233666 Bullies, 3541 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: What level of readiness to you keep your pistol?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Condition 1

19 59.38%
  • Condition 2

8 25.00%
  • Condition 3

4 12.50%
  • Condition 4

1 3.13%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/12/2010 4:08am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, the only reason I was using Wolf was because it is just the worst ammo I know of. Dirty, poorly made and just generally crap. Perhaps there's an exception somewhere in their line, but not that I know of.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    12/12/2010 10:04am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wolf, or Brown Bear, feeds just fine through an AK 47.

EDIT:

I don't carry even though I've got a CCW. If I were to carry, I'd seriously consider just carrying a revolver. No worrying about if your safety got clicked off while you were squirming. No worrying about the round you keep popping out of the chamber every evening getting the bullet jammed too hard into the casing. No dis-assembly when you wipe it down to keep salt and sweat from building up on it. No possibility of fumbling with the safety.

A smooth trigger on a good revolver is much more pleasing to operate than a mushy trigger on a hyped up modern automatic.
    Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 12/12/2010 10:08am at .
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    12/12/2010 4:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I disagree with your pistol carry conditions:

THis is how papa moose learned it

Cond 1: Magazine inserted, round in chamber, slide closed, safety on.
    Cond 2: Does not apply
    Cond 3: Magazine inserted, chamber empty, slide closed, safety on.
    Cond 4: No magazine inserted, chamber empty, slide closed, safety on.

Also, I'd carry condition one (by my definition)

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    12/12/2010 11:12pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had a CCW for a while as it allows me to purchase and leave the store with a new gun at the same time without any waiting period. That said, I've only been carrying regularly for about a year. As such:

Condition 2: Loaded magazine inserted, chamber empty, not cocked

Until I am more comfortable with myself carrying a gun with "one in the pipe" I will continue to utilize this option. It requires you to un-holster, remove the safety, and rack a round, so you need to practice doing that. At the same time, for those who may be new to carry and/or not yet comfortable having a round chambered, this is a good option.

I currently carry a XD45. I also purchased a Taurus 1911 and a Taurus Millennium Pro PT-145 (both .45acp). Once I put some rounds in the 1911 and the PT-145 I may change my carry option. As long as the PT-145 holds true, it may become my primary carry option. However, the XD45 is the model with the thumb safety. As such, I consider it the "safest" choice to carry in condition 1 due to the grip, trigger, and manual safety.

I think the features of the gun you have, depending on your experience level, will dictate your condition options greatly.

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 1:43am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In time, you will probably prefer either the 1911 of the PT-145 simply due to their size. That being said, how do you like the PT-145? That's the DA/SA version, correct? If so, how's the trigger on it? What's the trigger reset like?

Also, what you're describing is Condition 3.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 9:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine View Post
    At the same time, for those who may be new to carry and/or not yet comfortable having a round chambered, this is a good option.

I disagree. In my opinion, if you aren't comfortable carrying with one in the pipe, you plain aren't ready to carry.

That's not an insult, not at all, but I say it for two reasons:

1. If you're not comfortable carrying with a round chambered (safety on, of course) then I sincerely doubt you're ready to put rounds on target, naw mean? Again, that isn't an insult, some people just don't have what it takes to shoot a human being, and until you're in that situation, you just don't know.

2. The amount of time it'll take you to present the weapon, take it off safe, rack a chamber in, and acquire the target is ludicrous. I highly doubt CCW types carry so if something happens 20 feet away, not facing them, they can do something about it. CCW types carry in case something happens to them, and I highly doubt capt criminal is going to wait while you put one in the pipe.

I suggest you get more comfortable with carrying it fully loaded, before you start carrying SIMPLY because in my mind, carrying it when its not ready to use is even more dangerous then not carrying it at all.

UNLESS you have one of those bad ass holsters that you "push" the gun out of and it racks it back/chambers the round for you. That's bad ass and you get +5 man points for it.

(AND BEFORE SOMEONE JUMPS ON MY BACK ABOUT THE SAFETY, THE TIME IT TAKES TO SNAP THAT BITCH OFF IS ABOUT AS LONG AS MY DICK. IE, NOT VERY LONG. [but still wholly satisfying to the ladies ;)] SO GET OFF ME, BRO)

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    12/14/2010 2:03am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    In time, you will probably prefer either the 1911 of the PT-145 simply due to their size. That being said, how do you like the PT-145? That's the DA/SA version, correct? If so, how's the trigger on it? What's the trigger reset like?

Also, what you're describing is Condition 3.
    You are correct sir, I fail at 2's and 3's.

I should be receiving it sometime this week. I plan on going to the range Saturday to put both the PT-145 and the 1911 through its paces. I will try to provide my initial impressions on it when I'm done. I will create a new thread and provide a link to this one for those who are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    I disagree. In my opinion, if you aren't comfortable carrying with one in the pipe, you plain aren't ready to carry.

That's not an insult, not at all, but I say it for two reasons:

1. If you're not comfortable carrying with a round chambered (safety on, of course) then I sincerely doubt you're ready to put rounds on target, naw mean? Again, that isn't an insult, some people just don't have what it takes to shoot a human being, and until you're in that situation, you just don't know.

2. The amount of time it'll take you to present the weapon, take it off safe, rack a chamber in, and acquire the target is ludicrous. I highly doubt CCW types carry so if something happens 20 feet away, not facing them, they can do something about it. CCW types carry in case something happens to them, and I highly doubt capt criminal is going to wait while you put one in the pipe.

I suggest you get more comfortable with carrying it fully loaded, before you start carrying SIMPLY because in my mind, carrying it when its not ready to use is even more dangerous then not carrying it at all.

UNLESS you have one of those bad ass holsters that you "push" the gun out of and it racks it back/chambers the round for you. That's bad ass and you get +5 man points for it.

(AND BEFORE SOMEONE JUMPS ON MY BACK ABOUT THE SAFETY, THE TIME IT TAKES TO SNAP THAT BITCH OFF IS ABOUT AS LONG AS MY DICK. IE, NOT VERY LONG. [but still wholly satisfying to the ladies ;)] SO GET OFF ME, BRO)
    I do feel you have a valid point but then there are other viewpoints to consider. Your argument is almost like saying "if you can ride a bike without training wheels, you shouldn't be on a bike at all". I'm sure some here would think that you advocating having the safety on means you shouldn't be carrying at all. Baby steps my friend, baby steps. Everyone has their own way.

As I've mentioned before, I've only started carrying somewhat recently. Before that, I've only owned guns for the past 4-5 years. Before that, I was in the military. But even before all of that, I live in what could be described as a gun-hating environment (i.e. pro-Democratic urban Detroit were guns are evil and getting them off the streets would mean less violence and crime). There are many of us out there who take a somewhat gradual approach to things. That said, I will endeavor to become more comfortable with carrying "one in the pipe".

Also of note, that argument effectively means those who live in California (open carry, unloaded, no round chambered) shouldn't be carrying...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2010 3:54am

Style: Backyard Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or you could learn how to chamber one on the side of your holster as you draw. Hard as hell but cool as ****. Course, I just leave one in the chamber, haven't met anyone yet who could shade me out the holster. :P

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    12/25/2010 12:57am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1911 condition 1

The way Mr Browning intended, and thus the intent of God himself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2010 5:31pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO, the carry "conditions" are mostly irrelevant nowadays.

If I had to revamp them, I'd say there's:

Condition 1 - Only action needed to fire is to pull the trigger (one action to fire)
    Condition 2 - Disengaging a manual safety and manually pulling the trigger are needed to fire, or manually putting a round in the chamber and manually pulling the trigger are needed to fire (two actions to fire)
    Condition 3 - Disengaging a manual safety, manually chambering a round, and pulling the trigger are needed to fire (three actions needed)

So to me, a Glock with a NY1 spring is in the same condition as with a 3.5 spring and connector and the same condition as a DA revolver with loaded cylinders and the same as a cocked 1911 with safety off and the same as a Mossberg or 870 with a chambered round and safety off and the same as an AR-15 or AK with a round chambered and safety off etc etc etc. Regardless of trigger weights, there is one action needed to fire.

A 1911 cocked and locked, chambered AR, AK, pump action, etc etc with a manual safety on needs two actions, as does a Glock with an empty chamber, 1911 with empty chamber and safety off, those same long arms with empty chambers and safeties off, SA only revolver, etc. Two actions.

A Glock can't be carried in my "condition 3" unless the magazine is removed or unless an aftermarket manual safety is installed. Long arms with empty chambers and safeties on, 1911 with empty chamber and safety on, etc. would be three actions.

Considerations about speed of bringing the gun into the fight, the "safety" of the gun or against AD's, etc. are all weighed based on the gun's design.

Anyways, My carry only pistols require one action (Glocks and DA revolvers).
    Last edited by Knave; 12/25/2010 5:38pm at .
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast