Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2010 6:29pm

Style: ex-Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm reading the same article but i don't interpret the phrase "my life isn't worth living" to mean "i'm going to kill myself and/or others". Maybe that's just a comprehension error on my part but I don't necessarily think they mean the same thing.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/04/2010 6:35pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamash View Post
    I'm reading the same article but i don't interpret the phrase "my life isn't worth living" to mean "i'm going to kill myself and/or others". Maybe that's just a comprehension error on my part but I don't necessarily think they mean the same thing.
    That's fine. I've seen and experienced enough people using that, or a very similar phrase, to see why the mom freaked out.

Posted On:
    12/04/2010 6:45pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I thought the whole point of our justice system was so that a judge and 12 of our peers could use this thing called common sense in order to prevent injustices like this.
    He should have been more careful about the high cap magazines and hollow points though.
    Using "common sense" as a juror is very difficult. Information is controlled by the judge and the respective lawyers. Questions may not be answered. And basic "common sense" techniques like finding additional info on your own and talking about the case with your friends and families is forbidden. I found the experience of sitting on a jury very surreal.

Posted On:
    12/04/2010 7:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    Using "common sense" as a juror is very difficult. Information is controlled by the judge and the respective lawyers. Questions may not be answered. And basic "common sense" techniques like finding additional info on your own and talking about the case with your friends and families is forbidden. I found the experience of sitting on a jury very surreal.
    True, especially as they did not receive the instructions from the judge in order to use the moving exemption. I have sat on juries 2 times both times gun crimes and people can get rather irrational when a gun is involved just in general.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 4:45pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well especially in NJ where probably nobody really knows anything about guns for the most part.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 6:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamash View Post
    The second issue is that the posession of hollowpoint ammo suddenly means you are nefarious. Lots of hunting bullets are hollow points. I have a single shot 45-70 NEF rifle and the bullets I have are hollow points.
    Since much of New Jersey is like a DMZ, they decided that all citizens should abide by the Hague Convention at all times. You know, because if you're going to shoot somebody, it should just be bad enough that they can't shoot back. No point in all this senseless killing.

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 7:25pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread has about 5 minutes to go somewhere productive.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    12/10/2010 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In all honesty, from what I've seen (and read) about gun laws in my state, we're trying to get as close as possible to just not having any right to bear arms at all here. Carry permits are apparently only granted after establishing a need to carry for a work permit-which would be fine, if the state would accept my job as 'trying to not get robbed'.

I can see where the state is coming from-the state tends to be pretty liberal, but the problem is we have a serious population density problem and our cities tend to be some of the most violent in the country, and the plan, I would assume, is to cut down on firearms in an attempt to reduce violent crime. The problem is that now we just have criminals with guns and everyone else without. A friend of mine's father has a few handguns but IIRC he has to keep them in a safe unless he is transporting them to a range.

A lot of this, again, is just speculation, but my state pisses me off with stuff like this.

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Posted On:
    12/21/2010 11:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickapoo View Post
    In all honesty, from what I've seen (and read) about gun laws in my state, we're trying to get as close as possible to just not having any right to bear arms at all here. Carry permits are apparently only granted after establishing a need to carry for a work permit-which would be fine, if the state would accept my job as 'trying to not get robbed'.

A lot of this, again, is just speculation, but my state pisses me off with stuff like this.
    Me too. New Jersey does not want its citizens to be armed, and I have never bothered with it here. I had deja vu reading this thread, Kickapoo, then realized you and I discussed this once before.

I am a New Jersey resident for almost a decade now, and lived/hunted for a long time in Pennsylvania (a very gun friendly state). NJ is one of the LEAST permissive states in the US if not THE least permissive when it comes to making it easy for citizens to own guns, let alone carry them. And yes, I agree it has a lot to do with the murder capitals of Trenton, Newark, and Camden all being here.

Open carry or concealed, forget it unless you are LEF. Even private investigators and private security have a very hard time getting permits to carry in NJ. There is a published statistic (that I cannot find of course) about the number of non-LEF people in NJ licensed to carry, its something like less than 1% of the state.

Contrast that with how easy it is (allegedly) to purchase a gun illegally in Newark or Camden, and you can see why NJ residents are frustrated. The bar for criminals to obtain weapons in this state is incredibly low, and the bar for citizens who want to arm is incredibly high, but everyone wants the law here to be tough on gun carriers regardless of their intentions, it seems.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/21/2010 11:30pm at .

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Posted On:
    12/24/2010 12:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From Fox, the the only place for decent gun news.

Looks like he's now free, but wants to go after the NJ judge. Anyone familiar with the NJ court system knows just how clean, lawful, non-self-serving, and corruption-free it is........................................not
    Brian Aitken told Fox News on Thursday that he is armed with an e-mail he claims he received earlier this week from a juror who told him that then-Superior Court Judge James Morley pushed the jury into obtaining a conviction.

"Interestingly enough, I got an e-mail from one of the jurors a night or two ago, and he told me, 'You know, we all pretty much knew what was going on. We knew the judge was bullying us to this position. That's why we came back three times and asked for the exemptions,'" Aitken said.
    He was later convicted and sentenced to seven years in prison in August. But after serving four months in a New Jersey prison, the cause célèbre for gun advocates was released after New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie commuted the sentence on Monday.
    Nappen told FoxNews.com earlier this month that Aitken qualified for a legal exemption to the carry statute because he was in the process of moving from his parents' home in Mount Laurel, N.J., to Hoboken.

Nappen said the issue was raised both during the trial and in a pretrial motion to have the case dismissed, but Morley refused to provide the jury with the exemption statute.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/12/23...est=latestnews
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/24/2010 12:59pm at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12