I have been a fan and member of this site since 2009 because, as Yogi said, there are a great number of fakes out there who simply want to throw around fancy titles bestowed upon them or somehow scam the world. I respect the purpose of this website and continue to do what I can in my own practice and capacity within the community to snuff out these kinds of negative influences. With that said, allow me to share my perspective on Yogi's appearance at our dojo...

Our school is a very traditional dojo, and as such, we typically do not desire visitors without notice. Our website states this in numerous places and politely asks any visitor to simply call or email prior to their visit. When we have a visitor, we want to be able to spend the necessary time and energy answering questions and helping them understand what we do. This translates to a disruption of normal class flow and students' progression. For this reason, we try to schedule visitors at appropriate times.

Yogi claims to be a Godan in a Japanese style and could not honor this simple request (even though the procedure was laid out online): he showed up to class unannounced. Further, he arrived around half an hour late for class, failed to remove his shoes upon entry, was unprepared to participate, and twenty minutes into class answered his phone in the dojo before going outside to take the call. I know many of the practitioners on this site may not think this is a huge deal, but the combination of these in our traditional setting shows a great lack of understanding for the cultural etiquette typical to a traditional Japanese dojo. Seeing as how this is a less and less common way of training anymore, I typically don't take offense. However, a Godan in any Japanese style should very well know at least half of these cultural norms...and follow them when visiting a school for the first time.

When returning from his rather lengthy phone call, he observed class for a brief period of time before asking me to step outside and discuss the possibility of hiring him to teach a grappling class. At the time we were using a Jazzercise studio. Even if our time was not limited by the space's availability, his approach was inappropriate. I tried numerous times to politely tell him we weren't interested and even suggested he try a few other local dojo that I was aware of who were looking for instructors. These were connections I had through the Orlando Martial Arts Meetup group, of which I am a co-organizer. ((As a side note, I believe this is where Yogi found me to begin with.)) He led into this conversation by saying he wanted to be a part of class, but he would wear his black belt...”because he earned it.” I explained that even if he were to start classes, he would not be allowed to wear that belt since it did not represent rank in our style and this was not an open seminar environment. We continued on and on with this, him exclaiming how because his style was Japanese, it was reasonable. I contested. Yogi continued to email me for the next week or two trying to strong arm some kind of employment without any mention of his concern for my legitimacy. He DID ask about my ranking and I shared what was pertinent, but declined an in depth discussion about it simply because of his attitude and approach. I have no problem sharing my lineage. In fact, I have been doing more research on it lately to trace the connections back as far as possible. While I'm on that subject, I'm happy to clarify that in two of the styles listed, I have a Shodan and the other two are first kyu/gup. These have been cited previously. Furthermore, I hold a Yondan in the style I teach now, Kan Ryu Taitokudo. This ranking is in line with my time studying, progress made in technique, and fulfillment of testing requirements. The wording taken from the meetup site sort of leaves things open to interpretation, but understand this is a style I learned from my grandfather. I do not claim to be the best, the brightest, or the prettiest, but I am dedicated and passionate about what I study.

Back to our story... about a year later, after we had the opportunity to move our dojo to Seminole State College as one of three martial arts clubs on campus, we were once again visited by Yogi. Considering the drama surrounding his last visit, I knew he had no interest in visiting for legitimate purposes, so I stopped class to address his concerns. He stood in the doorway for 45 minutes without ever stepping foot inside the dojo and proceeded to ask me about how he could start a club at the college. I briefly explained the procedure and that he had to be a student. He said he was in the law enforcement academy. I have a connection at the school who followed up on this for me. There was no student by his last name enrolled in that program. About a week after Yogi's visit I received a call from our club advisor. He said someone named “Allen” called to tell him that I did not have any ranking or proper credentials to be teaching. The advisor explained that to teach at the college an instructor has to provide all of that information and that it was on file. He reassured “Allen” that I was not only qualified, but capable of teaching such a class. I later learned that Yogi's real name is Alexander A. Draw your own conclusions from this...

In the end, I feel sympathy for Yogi. He has moved to a new area and is simply trying to find his way. Had his approach been different, I may have been able to help him find what he was looking for. May this also serve as an opportunity for anyone out there reading this post to understand that different dojo expect different things, whether you're an instructor, student, or visitor. If you are unclear of these expectations, research common protocol, read their website, and ask! Challenging a legitimate instructor based on an ignorant perception of reality serves no one. I hope that Yogi will find his place in the martial arts community, but that place will be short lived if he continues to conduct himself in this way. Thank you everyone for your support and, most of all, your integrity.

Posted On:
    6/11/2011 5:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shuukazedojo View Post
    Furthermore, I hold a Yondan in the style I teach now, Kan Ryu Taitokudo. This ranking is in line with my time studying, progress made in technique, and fulfillment of testing requirements. The wording taken from the meetup site sort of leaves things open to interpretation, but understand this is a style I learned from my grandfather.
    So where did he learn it? This style appears nowhere on the internet except in connection to your own name.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    6/12/2011 4:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yogi claims to be a Godan in a Japanese style and could not honor this simple request (even though the procedure was laid out online): he showed up to class unannounced. Further, he arrived around half an hour late for class, failed to remove his shoes upon entry, was unprepared to participate, and twenty minutes into class answered his phone in the dojo before going outside to take the call. I know many of the practitioners on this site may not think this is a huge deal, but the combination of these in our traditional setting shows a great lack of understanding for the cultural etiquette typical to a traditional Japanese dojo. Seeing as how this is a less and less common way of training anymore, I typically don't take offense. However, a Godan in any Japanese style should very well know at least half of these cultural norms...and follow them when visiting a school for the first time.
    He led into this conversation by saying he wanted to be a part of class, but he would wear his black belt...”because he earned it.” I explained that even if he were to start classes, he would not be allowed to wear that belt since it did not represent rank in our style and this was not an open seminar environment. We continued on and on with this, him exclaiming how because his style was Japanese, it was reasonable.
    I pretty much know poop about poop - but this sounds like the sort of behaviour that would annoy 95%+ of the instructors here, regardless of art or tradition.

Posted On:
    6/12/2011 6:59am

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Furthermore, I hold a Yondan in the style I teach now, Kan Ryu Taitokudo. This ranking is in line with my time studying, progress made in technique, and fulfillment of testing requirements. The wording taken from the meetup site sort of leaves things open to interpretation, but understand this is a style I learned from my grandfather. I do not claim to be the best, the brightest, or the prettiest, but I am dedicated and passionate about what I study.
    So your grandfather taught you this art, that you are a 4th dan in?

Did he grade you or did you assign yourself that grade?

Did you, he, or someone else invent the name for it?

What were the source arts for what he taught? For example, the sword work.

Posted On:
    6/12/2011 8:13am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Maofas: This is part of the lineage I'm currently researching. I've learned that my grandparents had a very strong relationship with a Japanese couple. My grandfather was also involved in Judo, Jiujitsu, and some Aikido. Although not confirmed yet, I believe the Japanese man and my grandfather trained together in Judo and that training led to my grandfather being trained in Kan Ryu Taitokudo. I'll be sure to update this forum should I uncover anything more on this. ...Now, just because it's not on the internet doesn't make it invalid. I'm proud of the fact that our style isn't extremely popular, simply because it means less people are familiar with it. But, the lack of internet resources has certainly been discouraging as I have pursued this lineage in more depth. I feel it's important that we share this style which is why I have the website.

@Larus marinus: Thanks for the support.

@Yoj: Yes, my grandfather taught me the art that I am a yondan in. He graded me. As to the name and source arts, I'm still unclear of its origin (see my response to Maofas above). In my personal experience, though, the sword looks more like iaijutsu than iaido/kendo/kenjutsu...it's very fluid with more focus on dynamic defense than static blocks. Cuts are pretty standard with a few positions being different. Open hand has parries, throws, sweeps, joint locks, choke/strangle holds, and targeted striking with kicking mostly below the waist. I have incorporated some concrete breaking as part of our striking training. I wouldn't say that we're "breakers" but we do challenge our technique against these targets. When trying to tell people what it looks like, I usually compare it to Judo, Aikido, and Kung-fu (for some of the hand work). These are just familiar styles for people, not necessarily source arts.

Posted On:
    6/12/2011 5:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Maofas: This is part of the lineage I'm currently researching. I've learned that my grandparents had a very strong relationship with a Japanese couple. My grandfather was also involved in Judo, Jiujitsu, and some Aikido. Although not confirmed yet, I believe the Japanese man and my grandfather trained together in Judo and that training led to my grandfather being trained in Kan Ryu Taitokudo. I'll be sure to update this forum should I uncover anything more on this. ...Now, just because it's not on the internet doesn't make it invalid. I'm proud of the fact that our style isn't extremely popular, simply because it means less people are familiar with it. But, the lack of internet resources has certainly been discouraging as I have pursued this lineage in more depth. I feel it's important that we share this style which is why I have the website.

No, it doesn't make it invalid, but it certainly does make it sound fishy. One can find at least some reference to many obscure arts online. I'm not deliberately trying to bust your balls, but "an unnamed Asian man taught me/my relative his secret family style" is such a common b.s. story. That doesn't mean it couldn't be true in your case, but I would be naive if I wasn't a bit dubious.

You said you've been researching it, so do you know the Japanese man/couple's name who taught your grandfather?

Also, from your site, how did you you come to receive this notable award: "World Hall of Fame Sokeship Council Instructor of the Year: Iaido in 2000"?
    Last edited by maofas; 6/12/2011 6:13pm at .

Posted On:
    6/12/2011 6:14pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Also, from your site, how did you you come to receive this notable award?

"World Hall of Fame Sokeship Council Instructor of the Year: Iaido in 2000"
    As an addition to this, if you expect to be taken at all seriously in the real iaido world, you will need to be training in a legitimate style, with a traceable lineage, that's just how it is. Don't take that as an attack, but, if you want to progress, think about about pursuing training under someone with those credentials.

Posted On:
    6/12/2011 6:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In all fairness, it's that last name "Kagan" that makes everything suspect.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast