Posted On:
    12/10/2010 12:15am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus View Post
    Your assumption is hugely flawed.

With your logic, bicycle riding, computer hacking, cooking is bullshit as well.

The thing is Bartitsu is about fighting. So we are right to expect a bartitsu practitioner to fight.

As I would expect a fencer to fence, or an archer to use bows (considering the examples that you gave)

And I think its perfectly ok if a bartitsu practitioner says that he just trains it for fun but he/she accepts it is not very suitable for fighting/self defence. Nothing is wrong with that.
    But If a bartitsu practitioner talks about how tough he is, then the things may change.
    It would be quite ungentlemanly to brag about one's own prowess in these matters ...

But really, Bartitsu was a method of cross-training between pre-WW1 judo, several styles of ko-ryu jujitsu, boxing, savate, wrestling and stick fighting. It can be tweaked into a decent self defense method if people want to go that way, and some do.

Competition is still on the horizon until there are enough practitioners to justify tournaments, etc. There are plans for an international conference in London next year, and part of the agenda will be to hash out some competitive formats.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/10/2010 12:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Frankly, this sounds exciting. One thing I've always wanted to know: how does Bartitsu compare to Defendu -- which is another British art that has a similar history (albeit a later one)?
    The technical similarities are what you'd expect from Western interpretations of basic jujitsu mixed with rough and tumble. The main difference was that Bartitsu was designed as an on-going training course for civilians, rather than as a crash course for soldiers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2010 12:01pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    everyone has failed to mention the number one rule of bartitsu

to participate you must have a glorious moustache.

Posted On:
    12/10/2010 4:27pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I attended one seminar, and while interesting historically, I didn't see too much useful for self-defense. It was definitely more of a historical geekery thing. Given, it may have just been the instructor, or the slant of the seminar.

Overall it just seemed like a mish-mash of stiking, cane fighting, and grappling. Personally having extensive experience in all three of these disciplines, I wasn't terribly impressed by the quality of the curriculum. It was kind of bad judo, bad stickfighting, and poor kickboxing all wrapped up in a historical context.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    12/10/2010 4:30pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
    I attended one seminar, and while interesting historically, I didn't see too much useful for self-defense. It was definitely more of a historical geekery thing. Given, it may have just been the instructor, or the slant of the seminar.

Overall it just seemed like a mish-mash of stiking, cane fighting, and grappling. Personally having extensive experience in all three of these disciplines, I wasn't terribly impressed by the quality of the curriculum. It was kind of bad judo, bad stickfighting, and poor kickboxing all wrapped up in a historical context.
    You sir, are no gentleman.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/10/2010 4:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno View Post

Assuming this was the Seattle seminar earlier this year, I'd go with "slant of the seminar", which was to introduce the overall concept of Bartitsu as martial arts cross-training within a very specific historical context. Hence, old-school pugilism and low savate kicks rather than Muay Thai, etc.

The perennial problem with something like Bartitsu for modern day self defense is the tension between historical authenticity and pragmatism. There's simply not a lot of point in studying walking stick self defense unless you're reasonably likely to be carrying a cane when you're attacked - that was a realistic possibility for London gents in 1900, but not so much these days. Still, like I said, some Bartitsu revivalists do take it in that direction.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    12/10/2010 5:06pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm actually starting to carry a cane.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2010 7:03pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi