Posted On:
    12/14/2010 10:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Amok

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pump all the way.

If I had the coin though.......

Last edited by jr urbina; 12/14/2010 10:16pm at .

Posted On:
    12/15/2010 9:03pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My personal choice wouldn't be a shotgun because of time constraints only allowing me to train regularly with one system, handguns. If I were going to buy an HD shotgun again, though, I would buy a Saiga 12 or a Mossberg 590. My last shotgun was a 6+1 870 express. A friend of mine and I went to the both got ones brand new within a few months of each other and both of us had problems with them. Apparently QC has gone down on the Express models because a local shop had seen a few come back over the last year or so when I told them about it. My friend kept his and put about a hundred bucks into getting it running perfectly. I sold mine to another friend at a big loss since he waned a project shotgun anyway.

Posted On:
    12/16/2010 6:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    My last shotgun was a 6+1 870 express. A friend of mine and I went to the both got ones brand new within a few months of each other and both of us had problems with them.
    That's a troubling development. They used to be the gold standard in reliability. In fact, their reputation was equaled only by the Mossberg 500 series, and when the simplicity of the 870 was considered, that was enough to make them a superior platform in a lot of peoples eyes.

Unfortunately, all the simplicity and steel components in the world won;t make up for a gun that won;t shoot.

What a shame!

Posted On:
    12/16/2010 6:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    My last shotgun was a 6+1 870 express. A friend of mine and I went to the both got ones brand new within a few months of each other and both of us had problems with them.
    That's a troubling development. They used to be the gold standard in reliability. In fact, their reputation was equaled only by the Mossberg 500 series, and when the simplicity of the 870 was considered, that was enough to make them a superior platform in a lot of peoples eyes.

Unfortunately, all the simplicity and steel components in the world won;t make up for a gun that won't shoot.

What a shame!

Posted On:
    12/17/2010 2:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was a disappointment for sure. Would love another if I could find one that was reliable for sure. The action was much smoother than on the 500s and 590s I checked out.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/17/2010 12:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm really unsure as to where this myth originated...that the "pump is more reliable than the semi-auto"---because they simply aren't. You want to see failure? Come to any police academy range during their basic police academy's firearms week. I regularly see officers from over 40 jurisdictions arrive with their 870s....with a sprinkling of Beretta 1201s and M1 Super 90 autos. Guess who has constant trouble with failures to feed, locked pump arms, and failure to extract/eject? It isn't the semi-autos, if that gives you a clue. I see roughly between 120-140 students a year through two basic police academies (more if you count advanced patrol tactics and other specialty schools) with those damn 870s and I'm telling you I wouldn't risk my *dog's life* on one of those guns. They almost all go down at one point or another and simply can't stand a steady diet of buckshot and slugs for any amount of sustained time. I've had to fix and repair so many of the damn things...I've gone to "beyond jaded" with them...I simply accept the fact that I'm going to spend hours repairing the damn things.

However, if you want something that's going to work when the time comes...get yourself a good semi-auto and don't look back. Again...my two cents from over a decade on the lines with them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2010 1:57pm

Style: Backyard Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    Complete gun noob here, but me and my wife are researching shotguns for the house. A friend's dad is a retired cop of 30 years, and he recommended a break-action shotgun for the following reasons:

-They tend to be shorter due to the lack of the pump mechanism, and therefore easier to handle indoors
    -Easier to load/check if loaded
    -Less moving bits

Gun bullies, what's been your experience with break-action guns, and what can you recommend? I haven't got my heart set on one, I'm just looking for more information before I drop the money on anything.
    People around here sometimes don't read. See the part I bolded? Get a fucking break-action.

They can't jam.

You can't **** up. (i.e. The "pumping action" is not something that is just natural. You have to rack it all the way back and then all the way forward. You can and will **** this motion up.)

Also, I don't know what some people up here are thinking but you shouldn't need more than two shots in your shotgun. I don't know who on these boards have ever jumped up in the middle of the night and fired a shotgun off indoors but trust me, your not getting too many shots off. Especially not in a controlled and aimed fashion.

Lots of people are posting pics and ideas with what they've got or would want. Simple fact is, if your inexperienced with a firearm then a break-action is unquestionably your safest and most reliable source for home protection.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2010 2:04pm

Style: Backyard Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor View Post

However, if you want something that's going to work when the time comes...get yourself a good semi-auto and don't look back. Again...my two cents from over a decade on the lines with them.
    Wait, What?!

I'm not going to argue the reliability of pump vs semi but if you want something that's going to work when the time comes get a break-action.

Semis WILL CERTAINLY JAM. Pumps WILL CERTAINLY JAM. You know when? According to Murphy, right when you fucking need them the most. You know what CANNOT JAM. A break-action. Granted, I don't have anytime on firing lines but two decades of hunting will teach you a bit about the ol' scattergun.
    Last edited by fourTwenty; 12/17/2010 2:08pm at .

Posted On:
    12/17/2010 2:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FourTWENTY,

I don't know what year you think this is, but as far as I can tell we're almost in 2011. In the last 100 years semi auto weapons of all types have evolved a lot and we have not just a few, but COUNTLESS examples of dead nuts reliable autos of all categories. Is there a perfect auto? No, but damn near IMO from many manufacturers. I have yet to see a Saiga 12 or Benelli M4 fail. Have you? Really?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/17/2010 2:44pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aren't home invasions usually done by at least two people? I understand that firing a shotgun indoors will scare the hell out of everyone, but it seems preferable to actually be able to shoot and kill the intruders and have a margin of error (by having more than 2 shots)
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast