233386 Bullies, 3883 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: What level of readiness to you keep your pistol?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Condition 1

19 59.38%
  • Condition 2

8 25.00%
  • Condition 3

4 12.50%
  • Condition 4

1 3.13%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/26/2010 3:00pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The "Textbook" conditions as they were taught originally by Jeff Cooper are:

Condition 0: Safety disengaged, ready to fire with a pull of the trigger.
    Condition 1: Safety Engaged, round in chamber, you need to disengage the safety and pull the trigger to fire.
    Condition 2: Half Cocked hammer, safety not engaged (it can't be on the 1911 if the hammer isn't all the way back), round in the chamber. Must cock the hammer and pull the trigger to fire. (Nowadays, some 1911s don't have a half cock notch anymore, so this may not be an option for some).
    Condition 3: Chamber empty, safety disengaged, hammer down, full magazine. You must chamber a round to begin firing. Safety stays disengaged so that the slide may move.
    Condition 4: The same as 3, but there is no magazine in the weapon leaving it completely empty.

These conditions were made for soldiers using the 1911 which Cooper considered, at the time, the best pistol design out there for combat shooting. These conditions often won't apply to many other designs, particularly DA/SA pistol options.

Posted On:
    12/26/2010 3:03pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    if you aren't comfortable carrying with one in the pipe, you plain aren't ready to carry......

....1. If you're not comfortable carrying with a round chambered (safety on, of course) then I sincerely doubt you're ready to put rounds on target, naw mean? Again, that isn't an insult, some people just don't have what it takes to shoot a human being, and until you're in that situation, you just don't know.....

I Agree with this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2011 10:57am

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think condition 3 should be used by civilians who have no gun retention skills or people that open carry. If you should get your gun taken away you at least have a fighting chance of trying to get the gun back. Also it takes about a second to load a round in the chamber so it is not a big deal to carry condition 3.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    1/05/2011 11:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    I think condition 3 should be used by civilians who have no gun retention skills or people that open carry. If you should get your gun taken away you at least have a fighting chance of trying to get the gun back. Also it takes about a second to load a round in the chamber so it is not a big deal to carry condition 3.

Again, i feel if you have no gun retention skills, you shouldn't be carrying. I've never taken a CCW class, but I would hope that they teach firearm retention.

Open carrying is retarded. No, seriously. I know that its "a right" or whatever, but all it does is give you unwanted attention. If you can't get a CCW, you shouldn't be carrying a gun, and you shouldn't carry it open. Seriously, I'm as pro gun as you can be, but all you're doing by open carrying is making everyone look at you, and making you an easier target.

Obviously military/law enforcement/security personnel would be exceptions.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2011 11:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    Again, i feel if you have no gun retention skills, you shouldn't be carrying. I've never taken a CCW class, but I would hope that they teach firearm retention.

Open carrying is retarded. No, seriously. I know that its "a right" or whatever, but all it does is give you unwanted attention. If you can't get a CCW, you shouldn't be carrying a gun, and you shouldn't carry it open. Seriously, I'm as pro gun as you can be, but all you're doing by open carrying is making everyone look at you, and making you an easier target.

Obviously military/law enforcement/security personnel would be exceptions.
    Unfortunately they don't teach gun retention during CCW classes but then again I know some cops that could not retain their gun if they had too either. What they teach in most academies won't work but that is a different subject.

As far as people should not carry a gun becasue they don't want to have one in the pipe is kind of going over board. I teach condition 3 carry to civilians. I show the correct way of charging (loading) the weapon and putting rounds down range in a quick and profecient manner. I have seen women do it with no problem. So once again there is nothing wrong with carrying condition 3 if you are properly trained to do so.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    1/05/2011 3:18pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't carry even though I have the permit. I used to think that if I did I'd do condition 3, but since whenever I train for sports it's always cocked and locked, I'd probably have to carry that way too so that my muscle memory doesn't screw me over.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2011 4:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    I don't carry even though I have the permit. I used to think that if I did I'd do condition 3, but since whenever I train for sports it's always cocked and locked, I'd probably have to carry that way too so that my muscle memory doesn't screw me over.
    I say carry whatever way you want to as long as you are aware of the problems you could face.....it is all about awareness these days. Can't be distracted when away from the house. It is sad but a person has to be on guard at all times now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2011 11:52pm

Style: Submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I carry a Taurus judge with PDX1's. Condition 1.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2011 5:43pm

Style: MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    USP.40 Condition one.

I was taught in the military to carry in condition one and when i was old enough to own my OWN pistol (the ridiculousness of that btw) kinda swung me toward a pistol that not only could be carried in Condition one safely but also had a mechanical safety. The USP, while not my favorite pistol is extremely ergonomic for me. The safety is in an excellent position and can also serve as a decocker should the need arise. The motion of drawing it while also switching it from safe to fire is very intuitive and is something ive been doing for so long that even on guns that DONT have a safety, like a Sig, i find myself making the 'thumb sweep' from muscle memory.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2011 7:42pm

Style: Limalama

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are people's thoughts on condition zero if your your gun doesn't have a safety? I think I would feel better with condition 1, but if it's in a good quality holster I don't see a huge problem. Maybe a blank as your first round for a quazi safety?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast