Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 2:18am

Style: Ju-jitsu,Goju Ryu, arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To Lump of Coal if you read the past post I have done That & talk to him in person & via e-mail but it didnt work at all. the reason i came here is just to see if i could get some help....

About being butthurt and bitchy? LMAO Nope Im Good !!. I guess I will have to wait & see if i get the help that im asking for but other then that it's ALL GOOD!
    I see you did or do Goju Ryu Cool... anyways thanks to all. Ive learn something here
    Last edited by Yogi San; 12/20/2010 2:28am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 2:27am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogi San View Post
    I ask him in a very nice way who is his Teacher & if he could show me some type of proof but he never did & never wanted for what ever is the reason
    There is no nice way to ask this at all.

You don't get it do you? Your current reaction to an explanation about Sensei and someone pointing out the irony in your style is funny.

Here, let me spell it out. You want proof that what this guy claims is fact. You took a "STAB" at his lineage by asking him for proof.

When questioned about your lineage, even though that didn't happen, you got all butt-hurt and it was a "STAB" at your lineage.
    So, why are you shocked that someone reacted just.....like.....you when their lineage was questioned?

Again if i came out in some way as an ass oo ( Im Sorry ) but i didnt like that fact that someone want to stab my profile & he doesnt have one up for what ever reason.. So again I'm aking for some help here. I ask the guy in person & also via e-mail & nothing. So I was wondering if I could get some help here from you all If not that is fine also.. I didnt know what are step to take to find out & I thought that this place would be a great place to start for looking for Help on this.. Thanks again for reply back to me
    He has a profile up you can't access it. Quit crying about your profile being used as an example of your silliness.

You art was made up by an American.
    Justin Kagan's arts is made up by an American.

Your complaining makes your current thread ironic.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 2:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok so you know i have no problem telling some about my lineage at all. I understand what you are saying.. Thanks for breaking it down to me.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 9:46am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is given me a leason on the word sensei when everyone in the USA use that word.
    Yogi San..

Do you speak Japanese ? Have you trained for any period of time directly under a Japanese instructor ? Have you trained in Japan ?

All of those questions are directly related to how you (not anyone else) might understand the language, culture and social trappings associated with "Budo" and other Japanese martial systems.

Also, have you heard the phrase "Two wrongs don't make a right"

Now, I intentionally baited you with the "sensei" thing purposefully to see how you react to being questioned about your own credibility, given your opening post which questioned someone else.

Your reaction was exactly as I suspected it would be. My advice to you would be to spend far more time training and much less time worrying or concerning yourself with another person's business unless, that person business is influencing you and your training in some way. Otherwise you'll just come across as potentially a hate poster with no real reason for questioning this guy's credentials.

Secondly, with regard to...
    everyone in the USA use that word
    I'd suggest (if it were me) stop using that term and don't advertise the fact that some gaijin based Budo society or association has seen fit to recognise you as being born before someone else. Because that's as good as it's worth - Nothing. Unless you want to use it to pad out your MA resume, if that's the case, welcome to the world of martial arts bullshit.

Oh and with regard to my own study, seeing you asked; I've studied both gendai and koryu budo for more years than I care to remember, I've studied in Japan, a graduate of kenshusei (a martial arts teacher's course) I speak a moderate amount of conversational Japanese and, the only person within the Ryu-ha I study, who gets to be called "Sensei" (out of respect for the man) is Hakudo Nakayama who's no longer living, this is despite that fact we have some very senior graded people within the organisation with 30+ years of experience, that way the term sensei actually retains some meaning and context and isn't cheapened to the point of worthlessness because every black-belt and his dog calls themselves it.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 3:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So are you saying that everyone In the USA that didnt studied in Japan shouldn't use the word Sensei??

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 4:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So are you saying that everyone In the USA that didnt studied in Japan shouldn't use the word Sensei??
    Better yet no one who doesn't understand the Japanese language or culture shouldn't use it, which is most of the USA also.

Terms like "Sensei" and even worse "Soke" are greatly misused by westerners which futher goes to the irony that one guy form an American made art is complaining about another American made are using the same mistakes.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 4:09pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have an instructor, a teacher, and his/her students want, out of respect, to refer to that person as Sensei, that's perfectly acceptable use of a term which is honorific, that's what it's for.

To call YOURSELF or claim to be RECOGNISED as a sensei is fucking bullshit, I can't say it any plainer than that and it doesn't matter a hoot how many people use the term in the US, it still doesn't legitimise the misunderstanding and use of a word.

You don't go around saying that you're recognised as a "Mr." do you? contextually, it would be the same thing. But you'd see how stupid it would sound to someone who spoke English so, understand how stupid it sounds to a native Japanese or someone who understands the correct meaning - both literal and contextual - when someone says I'm recognised as a sensei.

If you dropped the word sensei and substituted it for "instructor" or "coach" or "teacher" then it wouldn't be so daft however that might raise the question, are you qualified to be an instructor, coach or teacher ? (that's rhetorical by the way, I care less if you are or not)

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 4:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok well I want to say Thanks for breaking it down like. I have learn something from you today. Thanks for taking the time out... I will no longer use Sensei...

>> next question to findout if this guy is a Sensei or Instructor ??

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 4:32pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alejandro, as an addition to my last post, let me ask, how old are you, how many years have you been training and what's your current (highest) dan rank.

I don't ask these questions to lead you into another critique, I ask because this information gives context to the sensei discussion.

On the flip side of those questions, I'm 45, I've been training for over 20 years, was a nidan before undertaking my kenshusei course and that concluded with a sandan examination, my highest yudansha is yondan. I also study a koryu which doesn't use the kyu/dan system and in that I hold a teaching licence of okuiri-sho which is roughly the equivalent of a nidan in some gendai budo.

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 4:33pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    next question to findout if this guy is a Sensei or Instructor ??
    What exactly do you think we can do for you ?

~Ella Wheeler
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast