Sponsored Links Spacer Image

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    12/04/2010 12:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bear in mind though, new judoka who have current/previous striking experience tend to have pretty good coordination on their 'weaker' side because in striking arts we are usually taught to lead with it. This is the reason why some people like me actually throw better to the left. I get what you're saying, I just feel like it shouldn't be a blanket ban.

A case by case basis is probably the best way to go about it.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    12/04/2010 12:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    Bear in mind though, new judoka who have current/previous striking experience tend to have pretty good coordination on their 'weaker' side because in striking arts we are usually taught to lead with it. This is the reason why some people like me actually throw better to the left. I get what you're saying, I just feel like it shouldn't be a blanket ban.

A case by case basis is probably the best way to go about it.
    If you're better coordinated to the left, then I guess that would make your right your weaker side...

Although my comments were directed more at those coming from a non-MA background or with little stand up experience.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    12/04/2010 2:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Judo coach suggests you have throws to the right and left off your preferred grip, though not necessarily the same ones. My best (read, least appalling) throw is a left-handed ippon seoi-nage from a right-handed grip. I'm not confusing my coordination because I don't really use (or practice) it to the right.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/04/2010 2:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think it has a lot to do with how coordinated and athletic you are, as well as how old you are and how much time you have to dedicate to judo.

in my case, i am an older, injured recreational player with very limited goals for my judo. i also tend to be very slow at learning physical activities, have a lot of trouble learning coordination and the mechanics of techniques, but once i get them, i really get them. keeping that in mind, i am focusing on throwing from right handed grips only (although i also will do left handed ippon seoi nage from a right handed grip.)

another brown belt in my dojo is an 18 year old kid, is my sensei's nephew, is athletic as hell and getting a lot of attention and training outside of class. he is learning to throw from both left and right handed grips and has been pretty much since he got his green belt, which is making his judo very difficult to deal with, and i expect him to batsugun his way to shodan within a couple of years and to be a serious competitor.

there's no one answer for everyone.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    12/04/2010 3:15pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    My Judo coach suggests you have throws to the right and left off your preferred grip, though not necessarily the same ones. My best (read, least appalling) throw is a left-handed ippon seoi-nage from a right-handed grip.
    Strange... are you me?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2010 5:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the Judo clubs I have attended in Norway it seems to be common practice to do throws with both left-handed and right-handed grips pretty much right from the bat. I remember being put through a throwing "marathon" in my first months of Judo, wherein I had to run back and forth, throwing people with both right-handed and left-handed grips. Non-existent cardio combined with poor technique equalled one hilariously poor left seionage after another.

Posted On:
    12/04/2010 5:47pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    I remember being put through a throwing "marathon" in my first months of Judo, wherein I had to run back and forth, throwing people with both right-handed and left-handed grips. Non-existent cardio combined with poor technique equalled one hilariously poor left seionage after another.
    I know exactly the drill you mean its pretty much the worst drill you can ever do and it makes my wince whenever I'm at a club which does it. You might as well spend the time taking up smoking cigarettes because they're both equally usless to learning Judo and both end up with you picking up bad habits.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2010 6:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you know how much cigarettes cost where I live? They might me widely available and effective, but they sure aren't cheap.

I completely agree with you in regards to the drill, though. I just could not see the wisdom of, in a rushed manner, trying to pull off a left sided version of a throw I really couldn't do properly on my right side either.

Posted On:
    12/04/2010 6:37pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    Do you know how much cigarettes cost where I live? They might me widely available and effective, but they sure aren't cheap.

I completely agree with you in regards to the drill, though. I just could not see the wisdom of, in a rushed manner, trying to pull off a left sided version of a throw I really couldn't do properly on my right side either.
    I went on pretty much every overseas trip/ exchange programme when I was in school, but Norway and Russia were the only ones I didn't go in, but from what I hear it costs 12kr just to breathe outside...

Funny story, when the Norwegians came over to visit us all the male Norwegians went to the gym at lunch time then hit the showers and had some kind of naked wrestle. Very very odd...

Mind you this is before I knew about no gi grappling so I may have been misinterpreting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2010 7:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When no gi grappling hit its stride worldwide, we thought it sounded really, really weird. But we didn't want to be the stubborn scandinavian guys, so we took it all off and started to go at it.

Then some newbies started to question whether no gi had to mean no clothes. We expelled them immediately.

On a side note: Going abroad really benefits one's training. We don't have a very large competitive Judo community in Norway (If it ain't got skis or a ball, we ain't interested). I can only think of one or two guys that are actively competing at a very high level. Therefore it is always refreshing to see how it is done in other countries with more competitive pedigree. The UK being a prime example.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12