pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/18/2010 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fourTwenty View Post
    Seriously, are you guys getting broken in on by more than two people at once?
    Possibly, but even with two people, two shots seems like a gamble.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2010 4:12pm

Style: Backyard Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Depending on the area most home invasions are generally two or more people.

Yeah but you're done after that and you might not be done.

The same reason I can't recommend at break open is the same reason I don't go out with only two rounds in my pistol.
    I gotta get out of the damn country. 'round here we just fire the damn gun out the window and go back to sleep.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 12:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I gotta get out of the damn country. 'round here we just fire the damn gun out the window and go back to sleep.
    You're in North Carolina too?
    Here are a couple of recent home invasions all involving more than one person.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40608314...ws-raleigh_nc/
    http://yellowtape.blogs.starnewsonli...home-invasion/
    http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8578555/
    http://charlotte.news14.com/content/...n-turns-deadly
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 1:22pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.aolnews.com/2010/12/17/po...ld-be-robbers/

Castillo refused to comply and reached behind his back and pulled a pistol out of his waistband. The shopkeeper then shot one of the suspects, and the other two men began to exchange fire with him, police said.

"Castillo then retrieved a shotgun he kept in the store and shot and killed the two remaining suspects," Harris said.
    This guy would have been dead with a double barrel....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 7:07pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I've seen several posts about keeping a round in the chamber of a pump action.

The reason that it is generally not recommended to keep a round chambered in most pumps is because pumps are generally not drop safe/impact safe and can discharge if dropped or hit right. If the time it takes you to pump a shell into the chamber costs you anything, you probably lost before you even picked up the gun.

There also seems to be alot of posts about S12's...

I have one that I converted myself. You can buy a gun shipped and transferred for about $500. If you know how to operate a drill, you can convert one to be equivalent to a Tromix gun for $300 or so if I had to estimate real quick.

But anyway, there are some significant functionality and reliability concerns for keeping a Saiga as a home defense shotgun, and for the vast majority of people I'd say the costs, tinkering, and upkeep involved aren't really worth it for practical purposes vs. the standard pump actions.

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 3:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You can't **** up. (i.e. The "pumping action" is not something that is just natural. You have to rack it all the way back and then all the way forward. You can and will **** this motion up.)
    WTF? Dude, if you can't operate a pump reliably under pressure, then maybe you shouldn't be handling guns in a more general sense.

Come to think of it, my Mossy 590 is among the only repeaters in my collection that has NEVER jammed. (The others are a bolt action rifle, and a revolver.)

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 3:18pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    WTF? Dude, if you can't operate a pump reliably under pressure, then maybe you shouldn't be handling guns in a more general sense.
    If you can't operate a pump under pressure, it seems likely that opening a breakopen shotgun, pulling out the two spent cartridges, and putting in two new ones is at least as difficult to do, and involves manipulating small objects into perfectly-sized holes

Posted On:
    12/20/2010 6:50pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Come to think of it, my Mossy 590 is among the only repeaters in my collection that has NEVER jammed. (The others are a bolt action rifle, and a revolver.)
    I don't know about you, but I've never been in an armed confrontation before so I don't know exactly how I'd react unter the pressure of a life or death situation. Since I don't know how I would react, I can only have so much confidence in my ability with a shotgun with a manual action. I don't think I would have a problem because the action of pumping a shotgun does seem to come naturally to me, but since I don't actually know I would find it preferable to have something semi auto to remove the possibility of user error as much as possible. Once again, I don't know about your experience so ymmv.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2010 2:42am

Style: Backyard Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dude. I've been hunting since I was born. I've seen everbody **** up at least once, and usually more than once. I've done it, if you've spent 10+ years firing a pump shotty you've done it. ****, I've seen old-ass men who've hunted since you near 'bout had to straight up fucking forget to pump the thing before. I was just saying, **** happens. The OP says he was a n00b so I said breakaction. Click-Boom Click-Boom, go back to bed, remember to call cops in morning.

But after reading more of this thread and thinking on it I might sway my opinion towards a semi shotgun. Or you know, a handgun, which is what I'd really recommend for home defense. Whatever you get, put some time in with it and learn what you're doing.

And have a backup.

Posted On:
    12/21/2010 6:45pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Theres a reason pumps have dominated in Military and LE use for almost 100 years now.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011