Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 8:11am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hanshi Carslake

Can't really comment on his grades, titles and this DVD or whatever it is, but I will say I attended a few of Sensei Carslakes seminars round about 2001-2003 and they were superb.

All realism, no faffing round with compliant ukes just sensible hard hitting Jujutsu.

He hit me with a strike to the inner thigh. I can't say whether it was a nerve point or a pressure point but it hurt like buggery for about a week.

He was also very good with a Tanjo/Escrima stick.

Never heard a bad word said about his skills, and he's got a captivating way of getting the message across.

No vested interest in him. Haven't seen the fella for eight years or so, but I did enjoy his seminars and there was no "chi knockouts" hocus pocus or any of that twaddle.

Hope that helps.

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 6:46pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting. Hmm. I have long seen Joe Carslake as a very senior JJ grade but I know nothing really about him myself. COMBAT mag has mentioned him in the context of SENI, to boost interest and encourage readers to book the seminars, and he was one of those listed.

I do know Sensei Martin Dixon and shall probably see him in May so I might broach the topic and ask for his view. No guarantees.

Stephen Grayston also got a lot of space in COMBAT as he seemed to be one of the drivers towards KARATE ENGLAND, the new Karate umbrella group for all styles. They even got funding BUT it all collapsed in acrimony with the person nominated as Treasurer (I stand to be corrected here) basically running them into the ground and they were bankrupted. Oddly, the Board paid for this chap to build an extension to his house for Office space AND paid him Motor Mileage and more 1 year in advance....speechless.

This chap also threatened one of the 6th Dans - it wasn't Terry O'Neil, that's for sure. Most of this made The Times and is a warning to all. They got an awful lot of public money first - more so than any other group.

Mr Grayston was written up in COMBAT as 10th Dan but - really - did he do the Time?

Thassit. Don't know more than that...

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 6:57pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ehh.. there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with his ability, why buy into bullshit hype marketing? ahh that's right, money.

It's actually a motivation I can respect, but IMO his 'dirty jujutsu' looks very similiar to the 'dirty jujutsu' I used to do, before I knew any jujutsu.

by the way:

Simon Keegan
    Posts 3

3 posts in 3 years? This guy is like the most amazing awesome lurker of all time.

Anyone who thinks they are alone, are wrong. Keegan is fukking lurking, and he knows who you are.
    Last edited by Colin; 3/15/2011 7:00pm at .

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 11:04pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Ehh.. there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with his ability, why buy into bullshit hype marketing? ahh that's right, money.

It's actually a motivation I can respect, but IMO his 'dirty jujutsu' looks very similiar to the 'dirty jujutsu' I used to do, before I knew any jujutsu.

by the way:

Simon Keegan
    Posts 3

3 posts in 3 years? This guy is like the most amazing awesome lurker of all time.

Anyone who thinks they are alone, are wrong. Keegan is fukking lurking, and he knows who you are.
    Great, now I gotta check under the bed before I go to sleep at night
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 5:34am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lurkio

Here we go - four posts in three years. I tend more towards the other martial arts forums normally since until recently, I found this one annoying because of its pop-ups and annoying typefaces. Maybe it's because I use an old Mac instead of a PC. But I digress, the site looks a lot better now.

Regarding Mr Grayston, he did used to be in Traditional Karate magazine a lot which is now part of Combat mag. I don't recall him having much to do with Karate England, and he certainly has little if anything to do with the English Karate Federation.

I was there at the launch of the EKF. I saw Ticky Donovan, John Van Weenan, Terry Wingrove and many of the usual suspects but Mr G was not there.

I have never met or trained with Mr Grayston but there is a lengthy thread on e-budo exposing his credentials. Upshot is, he started Wado Ryu Karate with Ray Barrow in about 1984 and trained a bit with Dave Hazard. He graded 1st or 2nd Dan at best. His other grades are either self-awarded or awarded by his own organisations which include the Hanshi no Inkai, the Kodosai etc.

His claims to have studied Kobayashi Ryu since the 1960s have been exposed as false. He even scanned in a picture of a Japanese politician off a Japanese bank note and said it was his teacher.

He was "presented" with his 9th and 10th Dan certificates by people like Vernon Bell and an admin clerk from the Japanese Embassy, but this was all contrived.

He dishes out 7th Dans, 8th Dans and Hanshi titles like they were sweets.

Right, back under the bed for me now. See you in three years.

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 6:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, this group is the source of the Danzan Ryu and Lamplighter award (see Mr Carslake's name under the 9th Dan section):

http://www.shoshinryu.com/index.php?...elt-honor-roll

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 6:34am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is the source of the Danzan Ryu and Lamplighter thing:
    http://www.shoshinryu.com/index.php?...elt-honor-roll

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 5:04pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muerteds View Post
    There are a number of Lamplighter awards, one of which is for literature, and one of which seems to be for improving the Jewish Community. I couldn't find a reference to a martial arts-related Lamplighter Award.
    Jew-jitsu

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 5:05pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muerteds View Post
    There are a number of Lamplighter awards, one of which is for literature, and one of which seems to be for improving the Jewish Community. I couldn't find a reference to a martial arts-related Lamplighter Award.
    Jew-jitsu

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 5:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

lamplighter

The Lamplighter and Henry awards are given by a US group called Shoshin Ryu Yudanshakai. I tried to post the link but it said a moderator needed to approve it or something.

If you google "shoshin ryu yudanshakai" and "lamplighter" you'll find them.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12