Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 4:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H.E.M.A.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Decisions: Get back into Sikaran or try something new?

So, when I was young; Well, to be more accurate, younger, since I'm still a pretty young guy (18 to be precise). Anyways, I was saying, when I was young, I took Sikaran with Master Ferrer here in Saskatoon. Good teacher, good classes. However, my family had to move to the other side of town, and we were unable to get me to classes in a timely fashion on top of everything else in our lives, so I had to accept that I couldn't practice Sikaran anymore.

I've been out of practice for quite a while now, but now that I'm older and, more importantly, independently mobile, I was thinking of getting back into it. I mean, HEMA is great, and I love practices with my club, but I want to get into something with a bit more potential for competition. Not taekwondo, since that's practically all belt tests and tournaments from what I've heard about it (Though please, correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm pretty ignorant about most things), but something more competitive. I'd prefer something striking-based, but grappling would be cool as well.

So, should I get back into Sikaran, starting from scratch since my meagre skills have disappeared since I stopped, or should I try something new? Any recommendations on legitimate Saskatoon martial arts schools for a reasonable price?

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 4:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not knowing much about it I had to look it up.
    YouTube - Sikaran

YouTube - Sikaran Jumping side Master Ferrer

YouTube - Sikaran

I being completely ignorant on the subject of striking would say go with something else.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 4:53pm

Style: Limalama

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Competition" is kind of vague. What kind of competition do you want to do?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 4:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goodlun: May I ask why? I mean, I may have been young and ignorant when I took classes with him, but I'm fairly certain Master Ferrer can't be accused of bullshido. Mind you, I might be totally wrong.

Donoraen: A few tournaments, plus regular sparring, that kind of stuff. My HEMA club has regular sparring, but the only competitions for HEMA are way too far away for our club to attend.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 4:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EricD View Post
    May I ask why? I mean, I may have been young and ignorant when I took classes with him, but I'm fairly certain Master Ferrer can't be accused of bullshido. Mind you, I might be totally wrong.

Donoraen: A few tournaments, plus regular sparring, that kind of stuff. My HEMA club has regular sparring, but the only competitions for HEMA are way too far away for our club to attend.
    Bullshido is just lying about either credentials or fighting records or the awesomeness of your style vs other styles etc.., a style can have "meh" strikes and not be bullshido.

Edit:: Competition in full contact or point sparring? B/C if you go to one with only skills in the other for the most part your either going to get dqed for too much contact or splattered on the floor.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 5:04pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by donoraen View Post
    Bullshido is just lying about either credentials or fighting records or the awesomeness of your style vs other styles etc.., a style can have "meh" strikes and not be bullshido.
    I'd argue that teaching bad technique is absolutely bullshido.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 5:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, I see. I was defining bullshido as general martial arts-related bullshit.

Full contact competition would be preferred. I've got a lot of excess aggression to vent, and playing rugby doesn't cut it sometimes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 5:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I'd argue that teaching bad technique is absolutely bullshido.
    Would you argue it if they weren't designed for self defense? Having a weird array of kicks doesn't ring bullshido to me until I hear "and yeah when somebody tries to rob you you can totally crescent kick that knife out of their hand then frontflip bicycle kick them to death"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 5:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, I see. I was defining bullshido as general martial arts-related bullshit.

Full contact competition would be preferred. I've got a lot of excess aggression to vent, and playing rugby doesn't cut it sometimes.
    I would personally do something to like Muay Thai for full contact matches instead of this.

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 5:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goodlun: May I ask why? I mean, I may have been young and ignorant when I took classes with him, but I'm fairly certain Master Ferrer can't be accused of bullshido. Mind you, I might be totally wrong.
    Mind you I lack any sort of expertise on the subject.
    But the techniques looked to be so so. Not a lot of power generation kind of flashy even a little slow.
    With striking heck with martial arts I like to see a lot of the work being done from the hips. Also I tend to avoid anyone teaching striking that doesn't keep their hands up but that is just me. Once again i prefer to roll around on the floor anyways so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast