Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2011 10:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In class today I think I got some bad advice. The normal instructor was out so a new guy filled in for him he is a purple belt in Jiu jitsu and I think has been training in MMA for awhile with some cage time. In class we were going over some punching drills and he kept on saying don't push with the punch, you want that snapping motion with your jab.

I'm still new to Muay Thai but at my weekend class the instructor kept on saying kick through your target, punch through your target. Let me see the power.

If I am snapping my punch back on contact with target how can I get the go through your target feel?

Can someone fill me in on this? Cause today i kept on hurting my elbow with the way he was showing us. Also when he had us doing the jab cross on the cross he had us turning our fist to where if you crossed with your right the thumb was pointing down like your about to give someone a thumbs down. He said this added more power and gave you more reach.

It did and sounds right but I just want to double check

Posted On:
    3/21/2011 10:31pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reekon_Nox View Post
    In class today I think I got some bad advice. The normal instructor was out so a new guy filled in for him he is a purple belt in Jiu jitsu and I think has been training in MMA for awhile with some cage time. In class we were going over some punching drills and he kept on saying don't push with the punch, you want that snapping motion with your jab.

I'm still new to Muay Thai but at my weekend class the instructor kept on saying kick through your target, punch through your target. Let me see the power.

If I am snapping my punch back on contact with target how can I get the go through your target feel?

Can someone fill me in on this? Cause today i kept on hurting my elbow with the way he was showing us. Also when he had us doing the jab cross on the cross he had us turning our fist to where if you crossed with your right the thumb was pointing down like your about to give someone a thumbs down. He said this added more power and gave you more reach.

It did and sounds right but I just want to double check
    Keep in mind that the jab is the an all purpose punch in your toolbox. Need to find your range? Jab. Want to make some distance? Jab. Want to keep your opponent from hitting you? Jab. Want to hit them with something solid? Jab. You jab going forward, you jab going backward, you jab circling away from your opponent's power hand, so obviously you're going to jab differently in different situations, but you're rarely going to do real damage with a jab. Sure, it can blow up someone's nose once the gloves are off but you're not likely to knocking anyone out with it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2011 11:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok, i got that so I guess that snap is ok, second part i forgot to ask earlier. I am left handed but can stand either way, I don't favor a side So when i walk up to spar what ever side I stand to is totaly random. So every time i would hop out and come back in the guy was like ok, what foot are you going to lead with? And the guy who was teaching the class said don't change up, it's just gone confuse you. I wasn't doing it showing off, it just feels normal on both sides so I do it with out really knowing. So what is your take on this? should I pick a side and stick with it or is it ok to switch up?

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 10:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok, i got that so I guess that snap is ok, second part i forgot to ask earlier. I am left handed but can stand either way, I don't favor a side So when i walk up to spar what ever side I stand to is totaly random. So every time i would hop out and come back in the guy was like ok, what foot are you going to lead with? And the guy who was teaching the class said don't change up, it's just gone confuse you. I wasn't doing it showing off, it just feels normal on both sides so I do it with out really knowing. So what is your take on this? should I pick a side and stick with it or is it ok to switch up?
    Stick with one side for now, work on the other later. Since you're primarily left handed you are better off sticking with a right lead for now because it'll cause a lot of right handed fighters problems and give you some advantages. One example is that since you generally circle away from your opponent's power hand, oftentimes a fighter will automatically circle toward yours. The downside of this is that there's a lot of techniques that differ for orthodox vs. southpaw such as counter hooks. Is your instructor left handed, by chance?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 12:40pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The instructor Saturday told me to lead with my left foot even after I told him I was left handed. I guess it is easier to teach the class with everyone leading the same way.

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 12:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The instructor Saturday told me to lead with my left foot even after I told him I was left handed. I guess it is easier to teach the class with everyone leading the same way.
    That's unfortunate. My instructor is actually left handed and even though I'm predominately right-handed I got used to a right lead from a few years of American Ke?po and can switch with little effort. Being able to switch is a good thing, in my opinion. The upside is that you'll be working your 'weak' side and eventually it'll be easier for you to switch to a southpaw stance at a later time. If your instructor isn't well-versed in the tactics used by left-handed fighters it might be better to train righty with him for the time being. At some point it would be good for you to train with a lefty, though.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 1:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't mind trainimg with my left lead, cause my right feels real weak and it feels like I have no control over it. When I throw a hook it feels akward and lands funny on contact. I knew this would not be easy but I didn't think learning correct form would be as hard as it has been.

:)

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 2:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would advise practicing with both. We'd often do the drills from both sides anyway. My girl feels pretty natural from lefty and righty. It's very close for her, and she has good power from both, just a little more from the left. (Writes lefty, but plays righty guitar).

Overeem, in his fights, switches stances often, esp. in his K1 fights. If you're sparring, and have the ability to go from both, by all means, use it to confound and confuse the range/timing of your sparring partner. If it feels natural to you, you probably should.

Some fighters fight strong side forward, so it's not a cardinal rule, across the board. I do it, sparring, and I'm not even close to equal from both sides...but it sets up a better lead leg sidekick, and a more oomphy jab...especially if my left jab is getting tired, and I'm not ready to stop throwing one. You gotta do what works for you.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234