Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 11:29am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    which movie are we talking about? Good Bad Weird, Good Bad Ugly, or Warrior's Way?
    Neither.

I know very little about Western films in general.
    Obviously.

The Man with No Name is a staple Western archetype, perhaps best personified by Clint Eastwood during his partnership with Leone.

He does not express emotion, perhaps other than occasional glimpes of compassion and contempt. He does not exhibit any character development. Rather he is the force which drives the character development of those around him. The Man with No Name rolls into a burned out and defeated town, inspires other characterss, kills all the badguys, and rides off into the sunset.

Skinny is the best example of this character in decades. Indeed, he could be seen as the quintessential example of this archetype, since Eastwood's performance of the Man with No Name was inspiried by Mifune's performance in Yojimbo, hence the cruz of "The Warrior's Way".

Again, with no appreciation of the genre or its conventions, or the cultures involved, the movie falls flat.

You review as a modern American movie goer, and pass your reviews off as educated criticism.

Not every film has to have character development, and i never said they did.
    And yet your main criticism of this movie is that Skinny doesn't show any character development...again, because you do not understand the references or the genre.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 1:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    The Man with No Name is a staple Western archetype, perhaps best personified by Clint Eastwood during his partnership with Leone.

He does not express emotion, perhaps other than occasional glimpes of compassion and contempt. He does not exhibit any character development. Rather he is the force which drives the character development of those around him. The Man with No Name rolls into a burned out and defeated town, inspires other characterss, kills all the badguys, and rides off into the sunset.
    Note: I haven't seen Warrior's Way yet. I was going to go yesterday (cuz off) but the missus had Xmas shopping for me to do.

And I will take this a step further. Often times, there is some manner of perception or speculation that the MAN WITH NO NAME (MWNN) character is possible "otherworldly". Not so much in "Fistful" or "Few Dollars" but in "High Plains Drifter" and "Pale Rider" MWNN is seemingly the Devil in the first and an Angel (of Death) in the second. There has to be something greater driving him and the beauty of the MWNN genre is: it is never handed to you. His causality is a point of speculation as he is as much villain as he is hero. His machinations are his own and he restores as much peace as he does disrupt it.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 1:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm familiar with the Man with No Name archetype, I was asking which character you were referring to specifically. And the only reason I was bringing it up was because:

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    The Warrior's Way is a live action manhwa. It had plenty of violence at the beginning, good character development in the middle, and a great ending.
    And now you're saying that it wasn't supposed to have character development, which is what I agree with. That said, it shouldn't have tried to do the love story angle if it was going to do things poorly, and it shouldn't have been boring as **** in the first two parts of the movie.
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 1:53pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm familiar with the Man with No Name archetype, I was asking which character you were referring to specifically. And the only reason I was bringing it up was because:
    Bullshit.

If you were so familiar, how come you didn't get the reference throughout the course of the movie?

And now you're saying that it wasn't supposed to have character development, which is what I agree with. That said, it shouldn't have tried to do the love story angle if it was going to do things poorly, and it shouldn't have been boring as **** in the first two parts of the movie.
    It had character development, it just wasn't Skinny who was supposed to develop, which again, IS PART OF THE ARCHETYPE.

If you didn't like the movie, fine, just say so. If it wasn't your thing, fine just say so. Give your reasons for not liking it.

But don't go contriving reasons & saying you speak for the common moviegoer. You come off as an arrogant asshole & I'm fucking tired of it.

You've got a reviewer tag, not a critic tag.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 2:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    who was developing then? the girl? maybe she learned to fight, but she was still the same vengeful-mostly-nice-girl in the end as the beginning.

no reasons are being contrived except the ones you're coming up with to defend this thing.
    Fight Film Friday
    Click here to donate!

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 2:15pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's all the development she needed.

Let's not forget the Sharpshooter/narrator.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 2:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he didn't develop so much as change on a dime as the plot required it.
    Fight Film Friday
    Click here to donate!

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 2:21pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he didn't develop so much as change on a dime as the plot required it.
    Yup.

That's all that was needed.

Again, you went expecting something completely different from what you were seeing. No familiarity with the culture, no familiarity with the genre.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 2:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if it was a more entertaining movie, i wouldn't have cared that there was no real character development.

Good Bad Weird had barely any character development at all, but it was fun to watch because things were happening. That is the extent to which I was expecting from Warrior's Way; something to watch and enjoy during the first half of the film. If they aren't going to show action, they should do more than stumble through a half-assed story and script. Unless you're saying this was somehow intentional?
    Fight Film Friday
    Click here to donate!

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 3:26pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good Bad Weird had barely any character development at all,
    **** I do not know what version you watched, but the one I saw had character development and "the man with no name" archetype.

Thanks though, I now understand your movie reviews. They make more sense now and aren't nearly as bad as I thought. They are actually pretty good now that I understand your perspective.

No, that doesn't mean I agree with them.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast