My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 4:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogi San View Post
    Ok well I want to say Thanks for breaking it down like. I have learn something from you today. Thanks for taking the time out... I will no longer use Sensei...

>> next question to findout if this guy is a Sensei or Instructor ??
    The short answer is YES.

If it is his art that he founded and teaches then he most definitely is the GrandMuckyMuck of it. Issues would arise if he was trying to claim another style or link his style to another without proof. The effectiveness of the style is another matter altogether. If he is claiming his art is uber deadly and will demolish all comers with nothing to back it up then he would simply be full of ****. From my brief look through his site he seems like most other japanophiles out. Likes to play dress up and wave a sword around.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 4:43pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    The effectiveness of the style is another matter altogether. If he is claiming his art is uber deadly and will demolish all comers with nothing to back it up then he would simply be full of ****. From my brief look through his site he seems like most other japanophiles out. Likes to play dress up and wave a sword around.
    This is your second poster explaining this issue to you.

As I said earlier 4th degree is a low rank for your own creation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 5:09pm

Style: Ju-jitsu,Goju Ryu, arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    37 with only 24 yrs of martial arts. My highest is 5th dan.. So what I ask, i guess is wrong of me.. So i guess I shouldnt haved bring this question to this site then. Am i right??

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 5:16pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogi San View Post
    37 with only 24 yrs of martial arts. My highest is 5th dan.. So what I ask, i guess is wrong of me.. So i guess I shouldnt haved bring this question to this site then. Am i right??
    Lemme tell you what you ought to do.

Make yourself a nice warm beverage (tea, a nice chai, or a frap or something or other, whatever you like) and start from the beginning of the thread. Read it really closely. Take each post and look at it twice or even three times. Make a list of what things you're asking about and what things are being responded with. Facts, not how they're written or any particular "vulgar" language, just facts.

Make sure this is very thorough. Then I think you'll have a better answer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 5:48pm

Style: Ju-jitsu,Goju Ryu, arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your help I will do that..

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 6:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a side note: what is the correct Japanese word for teacher/instructor (in a MA context)? Please no Kanji since I don't speak Japanese.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 9:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    On a side note: what is the correct Japanese word for teacher/instructor (in a MA context)? Please no Kanji since I don't speak Japanese.
    Well tough I'm not going to make up for your ignorance!:5slick:

OK OK I was just kidding, stop crying I was only foolin.

Its not that easy and a reason why an understanding of the culture is key. There are several terms but technically the closest to "teacher" is KYOUSHI 教師 but the most common term is SENSEI. You would address the head of the dojo as sensei because it is polite just as you would do the same for a doctor, lawyer, etc. You might be a high yudansha (dan grade aka Black belt) in the school but not sensei if its not your school.

Other terms used are SHIHAN, SHISHO, RENSHI, HANSHI but keep in mind that there are situational. Some orgs use the term some don't.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/21/2010 6:05am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In addition to the above which is spot on.

Fukushidoin 副指導員 means assistant or associate instructor. - Normally awarded to those undertaking kenshusei studies from around 2nd-3rd dan

The title shidoin 指導員 means instructor. - Normally awarded to those who've completed a kenshusei course, someone with at least 25 years of study and 4th-5th dan

Shidoshi which comes from the same noun 指導 means leadership, guidance or coaching, in effect the same as "shidoin".

Shihan 師範 literally means 'teacher' however it is used to indicate a very senior position often a master teacher or 'teacher of teachers'. Normally awarded from 6th dan and above (but not automatically)

Fukushidoin/Shidoin/(Shidoshi)/Shihan These are not ranks they are merely titles used to denote a position of responsibility within a dojo or organisation.

They are very often misunderstood and therefore misused. People have lost the sense of worth in using the term sensei which is, out of all of the iemoto, the most respectful thing you could say to someone providing tuition. The problem is, you don't (or shouldn't) refer to yourself as a "sensei" (unless you want others to thing you have your head up your own arse) thus, people want titles... Hence the misunderstanding and misuse mentioned before.

What people (westerner's) fail to grasp without studying Japanese as a language is that it's not only literal but very much contextually based with many words which to us sound the same, appear to have the same meaning yet given context mean very different things depending upon the situation in which they are used.

The safest option is if you're not sure, stay the hell away form using Japanese titles when involved in MA.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    12/21/2010 6:30am

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A shorter version is that we in the west put a lot of weight behind titles, and if we have one it gets thrown around a lot "Hello Dr Soandso" as opposed to "Hello Sir", at that end of the world it's more a case of being respectful to those that deserve it. My wife talks to a friend of hers thats a master chef in Hong Kong and calls him Sifu for the same reason, but he'd sound silly if he said he was "Sifu Soandso in cooking"

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/21/2010 8:02am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yoj..

We did the "short" version earlier in the thread. ;-)
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast