Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 11:09am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Seriously, Konde Coma, you need to stop reviewing martial arts movies.

You have no love or appreciation of the genre and I am getting fucking tired of reading your horrible effite reviews of awesome movies.

"The Warrior's Way" was fucking awesome.

It was the greatest movie in the history of film...ever...
    i was wondering when you'd jump in on this. i said it as a joke before, but do you really just latch on to anything made by koreans?

you are welcome to post your own review, or debate the points i've written about. but, seeing how you shied away from specifics in the geochilmaru review, i wonder if you'll follow through.

i love the genre more than any other, but i only love it when it's done WELL.
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 11:12am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Seriously, Konde Coma, you need to stop reviewing martial arts movies.

You have no love or appreciation of the genre and I am getting fucking tired of reading your horrible effite reviews of awesome movies.

"The Warrior's Way" was fucking awesome.

It was the greatest movie in the history of film...ever...
    Interesting. I had all but written the movie off based on Conde's review. I thought Ninja Assassin was not too bad, with the right mix of tongue in cheek.

I guess I have to see it now, but I'll probably wait for the DVD.

Ticket prices are too damn high.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 11:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Conde, how much lee-way are you willing to give a film that OVERALL isn't great but has a couple of decent scenes?

Example: Ong Bak 2, overall was pretty shitty. HOWEVER, I liked the croc pit scene, like the end fight scene and liked how Jaa mixed some 5-Animal Kung Fu into his TKD/Muay Boran...so I generally offer my opinion to others that the film was O with the qualifier of "a couple of decent scenes".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 1:51pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are ready to be a main-stream critic now as most semi-enjoyable movies get trashed by you. Some men dont need Oscar winning movies each and everytime. I would put this movie in the same catagory as Machette and RED.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 1:59pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chainpunch View Post
    Some men dont need Oscar winning movies each and everytime.
    Those men don't need movie reviews.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 2:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Those men don't need movie reviews.
    they only need the words: "Starring Brian Dennehy"

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 3:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a lot of leeway with movies. Production quality, acting, story; these things are all nice, but the most important thing is always entertainment.

One of my first reviews on the site, Blood and Bone, is pretty terrible as far as film-making standards go, and I said so. However, it was enjoyable and fun, even if it's stupid as hell. The same goes for the Expendables, which I absolutely loved despite it being dumber than Stallone's bicep. Even True Legend, which is almost unwatchably bad in the non-fight scenes, is redeemed because of the fun action.

The Warrior's Way has none of this. Geochilmaru has none of this. Never Surrender has none of this. Obviously, it's very difficult to make a film that is COMPLETELY devoid of decent scenes (The Room, maybe), so every movie has at least something mildly amusing in it. But some films are so imbalanced that at the bottom line, it's not worth your ticket money, in my honest opinion.

Maybe you'll watch Warrior's Way and be totally sold on just the fact that it's ninjas fighting cowboys. More power to you. But as I said in my original review, there's terrible visuals, a boring story, and NO ACTION FOR THE FIRST HALF OF THE FILM. Like, none. I was prepared to forgive Mr. Lee if there was something to keep me entertained during the first two acts, but there was really nothing. And even when the action got started, it's lazy and boring to watch.

If you don't believe me, I can't say anything more. I'm always prepared to defend everything I've written, but I obviously can't stop you from going to the theater if you absolutely must see it on the big screen. You can then come back here and tell me if you think I was off-base or went too far with my analysis. This is a discussion, after all, and maybe you'll have some insights that I missed or didn't care for. Some people find a lot to talk about with Wes Anderson films, I don't really like them (see Sociocide thread if you want to discuss that one further). What I don't want is some person just saying I didn't give the film a fair shake and then never defend the movie itself or counter the points I made. If you're going to talk ****, you should at least be willing to step into the ring.
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 3:47pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    I have a lot of leeway with movies. Production quality, acting, story; these things are all nice, but the most important thing is always entertainment.
    Yes, and sometimes you miss this.

The Warrior's Way has none of this. Geochilmaru has none of this. Never Surrender has none of this. Obviously, it's very difficult to make a film that is COMPLETELY devoid of decent scenes (The Room, maybe), so every movie has at least something mildly amusing in it. But some films are so imbalanced that at the bottom line, it's not worth your ticket money, in my honest opinion.
    See this is why you get **** from Der and me on some occasions. It is not COMPLETELY DEVOID of decent scenes. You just don't like what you see and that is fine. Some of your reviews come off as rants against a genre and others don't. Again there is nothing wrong with that but, you are going to get people that disagree.

If you can't handle that, start your own website and disable comments. This one and geo read to me as disappointed rants.

Thenn faster reads like you broke it down with no animosity.

Maybe you'll watch Warrior's Way and be totally sold on just the fact that it's ninjas fighting cowboys. More power to you. But as I said in my original review, there's terrible visuals, a boring story, and NO ACTION FOR THE FIRST HALF OF THE FILM. Like, none. I was prepared to forgive Mr. Lee if there was something to keep me entertained during the first two acts, but there was really nothing. And even when the action got started, it's lazy and boring to watch.
    This also depends on how you took the film and one of the problems I have with most critics and reviewers. I do it myself at times and hold movies to a standard that is evolving. I enjoyed it because it was an update of a very old drama. It could have been done better but, it fits with the imagery.

What I don't want is some person just saying I didn't give the film a fair shake and then never defend the movie itself or counter the points I made. If you're going to talk ****, you should at least be willing to step into the ring.
    Don't be a hypocrite by saying "I want discussion only on my terms" it makes you sound like rabbit.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 12/06/2010 3:53pm at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 3:48pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The movie had cowboys & ninjas.

COWBOYS & NINJAS.

Set your standard by that barometer.

The baby was adorable.

The sword-dancing scenes were well-choreographed & Lois Lane was convincing in her final fight.

The opening was hilarious. I was disappointed they didn't keep up the comic-book scripting throughout the movie.

Showing you had no love for genre: You didn't notice that the lead ninja was also the lead in the classic dadashasha film "A Better Tomorrow"

Your problem is that you don't accept movies for what they are.

You walked into 1h40min live action manhwa and were disappointed that it wasn't "Last of the Mohicans".

Pretentious much?

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 3:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the previews, Warrior's Way...cinematically looks fucking awesome.

As for Ninjas fighting Cowboys....well, I liked Outlander (check out my kick-ass Sociocide review) Galactic Soldiers and Vikings vs. Space Dragons. Pathfinder: Indians vs. Vikings. Hells bells son, I'm even looking forward to fucking AVN: ALIENS VS NINJAS. To be honest, Ninjas vs. Cowboys is MORE then enough to sell my country ass on a film from any Carney worth half his dandruff weight in salt.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast