Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/20/2010 4:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyone have any experience with the Glock 36?

I'm thinking of making this my next purchase for concealed carry. I've got a full size 1911 and a 4" 686 .357, which are fun for the range by a pain to carry. My wife has a .38 snubbie which is absolutely awesome, but I'm thinking of picking up something with a little more firepower in the .45 for the Glock 36. I like the feel of the slimline grip compared to the standard Glock, and think I can live with 6 rounds instead of 10. Curious about the opinions of the more informed, Cassius and Lord Skel, among others.

If not the 36, any other polymer/light weight sub compact auto you'd suggest? I'm partial to .45, but could be persuaded into .40.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    11/20/2010 5:10pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I'm thinking of making this my next purchase for concealed carry. I've got a full size 1911 and a 4" 686 .357, which are fun for the range by a pain to carry. My wife has a .38 snubbie which is absolutely awesome, but I'm thinking of picking up something with a little more firepower in the .45 for the Glock 36. I like the feel of the slimline grip compared to the standard Glock, and think I can live with 6 rounds instead of 10. Curious about the opinions of the more informed, Cassius and Lord Skel, among others.

If not the 36, any other polymer/light weight sub compact auto you'd suggest? I'm partial to .45, but could be persuaded into .40.
    I love glocks, especially the newest generation, but I'll try not to let that taint my advice. If what you're looking for is the slimline grip, I don't think you'll do much better than a glock 36. That said, I've never shot one, only held it and played with it a bit. A former teammate owns one, and likes it quite a bit.

If you want other options for single stack subcompacts, I have heard positive rumblings about Kahr's line of compact 45s as of late, but I have never even held one before. Supposedly police officers like them as backups. If you can find it, you might also want to look into a Taurus PT145 in single stack. If you decide you want more capacity, I believe Kahr and Taurus both offer single stack variations of the same pistols in .40.

If you're still willing to investigate double stacks that aren't glock, that opens your search up to the usual polymer suspects. Beretta has a line of double stack subcompacts as well, but I don't know anything about them. CZ makes a really nice weapon in .40, the P07 duty. Almost bought one a few months ago.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    11/20/2010 5:18pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A gen 3 glock 36 has been my uncle's primary carry for at least over 5 years. I've shot his a couple of times and it handles very nicely. I'm more of a fan of high capacity than anything, so for me that was the deal breaker, but if I wanted a slim .45 I would defintely take another look at it.

Posted On:
    11/20/2010 5:40pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    If you want other options for single stack subcompacts, I have heard positive rumblings about Kahr's line of compact 45s as of late, but I have never even held one before. Supposedly police officers like them as backups. If you can find it, you might also want to look into a Taurus PT145 in single stack. If you decide you want more capacity, I believe Kahr and Taurus both offer single stack variations of the same pistols in .40.

If you're still willing to investigate double stacks that aren't glock, that opens your search up to the usual polymer suspects. Beretta has a line of double stack subcompacts as well, but I don't know anything about them. CZ makes a really nice weapon in .40, the P07 duty. Almost bought one a few months ago.
    The single column PT145 you refer to is actually the PT745 (Millennium Pro, available in blued and stainless finishes).

Taurus also makes two compact .45ACP models with 10 round double stacked magazines: the PT145 (Millennium Pro, available in blued, stainless, and "Duo" finishes) and the PT24/7 Pro Compact (available in blued and stainless finishes).

I hope this clears things up a little. As usual, the links to Bud's are only for a quick price reference (I can find things quickly on their site, analogous to linking to Newegg for computer parts).
    Last edited by Robstafarian; 11/20/2010 5:41pm at . Reason: Rearranged paragrphs

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/20/2010 8:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Slimline pistols? The Glock 36 (45ACP) is a pretty good (for a Glock). The Sig 239 (9mm/40SW) is also a good slimline auto. Me? I'd roll with the HK P7M8 slimline 9mm. LOL Yeah, I had to put that in there. The P7M8 feels the best!

Posted On:
    11/20/2010 8:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The HKP7s are high quality. Even the magazines are a step above in quality over everything slse, really solid. I like my Sig245. Reliable, compact but large enough to handle and accurate as Hell. I usually bring along at least one or two 8 rd 220 mags so that gives me between 15-23 rds of flying ashtrays.

Posted On:
    11/20/2010 10:40pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HK really got the P7 right. The only mistake they made on it was discontinuing it. Too dang expensive to find the M8 models with the proper mag catch, though. I really like the P239 as well and the Walther PPS is nice except for the rough trigger pull.

I have a P239 on my list, personally.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/27/2010 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just picked it up. $492, came with 2 magazines and a magazine loader. I'm a big fan of it, already looking to pick up a decent holster. I'll take it to the range hopefully sometime this week and give a report on my experience.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    11/27/2010 4:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been looking for a good IWB holster for my Glock 26 forever, I finally gave up and got a shoulder holster for winter, it was $80

Posted On:
    11/27/2010 5:23pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Just picked it up. $492, came with 2 magazines and a magazine loader. I'm a big fan of it, already looking to pick up a decent holster. I'll take it to the range hopefully sometime this week and give a report on my experience.
    You DID get the blue label LEO/Military price for that, right? Glock hooks service members up.

At any rate, looks like you got a good deal on it. Let us know how you like it!
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast