Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

World's First Commercial Spaceflight

Everyone better start working on their zero g fighting skills. Lucky for you, Bullshido is already leading the way in discussions on zero g combat training

An interesting note in the Time newsfeed about how NASA may become completely irrelevant after today.

SpaceX commercial craft heads into space

(CNN) -- SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket launched from Florida Wednesday morning, marking what could be a significant step toward commercial space travel. The craft lifted off from Kennedy Space Center at 10:43 a.m. ET.
    SpaceX CEO Elon Musk, co-founder of PayPal, said in July that if all goes well after a series of test flights, SpaceX will be ready to begin flying cargo to the space station next year. Musk says they can begin ferrying astronauts to the space station within three years.
    Other entrepreneurs in the emerging commercial space travel business say the ether will no longer be confined to astronauts. Spaceport America, a commercial launch facility in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, is expected to be fully operational by the end of 2011.

The company's main tenant, Virgin Galactic, hopes to launch short tourist excursions into space in the near future.
    YouTube - Video of SpaceX Dragon Capsule Test Launch for NASA

The next generation ship model from Virgin was shown off yesterday (its the ship in between the two jets there)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceShipTwo

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/08/2010 12:00pm at .

Style
    BJJ, MT, TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like taking baths because I like the feeling of my balls floating.

How weird would that be in zero G?

BALLS EVERYWHERE!

Style
    BJJ n stuff
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For a minute there I misread the word Spaceflight for spacefight - how cool would that be? Zero gravity close combat, I can't imagine there would be much striking given Newtons Third Law ("for every action there is an equal but opposite reaction"), just lots of grappling and th3 d34dly eye gouges etc. It would certainly make for an interesting experiment.

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Vlad View Post
    For a minute there I misread the word Spaceflight for spacefight - how cool would that be? Zero gravity close combat, I can't imagine there would be much striking given Newtons Third Law ("for every action there is an equal but opposite reaction"), just lots of grappling and th3 d34dly eye gouges etc. It would certainly make for an interesting experiment.
    You need to read this thread, particularly the Vomit Comet video.

**** it I will post it here to save you a few clicks. The discussion on this went from grappling to d34dli3s to SAFER (SAFER) personal thruster units to GIGANTIC SPACE MECHA.

Once space trade starts I imagine fighting up there won't be far behind. SpaceShipTwo will need mass driver cannons, deflector shields, and space marines in SAFER gear.

YouTube - Vomit Comet