--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

USA, 2010: TRON: Legacy

TRON: Legacy
    USA, 2010
    Genre: Action, Science Fiction, Dystopia
    127 minutes
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1104001/

Sam, the son of missing programmer Kevin Flynn, unwittingly finds his way into the world of TRON, where not all is right with the world his father built.

The sequel to the cult hit TRON, this story takes place more than twenty years after the events of the original film. Itís a passable sequel, although it feels as though only fans of the first movie will really walk away from this one with anything. There are numerous referenced lines, visuals, and other chatter that would be completely meaningless to those walking into the franchise for the first time. Still, whether working with the original or standing alone, the story is a pretty flat and predictable ride through a cyber-techno police state, with clichť heroes and villains, and a very typical character arc. Newer viewers will be bored with whatís presented while old fans will be demanding something more from the sequel. The actors do what they can with the script, and kudos to Garrett Hedlund for his small injections of snarkiness to an otherwise bland hero. The material reaches high to inspire with lofty themes of free information and the dangers of too much control, but ultimately comes off as contrived, leaving the audience with only somewhat entertaining characters in a story as two-dimensional as the computer screens in the film.

Visually, TRON: Legacy is very impressive, updating the feel of the original with spiffy new CGI graphics. Granted, everything does take a sort of video game sheen to it, but thatís to be expected given the subject matter. However, the select use of neon lighting and high contrast shots results in a very dark film in some areas, making it very difficult to actually see the tension on screen, especially when watching it in 3D, which dims everything further. On the other hand, the sense of scope and wonder they bring to the artificial world is breathtaking, complemented by the driving beats of Daft Punk, who contributed the original score. Fans of the French music duo will quickly get their moneyís worth from the movie, who lace their tracks under moment of low and high intensity alike. As a piece of pure aesthetics, this can be an incredible film for its stunning sense of style, but these things are ultimately brought down by the more mediocre aspects of the story and thematic elements.

The action is as digitized as you would expect to be, and then even moreso. However, unlike movies set in our world, the CGI explosions contribute to the overall flavor of the film, playing up the unrealism of the crash. The fights themselves, using both the signature lightdisc and more conventional weapons, are mostly a combination of digitally enhanced acrobatics and the sci-fi visual flair. The choreography is basic and executed decently by the non-stunt people, but itís definitely not a highlight of the film. Overall, TRON: Legacy might be worth a watch for those familiar with the original, or those with an open mind about the universe it creates. Itís a generally fun ride through a different world, and will definitely appeal to at least a very select audience in theaters.

Blog Link: http://fightfilmfriday.wordpress.com...y-tron-legacy/
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 5:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the review Conde Koma. I've been wanting to watch it but I was waiting for reviews. Now, I can watch it without worries

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 5:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come onnnnnnn, you know I love you, man, but TRON 2 a martial arts movie?!

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 10:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agree 100%. This is a visually stunning movie but the story's just...eh. Still, it's not a bad way to spend two hours, and fans of the original will appreciate it. I wonder: did anyone here spot Daft Punk's cameo in the movie?

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 10:52am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you saw Predators, this movie will remind you of that movie in feel. They basically took the original movie and added more action. The pacing is still off and there is a ton of DeJa Vu going on through out the movie.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a movie about video game warriors who fight with cyberweapons, so it's essentially a fighting/war movie; I think it fits with the internet fighting geek culture of BS.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 11:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    If you saw Predators, this movie will remind you of that movie in feel. T
    Meaning the star of the movie (Brody) and the first killed (Trejo) should have switched places?

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 12:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Merry Meow Meow View Post
    Come onnnnnnn, you know I love you, man, but TRON 2 a martial arts movie?!
    Looking Behind the Curtain:

I was trying my damnedest to get my friends to go watch The Fighter that night, but they wanted to watch Tron 2 instead. It's still an action movie/fight film, so it fits under my umbrella of "Stuff I Decide is Okay to Review", but the real fight film review will have to wait until next week. Along with True Grit. And probably a Christmas special. This is gonna be a busy holiday.
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 12:10pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, the use of an identity disc as a weapon is pretty awesome idea for a fictional martial art. In the first movie the fighting was all through disc throwing, whereas in the sequel the disc was wielded as a blade. This made for some interesting fight sequences.

So, yes, martial arts movie.

As far as the story goes, I expected it to be simple and bland. The original was an amazingly simple story and it only made sense that the sequel would follow suit. Because I expected it, I walked away satisfied. Conde is also right that there are a TON of throwbacks to the original. It almost felt like this movie was simply to say, "Hey, there' was a movie about 28 years ago, remember that?"

My biggest complaint
    Spoiler:
    Why introduce the Dillinger character other than a throwback to the first movie? If that was all, then just say the name. Instead they introduce the character and show that he's every bit of a dick that his father was. Sam's prank is easily thwarted by Dillinger and he does it in a cocky manner. Showing us this much of a character makes us expect to hear more from him later, but no that's the last you see of the character. WHY??
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."óSigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    12/19/2010 1:01pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Moonracer View Post
    Meaning the star of the movie (Brody) and the first killed (Trejo) should have switched places?
    Danny Trejo needs to be the lead in more movies..imho
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast