218283 Bullies, 8933 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: What level of readiness to you keep your pistol?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Condition 1

    19 59.38%
  • Condition 2

    8 25.00%
  • Condition 3

    4 12.50%
  • Condition 4

    1 3.13%
Results 11 to 20 of 47
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Robstafarian is offline
    Robstafarian's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,827

    Points
    2,465
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class5000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteranYour first Group

    Posted On:
    12/09/2010 12:37am

    supporting member
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    It's worth noting that there's a modification for 1911s and Hi-Powers for the safety in which you push the hammer forward and the safety engages. Then when you release the safety the hammer jumps back to firing position. Allowing for reasonable Condition 2 carry from 1911s. I wasn't able to find information on it earlier today when I looked, perhaps someone else has that on hand.
    That is the “Safety Fast Shooting System” made by Cylinder & Slide; the only reason I can think of for using it would be LEOs who aren't allowed to carry with the hammer back. Regardless of the reason for its existence, the SFS does not facilitate carrying a 1911 or Hi Power in Condition 2: though the hammer is down, that position is strictly aesthetic—the use and operation of the weapon still constitute Condition 1.

    My problem with this product, ideologically, is that it appears to remove a safety feature of M1911 and M1911A1 pattern pistols (though this feature may not be present on custom pistols): the half cock hammer position. Half cock is a safety function on a 1911, and it's described as such in John Browning's Patent Application filed on February 17, 1910 (before the thumb safety was part of the gun's design). Specifically, half cock is referred to as “the safety position” on Page 7 in the paragraph beginning “Heretofore in pistols of this class...” :homework:
  2. wetware is online now

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    1,077

    Points
    1,738
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Posted On:
    12/09/2010 2:16am


     Style: BJJ/MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I've been reading the half cock position of more modern 1911s is now simply a safeguard against mechanical failure since the hammer spends significant amounts of time cocked. The second hook on the hammer for half cock allows the hammer to stop before making contact with the firing pin preventing some accidental discharges in the even the primary hook fails. Most modern 1911s also have a firing pin block, transfer bar or other safety feature that makes the half cock obsolete as a drop safety feature.

    So if the hammer's forward and the drop safety is obsolete, what's the problem?
  3. Robstafarian is offline
    Robstafarian's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,827

    Points
    2,465
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class5000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteranYour first Group

    Posted On:
    12/09/2010 1:12pm

    supporting member
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    From what I've been reading the half cock position of more modern 1911s is now simply a safeguard against mechanical failure since the hammer spends significant amounts of time cocked. The second hook on the hammer for half cock allows the hammer to stop before making contact with the firing pin preventing some accidental discharges in the even the primary hook fails. Most modern 1911s also have a firing pin block, transfer bar or other safety feature that makes the half cock obsolete as a drop safety feature.
    Your mention of “modern 1911s” is why I specifically limited my comments to “M1911 and M1911A1 pattern pistols.” Said GI guns—and clones thereof—have neither a Swartz nor Series 80 firing pin block. I view the half cock position on GI-type 1911s as an important safeguard that I've been lucky enough not to test. When the hammer is in half cock position, the pistol is locked tighter than when the thumb safety is engaged. I make no claim of what other people should do; my preference is simply not to trade function for aesthetics.

    People who've bought an M1911 clone which has a Swartz or Series 80 firing pin block have already expressed their comfort with leaving behind the original design of the weapon, and I respect well-reasoned decision making.
  4. StygianChains is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    9

    Points
    130

    Posted On:
    12/11/2010 1:04pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Fencing-TKD-Capoeira

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1911 in Condition 1. Fast and easy, a flick of the thumb safety can be trained to become a natural part of your draw and present routine so as not to take extra time.
  5. JohnnyCache is offline
    JohnnyCache's Avatar

    All Out of Bubblegum

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,473

    Points
    18,593
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class25000 Experience Points

    Posted On:
    12/11/2010 1:34pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DA revolver with a full cylinder, no safety. Just draw and pull, vanishingly small chance of AD
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
  6. Audio Goose is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    17

    Points
    87
    Achievements:
    3 months registered

    Posted On:
    12/11/2010 11:25pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I carry a Glock 23 in Condition 0 whenever I'm carrying. I feel perfectly safe with it (I've slept on my couch with it on me) and if I ever need it, I know for a fact that it's ready to rock and that it's not going to jam on me. Plus I can throw it in the mud, step on it, pick it up, beat a guy with it, and it'll still be able to fire.
  7. fourTwenty is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    146

    Points
    1,704
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Posted On:
    12/12/2010 1:08am


     Style: Backyard Crappling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    DA revolver with a full cylinder, no safety. Just draw and pull, vanishingly small chance of AD
    This, except I like an empty chamber directly under the hammer. Minuscule difference though. Also not what I carry because my S&W is my primary carry and its a DA semi.

    Also, while I'm a HUGE fan of Glocks, that "Ak47 of pistols" and will not jam bullshit is bullshit. They are tougher than every gun I've ever owned (except my current S&W which is like stupid reliable for no good reason) but they will jam. Always at inopportune moments. Damn it.
  8. Audio Goose is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    17

    Points
    87
    Achievements:
    3 months registered

    Posted On:
    12/12/2010 2:03am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course it's possible for a Glock to jam, especially if not taken care of; that's any semi-auto. I guess I should rephrase and say that it's not as likely for it to jam as other semi-autos.
  9. wetware is online now

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    1,077

    Points
    1,738
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Posted On:
    12/12/2010 2:21am


     Style: BJJ/MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Audio Goose View Post
    Of course it's possible for a Glock to jam, especially if not taken care of; that's any semi-auto. I guess I should rephrase and say that it's not as likely for it to jam as other semi-autos.
    http://www.weaponscache.com/forum/pi...ture-test.html

    Yeah, not so much. Glock's not the only one that has some ridiculous reliability. I personally own an XD-9 that I put over 5000 rounds of the nastiest ammo I could find through without ever cleaning, just to see. Only one failure and that wasn't due to the weapon. The casing of a Wolf 9mm round crumpled as it fed and stuck in the chamber tearing the lip off the casing in the process. This could happen to any pistol with such crap ammunition. Of course the walk of shame off the range to disassemble the XD and dislodge the casing sucked, but I have no doubt that the XD will always go bang when I need it to.
  10. Audio Goose is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    17

    Points
    87
    Achievements:
    3 months registered

    Posted On:
    12/12/2010 2:57am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    http://www.weaponscache.com/forum/pi...ture-test.html

    Yeah, not so much. Glock's not the only one that has some ridiculous reliability. I personally own an XD-9 that I put over 5000 rounds of the nastiest ammo I could find through without ever cleaning, just to see. Only one failure and that wasn't due to the weapon. The casing of a Wolf 9mm round crumpled as it fed and stuck in the chamber tearing the lip off the casing in the process. This could happen to any pistol with such crap ammunition. Of course the walk of shame off the range to disassemble the XD and dislodge the casing sucked, but I have no doubt that the XD will always go bang when I need it to.

    Hmm.. Thank you for the link. I've heard nothing but good things about the Springfields, and this just another good thing I've heard/read. Would probably make for a good second pistol in addition to my Glock, although I would probably get a 5" barrel in .40 Cal (I'm a big fan of the .40 and .45s).

    And I usually stay away from Wolf IMHO; the only time I've bought wolf ammo was 7.62x54 ammo for an old Russian Mosin Nagat.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.