Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 10:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacked Frost View Post
    The form demonstrated in the article is poor bench press form. Again, don't bench like a bodybuilder, bench like a powerlifter. Use an arch and tuck your elbows, don't flare them, and you'll save your shoulders lots of wear and tear.
    How many times do you see good form on the bench press ? Not too often I would think. Most of the muecle head wannabees in the gym have piss poor form.

I think you get a better pump on dumb bells, and the stabilzer muscles are more involved.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    12/09/2010 3:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    RichD, your arguments on bench pressing are entirely based on poor exercise form. We are NOT encouraging that any exercise should be done incorrectly.

Do you honestly think benching with dumbells will save your shoulders from wear and tear?

Pretty much any strenuous activity, when repeated over many years will have some detrimental consequence. However, these can be limited with good attention to form.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/09/2010 8:11am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RichD View Post
    How many times do you see good form on the bench press ? Not too often I would think. Most of the muecle head wannabees in the gym have piss poor form.

I think you get a better pump on dumb bells, and the stabilzer muscles are more involved.
    Why do we care about how often I see good form? I work out at home, I never see any form.

Why do we care about muscle head wannabees at the gym? We're talking about a program for the TC here, not those gusys.

Why do we care about a pump? A pump is not valuable in strength training in the slightest.

Why does it matter if the stablizer muscles are more involved? In a low rep strength building routine, the instability of DBs results in form retardation, which decreases strength building and increases the rate of injury.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/09/2010 4:00pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I need to work my arms and chest more, strength being the goal, mass gain being a hopeful effect of this.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/09/2010 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabelle Keeh View Post
    I need to work my arms and chest more, strength being the goal, mass gain being a hopeful effect of this.
    Follow the routine I posted
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2010 10:32pm

Style: The grapply boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the input, I think I'm going to go with the 5x5SL & GOMAD.

I take it from what I see on the forums that isolation training and bow-flex type **** ain't gonna work? Would I benefit from adding bicep isolation or chin-ups to the regimen? TY

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2010 11:24pm

Style: Poor mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kcvmac View Post
    Thanks for the input, I think I'm going to go with the 5x5SL & GOMAD.

I take it from what I see on the forums that isolation training and bow-flex type **** ain't gonna work? Would I benefit from adding bicep isolation or chin-ups to the regimen? TY
    Where in stronglifts does it talk about biceps isolation? It doesn't, because you don't need it. Go to the websites like everyone said, and start reading and watching videos about the squat, deadlift, overhead press, and bench press. Don't add anything to the program, period.

In addition to the stronglifts and starting strength videos, watch this whole series. Really good stuff on the squat, and what you will likely do wrong when you do it.
    YouTube - Squat Rx #1

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2010 9:27am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RichD View Post

This is why, in most instances, the guys here advocate getting someone who is knowledgeable to train you on proper form and technique. You can use poor form with dumbbells also. Actually it's much easier to use unsymmetrical lifting using dumbbells and using body english to lift. The body english is actually what involves more of your core, however unbalanced that might be.

I can personally attest that after years of bodybuilding benching, with "good" form, my shoulders were constantly hurting. I watched a video on youtube by smittydiesel, and others and corrected my form, and my shoulders no longer hurt, even when I am benching over 315. Hooray for that.

There's a lot of good stuff on the Internet for this, but you should probably still get some hands on training to get it right.

YouTube - How to Bench Press, Get a Big Chest, Add Muscle All Without Wrecking Your Shoulders

Also, for those who don't mind cursing:

YouTube - Dave Tate's Six-Week Bench Press Cure

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/10/2010 6:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a lot of good stuff on the Internet for this, but you should probably still get some hands on training to get it right.Thanks for the video.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2010 11:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great videos ,good instruction thanks
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast