Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 3:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Subyeok Chigi

I was doing some research and came across this on the Korean Ministry of Culture and Sports site. It is an art called Subyeok Chigi. Their information reads as such:

Quote Originally Posted by Korean Minsistry of Culture & Sports
    :
    Subyeok chigi is a traditional martial art unique to Korea. In the Goryeo period (918-1392) it was called subak or "hand hitting," while in the succeeding Joseon era (1392-1910) the Chinese character for "hitting" (bak) was either read with a different pronunciation (byeok) or replaced with a different character pronounced byeok and meaning "accumulation" or "habit."
    Subyeok chigi was a form of training or combat in which the opponent was attacked mainly with the hands, and in the Joseon period it became one of the necessary qualifications of a warrior, along with archery, javelin throwing, and polo.
    The theory behind subyeok chigi is that when the body adopts a straight posture and brings the palms together naturally without bending the arms, the center line is properly formed and the energy of the body is focused on the center line.
    The most important aspect of training in subyeok chigi is the attitude of the body and mind. First, a sloppy posture must be corrected to a balanced and orderly stance. Second, the breath must be calm and steady, not rough or heavy. Third, the mind must be at peace.
    There are a couple of videos on it on YouTube, but the only I found thus far in English YouTube - korean martial arts subyokchigi 수벽치기. There may be others, but I haven't really dug into that much yet. The only other site I have found on this, again without a diving to deep into looking, is www.subyokchigi.com. This is an all Korean site.

Has anyone heard of this or have practiced it before?
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 4:02pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard of it. It's historical veracity is something I have not been able to account for. That said, it looks...interesting...

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 4:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    I've heard of it. It's historical veracity is something I have not been able to account for. That said, it looks...interesting...
    I saw this and was wondering how far back this dates, for real, or if it was another Haidong Kumdo type history in other words something that looks historical but was founded in the 70's during some acid trip. :)

I pray Santa has not checked his list twice as I asked for a **** load of history books focusing on Korea's early Joseon period. I am almost done reading the Samguk Yusa which is f'n confusing book but still has some interesting information. I am hoping this will help verify or disqualify some of the historical claims being echoed through out some of the arts.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

"Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 4:29pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see Taegyun, Geomdo, & Aikido all in there.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 4:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    I see Taegyun, Geomdo, & Aikido all in there.
    Taegyun would be an interesting one to prove, or disprove. That one might actually take work. Not sure about Geomdo. Just depends on which sect of Geomdo we are talking about.

Eventually I will be going after the Killing Art and verifying a lot of those claims...true or not I am curious to know either way.

But...back onto this particular art. It does have a lot of the "dance" flavor lilke Taegyun has makes me wonder if it is somehow related.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 6:19pm

Style: taekkyon, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shin Han-seung, who first systematized taekkyon (after learning it from Song Duk-ki) is alleged to have found some guy who practiced subyokchigi as well. Shin died soon after, so the only evidence is some of Shin's notes. I think the guy behind this current subyokchigi is supposed to have started with those notes, but I don't know anything else about him. I've seen some of Shin's notes in a book, but what I saw didn't seem very descriptive.

Subyokchigi and taekkyon players wear similar shoes.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    12/07/2010 4:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TNMP View Post
    Subyokchigi and taekkyon players wear similar shoes.
    So outside of the shoes and some dancing prior to their fighthing they really don't share that much. Another interesting thing I saw was that they were doing some Mokkum work around 10m into the video. Wondering if this was taken from another art or something that is part of their system?
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Posted On:
    12/07/2010 5:31pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gicheon, perhaps?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2010 8:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gicheon shouldn't be mentioned in mixed or non-mixed company.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2010 9:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a page from a "subyokchigi blog" showing Shin Han-seung doing something, which looks like bits from the taekkyon form he created. Also, here's a history page from the same blog.

To me, subyokchigi seemed to be mostly about simple but pleasing forms with elaborate "philosophical" meanings.