Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2010 10:27pm

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pressure points? No! Nerve points.

I got this via a pop-up ad the other night, and couldn't help but be sucked into the crazy: http://www.multipliedforce.com/nerve/.

I did a search for Joe Carslake here on Bullshido, but didn't find anything. I did find more on the web at this site:http://www.maa-i.com/who/5/James_A__..._carslake.html

There are a few things there that bother me, "nerve points" and mysterious teachers aside. One, Mr. Carslake says he was awarded the Prof. Henry Okazaki Award by "the Dan Zan Ryu". What Dan Zan Ryu? There are a number of danzan ryu organizations. None of them seem to give out a "Prof. Henry Okazaki" award, nor anything like it. He also claims a "Lamplighter Award". There are a number of Lamplighter awards, one of which is for literature, and one of which seems to be for improving the Jewish Community. I couldn't find a reference to a martial arts-related Lamplighter Award.

Ok, you ask, but why bring crappy nerve points here? Well, Mr. Carslake also claims a hachidan in danzan ryu jujitsu, and I can't find the DZR organization he's done it through. He does seem to have a presence here: http://www.ijjk.net/index.php?option...tpage&Itemid=1. There's not much there with regards to their ties to danzan ryu. There's not much there in general, aside from limited information on their personally created styles. There is a little wrong information about a hanbo vs. a jo, but that's just nitpicking.

So does anyone know anything about Mr. Carslake? I would be happy to accept legitimate DZR rank, and just laugh at his silly advertisement. However, after some sniffing around, it seems I should also regard his rank as suspect.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2010 10:35pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why the hell did you type all this out in Comic Sans?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2010 10:37pm

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well these kinds of articles/posts etc. really gets on MY nerves thats for sure.

also, lolz at comic sans

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 5:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, KFM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus View Post
    well these kinds of articles/posts etc. really gets on MY nerves thats for sure.

also, lolz at comic sans
    I prefer Papyrus.

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 7:50am

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His name has bounced around e-budo a bit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2010 1:48pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to a SENI event at the Excel centre in London a couple of years ago and Joe Carslake was taking a class on "pressure points" there which I gave a go. I can't comment on his titles, I did a little dig on google at the time but again not much came up.

The techniques he taught were more rough and consisted more of taking a hard part of your body and driving/digging it hard into the soft part of the other person eg Brachial nerve, jugular, mandibular angle, solar plexus. They were effective when properly applies and I can certainly vouch from the pain aspect. He demoed one on me and seemed competent and able as an instructor.

I would guess nerve points are to differentiate from the Dillman/DSI style of pressure points where it is more "mystical" and related to theories of chi, Joe Carslake's style was more like dirty judo/ old jiujitsu

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2010 4:30pm

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Madmonkey, thanks for the input. I'm not surprised by the "dirty jujitsu" angle, though I know a lot of the same things, and don't need shitty marketing to teach it :).

I will continue to laugh at his silly websales pitch, and am still not convinced his claims about rank and awards aren't a crock. But hey, I've been wrong before.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    12/07/2010 4:57pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I mean not that I don't support wedgies for people who teach "pressure points" and all.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 9:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, KFM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Joe was originally trained under a Japanese Ex- Prisoner of War! A guy who had been actually trained personally by the Japanese military as some sort of experiment!
    SOLD!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 2:14pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    googling Hanshi no iinkai brought up this website
    http://hanshinoiinkai.org/

Joe Carslake appears as an Irish member

http://hanshinoiinkai.org/members.htm

A search for Stephen Grayston brought up the following where it is stated that he was "exposed" on ebudo and Mr Carslake is mentioned by one of the posters as "being a good martial artist" but with a made up background.

Any1 Heard of Stephen Grayston 10th Dan Shindo-Ryu Karate? - boards.ie

Not sure on the validity of any of these claims just throwing it out there if useful

also found this which throws a bit more light on mr grayston
    http://martialarts.myfreeforum.org/sutra372.php

Graystons new org is called Kodo butoku renmei and their website is below. Mr carslake is a "bucho" for Ireland whatever that means

http://www.kodobutokurenmei.org/members.html
    Last edited by madmonkey; 12/08/2010 2:31pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast