View Poll Results: What level of readiness to you keep your pistol?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Condition 1

    19 59.38%
  • Condition 2

    8 25.00%
  • Condition 3

    4 12.50%
  • Condition 4

    1 3.13%
Page 5 of 5 First 12345
  1. #41
    Robstafarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,822
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by donoraen View Post
    Maybe a blank as your first round for a quazi safety?
    For some pistol calibers, blanks are enormously loud. I had trouble believing that a blank would be louder than loaded ammunition, but I've seen more than one source of .45ACP blanks explicitly labeled as such.

    Furthermore, most semi-automatics wouldn't cycle properly after firing a blank.

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    488
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was actually thinking about an older revolver. And if I actually have to pull a gun chances are loudness wouldn't be a problem. I didn't know that most semi-automatics malfunctioned with blanks, do you know why?

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh/ Durham, NC
    Posts
    562
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need something in front of the explosion like the bullet itself or a blank adaptor to stop the gasses from going out the barrel so quickly in order to cycle the weapon.

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    488
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks.

  5. #45
    Lord Skeletor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Snake Mountain, Eternia
    Posts
    632
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chainpunch View Post
    You need something in front of the explosion like the bullet itself or a blank adaptor to stop the gasses from going out the barrel so quickly in order to cycle the weapon.
    Yep...many guns are plugged to some degree to restrict the gases in the barrel to help move the slide back and forth. For maximum training effect with blanks, use a "starter gun" (not a firearm) which is chambered in .22. Get yourself some .22 short blanks (pretty cheap) and have at it.

  6. #46
    Robstafarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,822
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by donoraen View Post
    Maybe a blank as your first round for a quazi safety?
    Getting back to this question, which I forgot to address directly, I think carrying a blank as your first round would actually reduce safety. Firstly, you'd have to get past the first round to defend yourself. Secondly, you'd allow yourself to develop unsafe habits because you know you have a blank under the hammer—which makes you dangerous.

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    488
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Getting back to this question, which I forgot to address directly, I think carrying a blank as your first round would actually reduce safety. Firstly, you'd have to get past the first round to defend yourself. Secondly, you'd allow yourself to develop unsafe habits because you know you have a blank under the hammer—which makes you dangerous.
    Makes sense, I just heard it being used as a safety and thought it was kind of strange and wondered what the gun community thought about it.

Page 5 of 5 First 12345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO