Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmetShamash View Post
    holy hell, there are some serious reviews for flashlights out there

fenix ta21 and ta30
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbPwgmYqCMo

oh, and I have this cheapish thing and it works great for me (95 lumens for 2 hours)
    Nebo Redline for the savy budget minded:

http://www.amazon.com/Nebo-Redline-T.../dp/B0049M8I22

$25
    220 Lumen
    5 light modes 220, 50%, 10%. SOS and strobe.
    a 4x adjustable beem so you can focus or widen to about 25 ft wide
    magnetic base
    water proof.

This flashlight actually dropped out of my pocket into a solution of caustic soda. I retrieved it, rinsed it and still works fine despite the acid etch on the body.

Uses 3 AAA batteries. Run time is 4 hours @220, 8 @110, 15 @22, and 72 hours in SOS or strobe.
    I have 2 of these in my bedroom and one in each car. This inexpensive flashlight has features found in high dollar units and if its not your primary its a wonderful backup.

When I bought this at a local mom and pops store they instructed me to depress the power button rapidly to cycle between modes. I thought this was a deal breaker for a tactical light but the cost was worth it. After I played around with it I found just light pressure switched between modes.
    Last edited by chainpunch; 2/28/2011 9:45am at . Reason: link added

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/05/2011 7:41pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe some folks can help me plan my trip to Camp Skeletor.

I have taken 2 weeks off in August and am trying to figure out a good way to also visit Ithaca, NY.

If I fly by United Airlines from Las Vegas to Roanoke, from Roanoke to Ithaca, and from Ithaca, to Las Vegas, it's really expensive. It's like $1500. Compare this to a round trip from Las Vegas to Roanoke which is only around $700.

EDIT: Or $234 if I take a red eye starting at 1 AM on Sunday.

I believe it's only $1100 or so if I fly to NYC instead of Ithaca, from where I could take a 5 hour bus trip to Ithaca, theoretically.

The thing is, it is just ridiculously expensive to fly from Roanoke to Ithaca, and I am not sure how the New York airport staff would react to airsoft guns in my checked luggage anyway. I am also not sure if I'd get crap over the airsoft guns if I tried to take a bus.

What about renting a car in Roanoke, VA, and driving it to Ithaca, NY? I probably wouldn't get into trouble over the airsoft guns if I were pulled over by a cop somewhere, right?

According to Google Maps, driving from Roanoke to Ithaca would take about 8 hours and would be about 500 miles. I haven't personally used rental cars very much in the past. How practical or cost effective would it be to use a rental car in that manner?

It would still be anywhere from $470 to $891 (gag) to fly from Ithaca to Las Vegas, and doubling back to Roanoke might be a little ridiculous, but flying to Las Vegas from NYC would be only $283 or so. Could I rent a car in Roanoke and basically return it in NYC?

Should I consider shipping my airsoft guns in a locked case from Roanoke back to Las Vegas, for fear of having problems with the airsoft guns in the airports in NY?

I guess I just need a little help with the planning.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2011 10:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to talk to Iniquity. He knows New York and is in fact traveling down here from New York. He could probably figure something out for you.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/05/2011 11:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    iniquity has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.
    :/

...I hope he checks this thread.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/06/2011 5:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that he lives in Brooklyn---you're trying to go to northwestern NY state. Not really close...I would think that he knows the better ways to get up there---trains/planes, etc. I dunno. I haven't talked to him in a long time.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/06/2011 11:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, NYC is about 5 hours away from Ithaca, so at least it would be a start...

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/06/2011 7:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, Skele, would you happen to know what rental car companies are in Roanoke, besides for Enterprise? I can get started by finding out if I can rent from any of them in Roanoke and return in NYC. With Enterprise I apparently can't.

Much appreciated. :)

EDIT: If anyone wants to mount a camera on their helmet, I found what appears to be a good product for that purpose: http://www.helmetcamera.com/
    Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 3/06/2011 7:12pm at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/07/2011 9:18am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hertz Rent-A-Car
    (540) 366-2431

Avis Rent-A-Car
    (540) 366-2436

Budget Rent-A-Car
    (540) 265-7328

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2011 4:39pm

Style: CLF

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm checking in from time to time here. Still in the planning stages of when I'm traveling and if I'll be alone or not. Depends on my brother's ability to get time off from work. My car's small, but in theory I should be able to fit another person in the car. I'll post once my time off request is approved and I have definite travel dates. Most likely I'll be going down Friday night or Saturday morning and coming back the following Sunday.

The only thing about this plan that will suck for you is that it's pretty much a straight run up I81 from Roanoke to Ithaca. To get to NYC, we get off I81 in Pennsylvania and take I78 several hours east across a few toll bridges. So you may want to look into hotels in that area we could drop you at and you could depart from there in the morning, as I'm doubting you want to drive several hours in the wrong direction that involve tolls.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/09/2011 6:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been researching this stuff and ultimately ended up calling a travel agency.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 LastLast