Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/05/2010 9:37am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Home defense shotgun- breakopen or pump?

Complete gun noob here, but me and my wife are researching shotguns for the house. A friend's dad is a retired cop of 30 years, and he recommended a break-action shotgun for the following reasons:

-They tend to be shorter due to the lack of the pump mechanism, and therefore easier to handle indoors
    -Easier to load/check if loaded
    -Less moving bits

Gun bullies, what's been your experience with break-action guns, and what can you recommend? I haven't got my heart set on one, I'm just looking for more information before I drop the money on anything.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2010 10:39am

Style: ex-Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    Complete gun noob here, but me and my wife are researching shotguns for the house. A friend's dad is a retired cop of 30 years, and he recommended a break-action shotgun for the following reasons:

-They tend to be shorter due to the lack of the pump mechanism, and therefore easier to handle indoors
    -Easier to load/check if loaded
    -Less moving bits

Gun bullies, what's been your experience with break-action guns, and what can you recommend? I haven't got my heart set on one, I'm just looking for more information before I drop the money on anything.

When you say "break action" i'm assuming you mean single shot shotguns like this

and double barrels like this

Assuming you get proper training and compentency in firearms, I would much rather have a pump shotgun for home defense. In break action models you have either 1 or 2 shots whereas a pump shotgun will hold more rounds.

This is what I keep in my bedroom except that I added a folding stock That is what i have for home defense. For squirrel hunting i use the NEF single shot break action shown in the first pic.

Posted On:
    12/05/2010 11:33am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pump. They don't cost that much and frankly a capacity of two rounds is ridiculous for self-defense, especially if you're not good with a gun. Remington 870 for $320.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_871/products_id/95077

Further, get plenty of range time, learn gun safety and educate your children.

Posted On:
    12/05/2010 11:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A nice double barrel coach gun (I think Stoeger Arms still makes one) could be useful for home defense. The sound of a pump shotgun racking a round into the chamber is universally recognized and probably has resulted in more retreats than anything else in the home arsenal. I also wouldn't be put off by the larger number of moving parts in a pump. There still aren't so many and good models (Rem 870) see many, many years of use and abuse in LE and military inventories and still function well.

Posted On:
    12/05/2010 12:39pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pump. Why carry less immediately available ammo?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2010 1:19pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go with a pump. The sound of the pump will scare most anyone off before things turn ugly. Not only that but you are better safe than sorry and having extra rounds will be a comforting feeling if you are ever in a scary situation.

Posted On:
    12/05/2010 2:22pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    Pump. Why carry less immediately available ammo?
    This, many times over. If one shot is good, and two are better, how good would five shots (based on Mossberg Model# 50452) be?

Also, consider your balance before you buy a shotgun. If your joints become quite stiff during the night, you might have difficulty with follow-up shots in the wee hours of the morning (this, in combination with my disability, is why I chose a handgun for defense).

Posted On:
    12/05/2010 3:07pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, that's overwhelmingly in favor of the pump-action. As far as gun safety, I know the basics(the gun is always loaded, especially when it's not/don't point it at anything you aren't prepared to shoot) but my wife insists on both of us taking a safety class before anything gets bought.

Would you say the ease of loading/ability to tell if it's loaded or not is at all significant in the comparison between break and pump? I'm not going to lie, I really like the look of some of the guns Stoeger makes, but I guess that's not terribly relevant when you're talking about a gun for the house/range.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/05/2010 3:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    Well, that's overwhelmingly in favor of the pump-action. As far as gun safety, I know the basics(the gun is always loaded, especially when it's not/don't point it at anything you aren't prepared to shoot) but my wife insists on both of us taking a safety class before anything gets bought.

Would you say the ease of loading/ability to tell if it's loaded or not is at all significant in the comparison between break and pump? I'm not going to lie, I really like the look of some of the guns Stoeger makes, but I guess that's not terribly relevant when you're talking about a gun for the house/range.
    I think safe practices will benefit you way more than a round chambered indicator. It's your weapon, practice always having it unloaded (I think your state may dictate as such), and also practice always checking regardless. Get in that habit, and then a loaded indicator isn't even a factor in purchasing.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 12:00pm

Style: Shaolin/Judo/JuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870, both synthetic stocks. The 870 has the Speed Feed stock that stores an additional four rounds. They are both loaded, alternating OO Buckshot and Deer slugs. One is upstairs and one is downstairs. Nothing in the chanber, just ready.
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast